Awoo.

Super Smash Bros Brawl+

Giza

Stolen from Jiangjunizzy's topic on smashboard

INTRODUCTION

1) What is Brawl+?

Brawl+ is a project pioneered by the smash community with the intent to make Brawl a deeper, more competitive game. With codes compiled by the hard working hackers that created them, the player has access to codes which can do anything from disabling tripping to bringing back combos. This does not mean, however, that we are trying to copy Melee, the game will still feel like Brawl, but your options will greatly expand.

2) Why shouldn't I just go play Melee instead?

Despite our efforts to bring features that were in Melee into Brawl, these are mechanics that were present throughout the Smash Bros series that were strangely left out for Brawl's release. We believe those mechanics are imperative to a unique game such as Smash Brothers, and after extensive testing with these changes in place, many of us find the game a lot more enjoyable. You won't have the metagame, the characters or the stages if you played Melee. Also, if you are anything like me, you camped out for your wii and checked the dojo every night. Why should all that effort go to waste?

ALSO! CHARACTER BALANCE! That's right! You heard it here first! Melee is notorious for being imbalanced, and regular Brawl is just as bad, if not worse in terms of character balance. This project will do everything it can to help the lower tiers be playable. Although the mechanics in Brawl+ already greatly balance the cast so that nearly 85% of the characters are already tourney viable, the brawl+ community will definitely take measures to make sure your favorite character can compete as well. So if you're worried these hacks will make your character garbage, fret not. Brawl+'s goal is to make this a fast paced, balanced, enjoyable experience.

3) I've come to the conclusion that I hate this project and everything it stands for. Although I refuse to test it myself the very thought of selfishly altering a game to make it more enjoyable sickens me as I'm sure it pollutes the intended experience (which is to have fun, but that's besides the point!). Is there anything I can do to stop you guys from playing it?

No.

4) Are there any videos of it in action?

You can check out the
, or you can simply youtube Brawl+ and sort by date and you will get many videos that players uploaded already. Here are some matches to definitely check out:

Awesome Combo Vid by Shanus.

Great Match. Check out his Other Vids.

The Cape joins the Brawl! Check out his other matches.

Old, old vid of Brawl+, but this one is still great.

5) That's cool, but will Brawl+ ever be used in tournaments? What is it's potential to become tournament worthy?

Brawl+ is NOT Melee 2.0
. It isn't attempting to emulate Melee, and never will.

Brawl+'s potential to become tournament worthy is good, however, it depends on how well the game is received at actual tournaments. It's easy to understand why many people don't see the point in Brawl+ if tournaments don't even host it. At the moment, Brawl+ isn't even finished, so it's hard to really say. We are hoping that the more people play it, the more people realize that it's a lot of fun. From what I've personally experienced, most people that have tried it enjoy it, so if anything, it can be played for fun (That's what games are for aren't they?).

6) When will the project be done?

Brawl+ is an ongoing development that is completely community driven. Much like a PC game which is continually patched to fix minor problems, Brawl+ will experience a similar production. Right now we are pretty far into Brawl+'s development and what would really help out the process is more dedicated playtesters that are proficient at the game (or any of the other Smash bros games).

GAMEPLAY/CHARACTERS

7) Does the 'no tripping' code make bananas (and moves like zelda's dtilt) useless?

No. The no tripping code simply makes the random chance of tripping zero. Any other attacks/effects that may cause tripping are still in tact.

8) How do the codes affect gameplay? What should I expect from Brawl+?

Fighting games are about risk/reward. Regular Brawl's overly defensive metagame has reduced it to a campfest. Brawl+ is here to remove that and bring back the fast paced, adrenaline pumping action that the smash bros series has been known for. To promote a faster paced game and the risky maneuvers that make playing and even watching Smash Bros matches so exhilarating you can expect to be able to combo (and be comboed), actually make use of your tech roll and greatly rely on your ability to DI to avoid being decimated by your opponent. With simply the hitstun code in place, Brawl+ has put every character on an equal ground as every character now has the opportunity to do a sequence of attacks that allow them defeat their opponent. Gone are the games of tag that vanilla Brawl once was. In short, you should expect Brawl+ to be an extremely fun, new experience.

9) Are you going to balance my character?

One of Brawl+'s main goals is to make sure that every character is tournament viable. This doesn't mean we will make Jigglypuff heavier or Fox harder to combo. What this means is that the project will be sure to give every character the tools necessary to be deadly and a force to reckon. You can read what character balances are being tested in the Brawlplusery

10) Do I need to learn how to wavedash to play Brawl+?

NO. BRAWL+
Edited by Giza

• 2 months later...

LARGEST BUMP IN SSMB HISTORY!

Okay me and my friends were thinking about doing this but like anyone else, we needed a website and have many questions about it.

LARGEST BUMP IN SSMB HISTORY!

Okay me and my friends were thinking about doing this but like anyone else, we needed a website and have many questions about it.

Unfortunately for you there have been larger bumps that go as far as 8 months to 2 years ;(

Other than that, I'm gonna try this out when I pick up my new copy of brawl.

This is something I would try, but I'll wait for my Wii's Warranty to expire (I've had terrible luck with Wii's. I'm on my 3rd one.). Then, I'll try Brawl+ and homebrew, but this does seem interesting.

I've tried this some time ago, it's really fun, and the character balance is so much better in Brawl+. If you haven't tried this, I recommend you try it out, as long as you have homebrew on your Wii of course.

Unfortunately for you there have been larger bumps that go as far as 8 months to 2 years ;(

Guilty as charged.

I totally want to play this, but I've never had any experience with properly hacking any game system, or even going as far as to attempt. Though a guy I know has said he might be able to help me, but there hasn't been much word aside from just that.

Other than that, I'm gonna try this out when I pick up my new copy of brawl.

Well since we are on new forums, I count this to be the largest!

Anyways, I really really want to do this but I dont have hacking exp yet. :(

Guilty as charged.

There's been worse than you've ever done. Remember when the Deem Bristow's death thread was bumped right before the crash?

I would try this only if it promises me that will not make it a "tourneyfag dream" like melee was...

Hontestly, every vid i saw with this makes the cheapness OVER 9000!!! I mean, the opponet doesn't get a SECOND to even recover!

I would try this only if it promises me that will not make it a "tourneyfag dream" like melee was...

What does that even mean?

You'll play it as long as it's shit? You'll play it just as long as no one else likes it? You'll play it as long as it's not balanced? You Nintendo kids are incredible, tournament is not a dirty word people.

I CAN agree that balancing the characters and removing the random tripping is a good idea...a VERY good idea, indeed.

I just don't like the whole "We want to make this stuff for tournaments" thingie that they try to say. I like competitive play as much as everyone else, but sometimes tournaments just suck the whole fun factor with the calssic "We just play in final destination" and "never use items, ever". You still have to use strategy on those situations.

I have always see Smash bros as a "Party Fighting game" more than just a "fighting game". Smash is more about wacky gameplay than for extremly tournament-like competitive gameplay...that's more for games like Street Fighter (that I also friking love)

II realize I sounded mean, really mean, in my previous post and I apoligize...I DO like this idea since some annoying things (like random tripping) will be removed and the characters will be more balanced (seriously, what's the point of having a full roster if you will just play as Falco or Marth?)...so if they get more balanced people will play as them more and tournaments will at least have some variety in their fighting. But they sound like if normal brawl was a pile crap (It's not that bad game, but they make it sound like it) and that melee is a friking masterpiece...Melee was good but god it wasn't perfect: Many of their characters where unbalanced as well.

What it makes me angry is not what the makers of this thing will archieve, but more the players that are going to play it. I can bet that most of them, even with a roster far more balanced, will still stick with Marths and Falcos and just play in Final Destination like if it were the only stage aviable...

Is not the tounaments that I don't like...is just the the tourneypeople that just get to the point of insult just because you like to play with items. Gosh, those people really need a chill pill sometimes...

Edited by Viku

^ Picto-Chat is a great stage and i like to play as everyone once in awhile. The characters are "Unblanced" because theres a certain thing. Fast/Weak characters rely more on combos(Sonic) While Strong/Slow characters rely on smash and strong attacks, as they can't combo much(Ike).

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Interesting, =D. I'm going to chat with some of my friends sometime to see if they are interested, <3. It didn't take me long to realize why Melee lasted me years and years while Brawl only really held my attention for multiple months. I know that Brawl+ isn't a Melee clone, since it very, VERY clearly states that, but it seems like this is making the best of both worlds into one perfect one to say. I love the stages and characters and movesets from Brawl, but I love a large majority of the properties from Melee. I was never a wavedashing, super tech Melee gamer, but just it's coding in that game had so much more appeal to it.

I'm probably going to have to read a shit load of stuff since my Wii has been updated, and I've never tried to soft/hardmodded anything before. You guys make it sound pretty easy, so I guess it won't hurt to try, =3. I don't have any more Wii games to honestly really look forward too anyways if I screw it up, XD.

Thanks for the info though, I can't believe I missed this topic in March. I would have been on this right away if I saw it, =o. Maybe I can finally get good enough so I don't feel so intimidated by masterful players like Giza, XD.

-Blur

Only real men use items.

I for one do not think competetive = fun. I think Brawl is more fun than Melee.

I played Brawl+ a little and went back to Melee to play competetively at one point, but I gave up due to the "pro" players being such jerks about it to people who actually enjoy the game Nintendo released.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's been worse than you've ever done. Remember when the Deem Bristow's death thread was bumped right before the crash?

Hm. I bumped the "How Fast Should Sonic Go" which was almost 3 years old, with the last post saying that Sonic wouldn't get any faster than he did in Sonic and the Secret

Only real men use items.

Speaking of which, why is it such a crime to some people to use items in brawl, melee, etc? I don't get it, 90% of items make the match funny as hell, but most other people want SERIOUS BUSINESS type matches.

Also my copy of brawl stop functioning recently, and I'm still waiting on a new one :(

So no Brawl plus for Jetronic ;(

Edited by Jetronic

I have an underlying hatred for people who take this game far too seriously than they should. Smash Bros. is a party game, it's meant for fun. I guess they'd rather be super serious MAD FACE >:C when playing as top queer tier characters.

Speaking of which, why is it such a crime to some people to use items in brawl, melee, etc?
Same reason it's such a crime to play without them.

In any sufficiently large group of people, you can guarantee that some of them will be scum. You can hate the scum, but don't get caught in the idea that everyone in that group is no better than its lowest members.

You want to play Smash Bros for the crazy unpredictable party sort of fun? Go for it. You want to play it for a more refined and balanced tournament sort of fun? Go for it. Just don't be an ass to people who want to play the other way.

If they make a patch that makes online games playable then I'd be happy to download it, until then I don't really care.

^ Thats impossible, though online isn't bad, it only is bad if:

1)You have no friends on your FC roster.

2)You do random matches.

And 3)Your friends or yourself have a bad connection.

I have now played a codeset of Brawl+ and well.... I approve it! Only problem is my friend has it on his Wii but I cant get it because...like a dummy I updated my Wii this morning (1pm BIG WOOO -__-). Soo now I can't play B+ because i needed the version before the update :(

Nice sarcasm! But yeah Wii is bad as crap with that. Stupid NES making an update soo certain people cant play B+.