Awoo.

Do you like complaining about Sonic?

Plasme

This isn't a thread meant to attack people, I'm just curious. Do you like to complain about Sonic? As in, get some kind of perverse enjoymeng from tearing apart the series and new game announcements which look awful.

Most Sonic forums, including this one, are mostly filled with jaded fans. Aside from Mania, most Sonic games have been awful. Colors and Generation are somewhat different, but I'd say even they aren't popular with the hardcore fans. You guys should have abandoned the ship a while ago, but whatever your reasons, you stayed on.

How come? Was it desperate optimism, or is that, somewhere deep inside, or very self aware, you enjoy complaining about Sonic and watching new entries burn?

• Thumbs Up 1

The hate from this fanbase honestly sickens me. A lot of it I feel is unjustified. Forces wasn't a terrible game by any means but people like to rip on it becuase they get the sense it makes them 'hip' or something. 

We know very little about the movie and that's getting a ton of hate too.

There's no honest excitement or optimism towards future releases. Just non stop whining and complaining. It's like the whole fanbase has turned into Squidward.

• Thumbs Up 1

No...that's why I rarely do it. I like seeing other people complain about it, if it's actually deserved of course.

I live for it. Frankly, I enjoy nothing more than complaining about a franchise that I claim to love. It would be nothing short of a tragedy if the series became one of high quality games, ones worthy of high acclaim and not criticism.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

47 minutes ago, Myst said:

The hate from this fanbase honestly sickens me. A lot of it I feel is unjustified. Forces wasn't a terrible game by any means but people like to rip on it becuase they get the sense it makes them 'hip' or something. 

Or maybe, crazy thought, people just didn’t enjoy it and have different opinions from you? Personally the game to me was bland and uninspired, butchered classic sonic even worse than segas past cracks at the formula, moderns stages pale extremely in comparison to the other modern games, and the avatar felt clunky and annoying to play with. On top of that, the story came off like “ow the edge” the game. I would have loved it to be good, but to me, I can’t bring myself to enjoy it in that sense 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really like it, so I'm trying to not complain too much about the games themselves, unless it's deserved/grinds my gears really hard.

I like reading others' complaints tho, either for a laugh (mostly that) or to evaluate my own perception on things. Or both.

I don't complain for complaining's sake, but sometimes venting my frustrations with the series feels good.

I'd vastly prefer if I didn't have so many frustrations to vent, though.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Someone will try to assign some deeper reasoning to it like desperate optimism or whatever but a lot of people just come on here because they don't have shit else to do sometimes. Thats fine though, since thats what the board is for. I'd like to think most people just come here to grind the axe and aren't seriously still hurt over how much they don't like sonic 24/7

Being cynical is easier than being positive too. Conversations take effort, but complaining about the same stuff over and over is an easy bare minimum to achieve. It's how group chats used to go when I was a teenager.

It's a shame for those still infatuated with the series though. I'd honestly say a Sonic fan has no reason to come here. There are lots of other places with more energy and creativity going on.

• Thumbs Up 4

The sonic fanbase is one of the more toxic ones i know. I list it up there with current star wars and dragon ball (at times) Unless a game is bad from the get go I try not to say much. Plus complaning on here to much tends to get you in trouble so i vent more heavily on twitter or youtube.  Sega sometimes has the ambition. Aka sonic 06s but can seems to fumble a lot. But honestly i try not to cause at the end of the day its just a game and losing my mind and health over it isnt good for you.

Not really and I imagine many of the more "complainy" fans wouldn't have complained about the series unless there is a big problem that gets sorted.

When it comes to questionable games, ignore them like Boom and Forces rather than complain about something that wouldn't be to my tastes. When something is to my tastes though, I get to notice more. Sometimes there are issues but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game, then there are games where it goes beyond the little niggles.

I give an example because it is recent and seem relevant to put. I don't have much interest in Team Sonic Racing even though Sumo Digital + racing game = would have been instant bought. The footage and the impressions look worrying as well as all the info that Sega gave out of the game. It's not the case of complaining for the sake of complaining, it is a case of concern. I am worried that the game won't turn out very good due to the young inexperienced staff and the decision making of Sega/Sonic Team. The Sumo Digital racing games were some of my favourite Sonic games for the past 10 years and to see the future game not being up to its standard is a bit... Well I wouldn't say heartbreaking but looking like they were made for the sake of getting made to pay the bills rather than a team with some experience and passion seeping to the game itself. A quality issue is a quality issue. Many series either don't have this issue or that the series is generally average enough not to complain. Not a series that started strong enough as in GOTY material then had its ups and downs since and now considered Sega's worst series when compared to their other recent work. Even then you get the same with many series really, people have complained about Call of Duty to the point of death threats or even really hardcore people like DDR fans with timing issues. I only complain there are issues, no issues then either praise or nothing.

As for why many stay on even if the games aren't much cop is because of the games and the characters that they enjoyed from the past as well as waiting for the right game to appeal to them. Like people enjoyed Sonic Mania for instance.

• The topic was locked
2 hours ago, Plasme said:

This isn't a thread meant to attack people, I'm just curious. Do you like to complain about Sonic? As in, get some kind of perverse enjoymeng from tearing apart the series and new game announcements which look awful.

Most Sonic forums, including this one, are mostly filled with jaded fans. Aside from Mania, most Sonic games have been awful. Colors and Generation are somewhat different, but I'd say even they aren't popular with the hardcore fans. You guys should have abandoned the ship a while ago, but whatever your reasons, you stayed on.

How come? Was it desperate optimism, or is that, somewhere deep inside, or very self aware, you enjoy complaining about Sonic and watching new entries burn?

Yes, the jaded nature of the fanbase can be tiring. Yes, the attitudes can be annoying. But I don't really know what you expect with the state of this franchise? People are going to complain and express their disappointment--some better than others. I don't think anybody wants to do that, and enough replies in this thread suggest that's the case. Can some people express themselves better or be less hyperbolic? Sure. I know I've had my issues with that, and I've tried to get better about it.

While most of the replies have been fine, the intent of the OP just comes off as the kind of "complaining about complaining" that was so rampant around here during the prerelease cycle of Sonic Forces. Yes, it can be tough being positive about this series in its current state. Yes, the attitudes can suck for people who genuinely love this franchise. But truth be told, I don't think there's anyone in here posting that genuinely wants the series to do badly--we just expect better from the people who are managing it. Personally, I don't think this series has much to offer me anymore, but there are still things I like and I get some casual enjoyment out of things I don't care about like IDW, as well as having a lot of fun talking about it with people I feel I can actually relate to about it. I think next time you should consider making a topic that's less judgmental about how people engage in the franchise and maybe just engage the parts you do like?

• Thumbs Up 8