Awoo.

Do you like Uekawa style ?

Fox Gungrave

Best know for his work for the Sonic saga, Uekawa have also created the mascot of Sega Sammy baseball team (wich looks like Ristar with clothes): Rooter (and a girl vers.).

1250517676.JPG

1250517677.JPG

At the moment, there's a baseball mascot contest in japan, a Yuru-Char Contest exactly, and Rooter evidently involved and has to fight for Karaimo from Honda baseball team for the first round... and he seems to lose (171 to 389 minuts ago). So: what do you think about this contest, about Rooter and sure, wich one will be granted by your vote ?

I've personnaly voted for Rooter, not because about an Uekawa style love but because I prefer this pseudo Ristar to this sort of potatoes XD.

Source: Eversonic.fr

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dejablue

• Sean

• KururuSouchou

• Nepenthe

Top Posters In This Topic

The Uekawa artwork of the character looks fine, but that mascot suit is ugly as heck. Call me a traitor, but I voted for the potato.

That character is hideous. Not surprised that the potato is beating him.

Oh, and Uekawa's art style is ugly.

Neither contender is particularly impressive, although Rooter is far more unique than a damn potato. Sad it's losing to it, though. Therefore, I'll contribute my vote to him.

But for the record, I'm rooting for either the Pokemon thing in B3 or the cow-dragon in B2. x3

The Uekawa artwork of the character looks fine, but that mascot suit is ugly as heck. Call me a traitor, but I voted for the potato.

You traitor...

What? WHAT? You asked for it!

So what if he looks a little like Ristar. It's not exactly the same thing. Though the actual costume is ugly. So is the plain jane potato.

The potato appears to have an elongated crotch.

The Ristar rip-off looks ugly.

Either way it sucks. :\

>.>

*vote for potato*

You guys are funny. The guy who drew Ristar is somehow ripping off his own character? And its not like Ristar is ever going to be seen again in any meaningful medium. Derived I can say. But Ripoff I can't.

Edited by Dejablue

That potato looks like a giant turd. :huh:

Ohhh boy, well somebody's gotta...

126a.jpg

Let's get out and vote! Let's make our voices heard...

But truth be told this isn't quite that hard. :P I think this Ristar-like character looks fine as a drawing; but doesn't translate well to a costume at all. I don't know if that's just some kind of prototype costume they only wanted to use for a small picture on the website - but it really looks like they didn't make any sort of effort. I love that a potato is winning though, what on earth is the correlation between some kind of cowboy potato and baseball?...but yeah he got my vote.

Regardless of the competition though; I like his style. I wish it would be used more on boxarts and stuff - since 3D renders are getting a bit old now.

Edited by Tombi

I like the Uekawa style. I think it makes the Sonic characters cooler and I wish the game cases wold have hand drawn stuff on them instead of Polygons stuff..

Edited by MarcelloF

I love that a potato is winning though, what on earth is the correlation between some kind of cowboy potato and baseball?...

Because everyone knows that in Japan, baseball is played in cowboy hats using potatoes for baseballs. :P

But yes, that does suck for Mr. Pseudo-Ristar, though - the humiliation of being beaten by a cowboy potato must be too much. However, like Nepenthe, I'm rooting for the cow-dragon.

EDIT: And the turtle-Dalek in A2.

Edited by KururuSouchou

Not so much the costume, but the design is so friggin' cool! I may look a little too much like a certain Star with stretchy arms we know, but it's still awesome! The boy's pants remind me of Mickey Mouse, while the girl's design looks sort of like Cream with a hint of Amy. I must say, Uekawa's art hasn't been quite as cool lately, but this looks awesome! If Ristar ever returned, I know who I'd want to draw him! :lol:

I liked the art for Rooter, but the costume is god aweful. I prefer the potato, but not by much.

While they're both eyesores, I picked the 'tater over Rooter.

I haven't seen him drawn anything really well since Ristar, but the SRA art shows signs of improvemnt. The adventure stuff was all over the place, with random line work, unidentifiable details, and broken perspective. His designs tend to be busy and his characters flat. Why Sega had him redesign Sonic is anyone's guess.

I haven't seen him drawn anything really well since Ristar, but the SRA art shows signs of improvemnt. The adventure stuff was all over the place, with random line work, unidentifiable details, and broken perspective. His designs tend to be busy and his characters flat. Why Sega had him redesign Sonic is anyone's guess. What's strange is that he designed Ristar. I guess he just doesn't have the restraint for vector art.

Man, I want the old Uekawa back :(

This. What the newer art makes up for with improved craftsmanship, it loses quite a bit of its life in the process. Current designs have shorter appendages, less emphasized curves, a subsequently heavier reliance on sharp angles and straight lines, and thinner line work which makes them feel stiff, colder, and thus more lifeless; Conversely, the Adventure art was funkier, more unique and fun, and warmer. The different pieces being off-model here and there were actually a nice touch for me. Imperfections in art help imbue pieces with a semblance of humanity, while the current art unfortunately has the pleasure of feeling absolutely sterilized in comparison.

It would also help to have more promotional art geared to the characters partaking in random activities again. I can't be the only one tired of these boring "model sheet" poses we keep getting. xP

Edited by Nepenthe

I think Uekawa has a smooth style and his redesign of Sonic certainly looks better IMO, but the poses he used to draw for Sonic Adventure and SA2 were incredibly weird.

This. What the newer art makes up for with improved craftsmanship, it loses quite a bit of its life in the process. Current designs have shorter appendages, less emphasized curves, a subsequently heavier reliance on sharp angles and straight lines, and thinner line work which makes them feel stiff, colder, and thus more lifeless; Conversely, the Adventure art was funkier, more unique and fun, and warmer. The different pieces being off-model here and there were actually a nice touch for me. Imperfections in art help imbue pieces with a semblance of humanity, while the current art unfortunately has the pleasure of feeling absolutely sterilized in comparison.
I know right. Who cares if sonic looked funky back then. It was unique and original. That definetly made him stand out for me the first time I saw that Adventure artwork in a magazine.

It would also help to have more promotional art geared to the characters partaking in random activities again. I can't be the only one tired of these boring "model sheet" poses we keep getting. xP

Maybe the next time they ask for an art contest, we should do that, to maybe influence them.. :rolleyes: