Awoo.

SSMB BOOK CLUB 1st Month! August: Young Adult month!

Pelly <3's U

Hey everyone!

Welcome to the first month of the new SSMB Book Club.

This is the official August topic for the book club, where I will introduce the theme of this month as well as our reading selections.

So without further ado, if you couldn't have guessed from the title this months theme is going to be Young Adult works. Fairly self explanitory, Young Adult novels are essentially literature aimed at ages 14-21 (Thanks wikipedia!). I thought this would be an appropriate starting place as many of our forum goers are of an age that YA novels are aimed at, as well as YA novels typically being lighter reads then some other genres. This makes them a great place to start if you are just starting to get interested in reading as a hobby, or have not read anything for awhile and are just looking to get back into it.

Wikipedia summarizes the theme as follows:

The subject matter and story lines of YA literature are typically consistent with the age and experience of the main character, but, beyond that, YA stories span the spectrum of fiction genres. Themes in YA stories often focus on the challenges of youth, sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming-of-age novels.[3] Writing styles of YA stories range widely, from the richness of literary style to the clarity and speed of the unobtrusive and free verse.

Don't disregard the genre just because it's aimed at a younger audience though, as many YA novels are heralded as classic pieces of literature (plus discounting things aimed at younger kids is a classic way to be a douche). As YA novels can span every genre, it was quite difficult for me to figure out what books to pick. Also many popular YA books are assigned and read in school, so hopefully I've picked some that either you haven't read, or would be worth a re-read.

For our main book this month we will be reading-

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Hatchet.jpg

Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but his clothing, a tattered windbreaker, and the hatchet his mother has given him as a present -- and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart ever since his parents' divorce. But now Brian has no time for anger, self-pity, or despair -- it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage than he knew he possessed, to survive.

Hatchet is a novel I haven't personally read but has been highly lauded as an exemplary YA novel. Gary Paulsen is a very highly regarded author, and I'm sure many of you might have read something by him (perhaps even this novel). One reason this novel stuck out to me is it reminded me of another book I loved as a kid, My Side of the Mountain. The theme of divorce is also a very typical YA theme as many kids can relate to the feeling, so hopefully it will make for a good read.

Our Alt Book this month will be-

Holes By Louis Sachar

Holes3.jpg

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes: five feet wide and five feet deep. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment—and redemption.

Holes is a novel I'm sure (or at least hoping) many of you have read. It was one of my all time favorite books when I was younger, and I'm excited to try and reread it again to see how it stands up. If you haven't read this book, I can't really recommend it enough......it's just a classic. It got a great story, great characters, and a great sense of humor that pervades a surprisingly deep story.

The movie also gave it a cool rap song !

Anyways, these will be our August YA book picks.

In this topic we can discuss the books as we read them (if anyone finds reading guides that have good discussion questions that would certainly be welcome) as well as the YA genre further. If anyone else has any recommendations of YA novels they particularly loved, or books they would like to read feel free to talk about them here.

Please use spoiler tags though

As we are discussing the book it's crucial to realize that not everyone will be reading it at the same pace, so makign your post with spoiler tags and writing what chapter they spoiler up to will help us keep things interesting for everyone.

Well happy reading everyone !

(I'm going to start Hatchet right now, let's see if I finish it all before I go to bed lol)

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh wow, that's nostalgic. I've never read Holes myself, but I do recall reading Hatchet in the sixth grade. I need to do my summer reading for this month, so I won't be able to reread it, but I'd love to see what you guys think and see if it holds up.

You might want to fix the black text before you go to bed. :P

Ah! Hatchet! I remember one of my friends getting into that book and a couple of my other friends reading it after. It supposedly is a good book and even has a sequel (?). I'm not so sure if it necessarily geared toward the 14+ age because this was back in 5th/6th grade. Well anyways, from what I remember it was interesting especially the beginning. I didn't finish the book, just a small portion of the start.

Without you bringing it back up, I would have forgotten about that classic!

Holes? Wait, the movie was originally a book? Someone is going to slap me on the head in a few minute. I don't think anyone here as read it, as this is the first time I've seen someone bring up the book.

My recommendations? Well, I got several - they were School Summer Readings

The Count of Monte Cristo.

count.jpg

The story takes place in France, Italy, islands in the Mediterranean, and in the Levant during the historical events of 1815–1838 (from just before the Hundred Days to the reign of Louis-Philippe of France). The historical setting is a fundamental element of the book. An adventure story primarily concerned with themes of hope, justice, vengeance, mercy and forgiveness, it focuses on a man who is wrongfully imprisoned, escapes from jail, acquires a fortune and sets about getting revenge on those responsible for his imprisonment. However, his plans have devastating consequences for the innocent as well as the guilty.

This book would be fun to read together, if we could finish it. I only got about 1/3rd before I stopped because I knew I wouldn't be able to finish it so I had to drop out of my honors class. Shame really, it was a fantastic piece of work and the class I ended up being in was piss easy. If there is ONE book that everyone should read in their life, it is definitely this one.

Peace Like a River

Peacelikeariver.jpg

The novel, set largely in 1962 is narrated by Reuben Land, the asthmatic eleven-year-old protagonist, and includes his older brother Davy and younger sister Swede. His father, Jeremiah, a school janitor, is a deeply-spiritual Protestant but occasionally performs miracles, of whom Reuben is the sole witness.

I recently finished this book and it was a fun one to read. The story is full of surprises and twists. I wasn't satisfied with the ending though, but if you want to know why you got to read it! It is a medium length book at 300+ pages.

MV5BOTgzNDIzMTM2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQzNTE4MQ%40%40._V1._SY317_.jpg

The Secret Life of Bees is about a girl (Lily) who lives in a home with her father. Her mother was killed in an accident which is revealed in the book. Her father is abusive and gets on her nerves which presses on her to run away. Another issue pops up where the maid of Lily's house gets in a fight with some white men over racial issues. The maid ends up in jail and the story shoots out from there.

Was it worth reading? I got to admit, it was pretty enjoyable. It was also a medium length book (300+ pages) so it shouldn't take too long. The book has a lot of love put into it. The characters are enjoyable and the events that happen in the book was pretty awesome.

Oh wow, I was actually wanting to re-read Hatchet again, since I haven't since 5th grade. I might have to find a way to read it online, since with being at the end of school, and moving back home soon, I won't have time and such for library stops and whatnot.

Ah, Gary Paulsen's been a name in the back of my mind for many years, but I'm just now remembering that I bought one of his autobiographical novels during an elementary school book sale: My Life in Dog Years. I read that thing forwards, backwards, and upside down, and I'm kind of sad I can't find that old dusty thing. Nevertheless, the premise of Hatchet sounds really good. I'll try to procure a copy ASAP tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1

of all the books I read in my youth, hatchet has a special place in my heart,

read the book first before the spoiler, don't want to color your impressions of it.

filled with hate, distaste and sheer disdain. I cannot fathom how such a poorly written, boring novel became so famous and landed on so many school compulsory reading lists. I really, really do not like. I don't like the character, I don't like the tone, I don't like the survivalist bullcrap, I don't like the stupid hatchet.

The overarcing plot with the divorce of his parents and the kids coping with it is shoved aside in favour of long, boring, stupid descriptions of mosquito bites and shitting of pants. It also has this misplaced romanticism for the woods.... completely unappealing to me.

holes is okay though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, I was actually wanting to re-read Hatchet again, since I haven't since 5th grade. I might have to find a way to read it online, since with being at the end of school, and moving back home soon, I won't have time and such for library stops and whatnot.

Buy the ebook version of it. You'll be able to download it and read it on any portable device and I assume from your computer. I think the Amazon store has Hatchet [Kindle] available. There is a Kindle app for the iPod Touch so...

Well I have been trying to get back into reading. I still haven't finished Inheritance but I also made the mistake of stopping on page 404, so that's probably part of it. tongue.png As for novels, I'm thinking of maybe either Holes, or the Count of Monte Cristo out of the ones listed. However, since you said a lot of them were coming-of-age stories, may I make a suggestion?

cover.jpg?v=1322010309cover.jpg?1323316464

*runs out of topic laughing like a 7-year-old*

Edited by Chibinuva

Well I have been trying to get back into reading. I still haven't finished Inheritance but I also made the mistake of stopping on page 404, so that's probably part of it. tongue.png As for novels, I'm thinking of maybe either Holes, or the Count of Monte Cristo out of the ones listed. However, since you said a lot of them were coming-of-age stories, may I make a suggestion?

cover.jpg?v=1322010309cover.jpg?1323316464

*runs out of topic laughing like a 7-year-old*

Anime is way better

• Thumbs Up 1

I've found an online PDF of Hatchet for anyone here who'd chosen that book but would need to go out of their way to procure it. Some weird typos and errors in it though, but it's still readable.

I keep trying to pull away to get something to eat or get some laundry done, but I've already made it to Chapter 4 in about twenty minutes. It's a very visceral and emotional read thus far; I'm already identifying with Brian's view of the adults around him- the lawyers, his parents, and the flight attendant he managed to call- who talk and act in this kind of professional code and don't really seem to give a rat's ass about the hard truth of any matters. And the only adult he's been truly appreciative of thus far in this book is now lying dead in the seat from a heart attack. It's just an honest feeling of frustration I have for this poor kid, and I love it so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah Hatchet. I remember reading that book sometime around middle school and getting really into it. It's a really good book for those who haven't read it :).

As for Holes, I've never read the book but I remember seeing the movie in 5th Grade. It was okay.

I've never heard of Hatchet before but Holes is very familiar to me. In fact, I saw the movie it was based on and it was pretty good! Yah.

I'll have to give the book a read someday, but I'm already up to my ears in books. XD I'm trying to finish off two books at the moment so I can move on to others that are still pending. These are...

9780340960554.jpg

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult, and...

img47804e08c1fd05b26.jpg

The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott.

The last one is more like a novel so I'll probably finish that in a few days, but Keeping Faith is a really good read. In fact, I have read many of Picoult's books and they're brilliant (my favourite is Nineteen Minutes). Be aware though that she loves ending her books on annoying cliffhangers, so most of the time there is an ending with many things left unsolved and/or unanswered. D:

Edited by Gabz Girl

Oh dear. I've never read either of those books in school or in my own time. ^^; Many thanks to Nepenthe for the link! I'll def use that to start off with Hatchet and I guess I'll pick up Holes after I'm done with it to enlighten myself hehe. Let's see how this goes!

Also a big YES to Count of Monte Cristo recommend! I loved that book in high school as well as Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. The former more dark and a great revenge story, the latter an epic sci fi book about humanity's last hope resting on the shoulders of children. Some good stuff!

Is "Where the Red Fern Grows" a YA novel? I haven't read that in since I was 9, but I remember loving it.

I think I'll go with Hatchet this month. I've never read it. I've seen the Holes movie and the play, though I'm not totally sure I've read the book. I think I have. I remember some of the plot points, but not everything. I remember when it was new and they were introducing us to new books in school.

Are there pictures in the books?

I think we passed the time when books had pictures.

Question: Would watching the movies that correspond with the selected readings instead of actually reading be acceptable? :U

I'll be a trooper and read both books. I own Holes, I even read it once to my mom when I was an eggheaded kid. Kinda makes me want to re-read the Wayside School trilogy too.

Question: Would watching the movies that correspond with the selected readings instead of actually reading be acceptable? :U

XD no

I recall having read a bunch of Hatchet-like adolescent survival books back in elementary school (I think one of them had a kid with a pet hawk?), but never the genuine article. The subject matter isn't terribly interesting to me, but this should at least be nostalgic.

I haven't read Holes either. Or seen the movie, actually. A friend recommended the book to me back when the movie was a thing, but I was a bit of a pretentious loser back then who liked to read Proper Adult Fiction that I probably didn't fully appreciate. I think I passed Holes up for some Michael Crichton book or other.

I own Holes, I even read it once to my mom when I was an eggheaded kid.

I'm not the only person who did that?

Edited by Octarine

of all the books I read in my youth, hatchet has a special place in my heart,

read the book first before the spoiler, don't want to color your impressions of it.

filled with hate, distaste and sheer disdain. I cannot fathom how such a poorly written, boring novel became so famous and landed on so many school compulsory reading lists. I really, really do not like. I don't like the character, I don't like the tone, I don't like the survivalist bullcrap, I don't like the stupid hatchet.

The overarcing plot with the divorce of his parents and the kids coping with it is shoved aside in favour of long, boring, stupid descriptions of mosquito bites and shitting of pants. It also has this misplaced romanticism for the woods.... completely unappealing to me.

holes is okay though.

I went ahead and read the spoiler first anyway...I think I'll torture myself and read it anyway when if get the chance.

So I just finished hatchet

Overall I thought it was ok. I kind of agree with Remy on some things, but I actually didn't dislike it. I thought the main character was kind of impersonal, like you hardly got a sense for who he was.

My main problem with the book came from the ending. As I was reading it I couldn't believe I was so close to the end, and kept wondering how I could possibly be so far in when it seemed like there was going to be a lot of story to tell left. Especially when he finds the survival pack in the plane, that's like the second to last chapter and I couldn't fathom why it ended so soon after that. To me it would have been cool to see him live a bit with his new survival set, and have things be easier.

The rescue was pretty lame too. It's just all of a sudden it's 2 paragraphs and he's rescued. You don't get to see any reunion between him and his parents, and the epilogue is a pretty random assortment of details and didn't tell me the things I wanted to know.

Overall it was an ok book that started off better then it ended.

Wow, judging from what you guys are saying:

I guess it's a good thing I skipped it. xD

What was so bad about it, anyway?

Haha well I went back and edited my post explaining what I thought of it, I didn't hate it.....it was just more ok

I loved Hatchet since I read it when I was in sixth grade! I actually read it two weeks ago......which makes it weird it was chosen for this month, but anyways here's my thoughts on it

I really like how the writing is straight to the point sometimes but I guess I can see how people maybe will like to be more romanticized than it is. An example will be when Brian learns how to make fire and hunt animals, is almost written as how-to guide rather than a story.

A lot of people don't identified with Brian but I always did. Even though my parents are not separated I did spend a lot of time alone because they worked all the time and a lot of times I was left to figure out stuff without them. Also the fact that he learns that feeling sorry for himself will not help him survive was really inspiring.

The fact that the Hatchet was a symbol for his suffering and survival was actually pretty good. Remember the Hatchet was a gift from his mother who cheated on his dad, this leads to them getting a divorce (his dad doesn't know and this causes even more conflict in Brian). In some parts of the books he thinks that if they wouldn't have gotten divorced he wouldn't be stuck in the wilderness.

Not a lot of people liked the ending because it did not give them closure on the story. Though I think that's the whole point it makes you feel like Brian does. At the end he still doesn't know if he should tell his dad about the affair and there's some doubts here and there. But thanks to the discipline he learned in the wilderness he thinks about it more.

Saying that I think the book suffers from "setting the story for the sequel" syndrome. Yes there's a sequel (in fact there's five books) and it kind of ties some plots from the first book but I won't spoiled that for you guys.