Awoo.

Sonic Generations modding assistance thread.

LeBronFilms

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Sonic Generations modding. I was wondering if anyone knows why the game keeps crashing on me. At the moment, I'm currently just testing ripping and placing models back into the game, using this process:

1. Extract chr_Sonic_HD.model from Sonic.ar00 (Generations Archive Editor)

2. Convert chr_Sonic_HD.model to Collada/DAE (SGlvl.exe)

3. Import .dae model (3DS MAX)

4. Export scene (OgreMax addon)

5. Convert newly export .mesh to .model (SGlvl.exe)

6. Place .model back into Sonic.ar00 (Generations Archive Editor)

7. Replace original Sonic.ar00 in game files (Using the Cpkredir method)

Does anyone know why the game keeps crashing when I replace the original .ar00 with my 'copy'? unsure.png

I believe it's something to do with my exporting process within 3DS max (stage 5). The addon I'm using is this: http://www.ogremax.com/downloads

This addon for Max allows the user to export:

- As an OrgeMax .model

- As an OrgeMax .mesh

I'm pretty sure the issue is there is no armature/bones in these exports. But I'm not overly sure.

Can some genious give me a hand? sleep.png

Edited by LeBronFilms
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey Lebron, mind changing this topic title to something like "Sonic Generations hacking/modding assistance thread"? we have been needing a help general thread since the closure of the general mods topic.

I'll notify the modders about this topic if they haven't seen this already.

Hey Lebron, mind changing this topic title to something like "Sonic Generations hacking/modding assistance thread"? we have been needing a help general thread since the closure of the general mods topic.

I'll notify the modders about this topic if they haven't seen this already.

I've done exactly that. And thanks for notifying the modders. I've been wanting to post on Sonic Retro, but they have to give you permission to post.

Moving this topic over to the showcase and pinning it so people will see it.

Though keep in mind that this still isn't going to be used for displaying one's work. This is only going to be used to help people out. Make your own topics if you have stuff to show.

Hey everyone

I been using SonicGLVL for a few weeks now , using the tutorials available too me so i can start making some originals and some ported maps. I have experience doing this with other games

I can get the geometry In game easy, along with common items (springs ect)

But no matter what i do collision will not work. Its actualy driving me mad lol

I followed every different tutorial on collision and i have not missed anything out

but it will never work Sonic just continues too fall.

Any help would be great. I have been getting headaches over this one

-Redfox

Edited by redfox

I've heard about that Sonic GLVL thing in Sonic Retro. A program of hacking levels, and stuff in Sonic Generations, am I correct? Well, this isn't the right place for this. I think the help you may be looking for is..

I believe you can ask that kind of question here:

But the creator of SONICGLVL is on here too if you want to personally ask him.

Its a weird one cause i followed the instruction very closly there must be a few things about collisions that are not included.

I deleted anything that over lapped and that was not it. Im stumped

Edited by redfox

This is my level importing tutorial over at Retro's Wiki for those that haven't found it yet: http://info.sonicret...nic_Generations

Unfortunately, I do not know the steps on rendering GIA so that's why the section is not available.

This is the main tutorial i used. Very nicly wrote out no time wasting strait too the point =D

Its just the collision will not work when i follow this and other tut's.... everything else works no problem

Just a quick question.

Is it possible to take out the wind blown BOOST effect from the music in Sonic Generations ?

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

Just a quick question.

Is it possible to take out the wind blown BOOST effect from the music in Sonic Generations ?

The separate Boost track that's activated is hard-coded into the game and impossible to change, as far as I'm aware. While we're not allowed to post mods, I could move the Modern music onto anything from the Custom Music selection and send it your way.

Does anybody have any idea if Classic Sky Sanctuary's Speed Shoes music is hard-coded into the game? I've attempted to swap it out for a mix I made of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgJhCiAMVk, but unlike the mix I made for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAw4upYJhD8, the music doesn't change at all; if the bit rate was off, it would just simply not play or crash the game. I've also swapped the files to play in the other's levels, and Sky Sanctuary's Speed Shoes music is still there. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Oh, if anybody wants these, I'll make a topic for posting them. Got the other MLP x Sonic remixes by that guy in the game already.

Edited by t0ms0nic

So, I'm kinda new to modding Generations, and I'm having a couple of problems.

1st. I exported a level from Sonic Adventure and opened it in SonicGLVL. For some reason, I can't find where the geometry imported to in the level at all, after searching all over.

2nd. I tried to change Sonic's spawn point in the editor, but when I open up the stage, it doesn't change.

Can someone help me with these?

EDIT: I'm not even sure the levels are actually showing up. I imported a model for Peach's Castle just fine, but when I tried an SA1 or SA2 level, I don't see them. I assume there was an import problem, I should check the log file...

EDIT 2: Okay, I checked the ogre.log file, and there doesn't seem to be a problem importing. Perplexing...

EDIT 3: I decided to repack everything anyway and launch the game with the mod. Sure enough, there's no level and Sonic immediately falls to his doom. Ugh...

Edited by KatamariParadox

• 4 weeks later...

Since the above is fixed by using Damizeans HKX Reader, I want to post a question about something I cant get to work.

Alpha.

I can't frickin get alpha to work ingame. For example, when editing Shadows model and porting it back in, the fur becomes white because somehow there is no alpha applied. (And the eyeglobe gets all shiny as fuck). So I wonder if somebody could explain how to fix it in steps.

Since the above is fixed by using Damizeans HKX Reader, I want to post a question about something I cant get to work.

Alpha.

I can't frickin get alpha to work ingame. For example, when editing Shadows model and porting it back in, the fur becomes white because somehow there is no alpha applied. (And the eyeglobe gets all shiny as fuck). So I wonder if somebody could explain how to fix it in steps.

I know how to fix alpha, but only for transparency. I'm not sure how one would fix your problem... :/

• 2 months later...

Okay, how on earth do i get SonicGlvl to let me see the level I'm editing, instead of just a bunch of white lines on a gray background?

Edit: Oh, and how do i test my additons to the map? Game crashed when i tried/ i don't know how. *scratches head* Sorry, I'm really new to this.

Edited by Speedy526745

If you've opened the level correctly, it should appear in the editing space. If you can't find it, try moving around the view by dragging with the middle mouse button.

If you've changed the layout of the level, all you should need to do is save the # file and stick it in your mod folder, no repacking necessary.

Okay, that works, and i can now test my modded levels, but I still can't see any of the scnery/terrain. The only things i can "see" are the gimmicks. How do I get a better picture of the level than just a bunch of white lines?

Edit: Okay, found out that this only happens on certain modern levels (green hill and speed highway), and I can see the terrain just fine on the classic stages. Am I missing a file or something? Why can I not see the terrain of these modern levels?

Edited by Speedy526745

• 2 months later...

how import models in sonic generations

(my version)

are very aware that there is still no feasible tutorials about it
but painstakingly achieved'm doing it my way very well

first: open 3dsmax and searches MAXScripts, then run the script folder then load the sonic.model sglvl, files, and you will sonic sonic model with bones loaded in your program
second: locates your exact position to model the sonic, delete the original model of sonic and placed yours, then devide your model parts like arms, head, legs etc, then in the window find an option called modifiers, = skins) aki bone can assign the correct part for your model at the end grabs a piece and assign all the bones,
third is the export procedure that you know with ogre exporter

enterder for this will need to know enough about 3dsmax if you're a newbie then sorry'll upload a tutorial

is all I can give for now

Okay, I follow all the steps I've found when it comes to swapping models. I convert the chr_Sonic_HD.model into a .dae with SonicGLvl, I throw it in 3DSMax, I delete Sonic's model and put in the one I want to use. I seperate the body parts (head, arms, body, legs). I select each one by one and apply the skin modifier to each of them. I export as a mesh with the Ogre thing. I go into SonicGLvl, I select the mesh to convert to a model, and GLvl closes and I haven't got my freaking model, it's like it runs away and just laughs at me. I'm getting kinda angry with it to be honest, hahaha. Can someone please give a clear step-by-step on how to swap models? Like others have said, there's no tutorials on YouTube, and Google hasn't really helped me either.

• 11 months later...