Awoo.

To those of you who still LIKE Sonic Adventure 1...

Speederino

I love the PS3 version. I don't like the borders (I'd have preferred them to stretch the image out than to have put borders on it, if they insisted on not doing proper widescreen, but what the hell) but I forget they're there within 5 minutes. The controls and framerate are silky smooth compared to the Dreamcast, Gamecube AND PC version (the PC version I always had issues with, nasty draw distance too) and the graphics are really nice and crisp in HD.

The reason they say it's a bad port is because it's an EXACT port of a game which was, in it's nature, kinda clunky. Don't get me wrong, I adore Sonic Adventure, but it's a pretty glitchy game by today's standards and it really shows today. This is why the PS3/360 version is getting bitched out by the critics.

I'd say get it, it's only a few quid out of your pocket, stops you having to dust your Dreamcast off and it's got the added advantages of HD and upgraded graphics from the Gamecube version (mainly just new character models and better textures, but they look really good). I'd say that it's the best version of the game available, despite being very dated.

I'd say get it, it's only a few quid out of your pocket, stops you having to dust your Dreamcast off and it's got the added advantages of HD and upgraded graphics from the Gamecube version (mainly just new character models and better textures, but they look really good). I'd say that it's the best version of the game available, despite being very dated.

^ Yeah, that was the main problem with DX and why a lot of people prefer the Dreamcast graphics. The Dreamcast graphics aren't great, but they're consistant. The GameCube one has shiny detailed Sonic, but with the awful old animations mapped onto him, and have him chatting to a completely untouched Dreamcast Eggman with no facial animation at all. It's all very slap-dash.

I do think the textures are more subtle though. The Dreamcast one had some wacky colour co-ordination at points.

Honestly...I dont really get the hate on DX or it's ports - other than it's a lazy release on SEGA's part.

Like other people have kind of mentioned, the improvements on DX and it's HD relatives is a tad inconsistent. Some parts of the game look great, but often there's ugly old textures and models that pop up and stick out a bit ( for example, chao in cutscenes are just as blocky and odd, compared with their garden counterparts, as they were in the DC version). People also had a problem with the "shinyness" of character models, but mileage varies on that one (and I think the PC version was the worst in regards to that one...)

In short it really depends on your opinion, if you don't mind dishing out for a port of a port for the sake of gamerpoints and saving console space, go for it. None of the problems with Adventure DX/HD really damages the gameplay (it plays fine to me at least). The only bummer is the lack of any portable chao garden/adventure option, which makes raising them a *lot* harder, and the fact Sega forces you to buy DLC AND do those awful missions for Metal Sonic. If you don't care or are not bothered much by these, you'll be fine

I first played Sonic Adventure DX back in mid-2004, when I picked up the PC version - I never had a Dreamcast or GameCube. Needless to say... I absolutely loved it. Last year I downloaded the port of the PC version for PS3, and it still plays really well - TBH, I think I was lucky in that some of the main issues with the DX version (inconsistent framerate, the music being too loud in cutscenes) were fixed for the PC release so I never encountered those. The PC version always seemed to run pretty steady at 60FPS for me, or thereabouts... My one real graphical issue with the DX version is that the characters jar with the backgrounds a bit, though on the whole they still look pretty good as long as you remind yourself that it's a game from 1998, at least originally. The HD on the PS3 release is really good too - the game's biggest graphical strength even on the DC was its textures, and now they look better than ever.

I still have yet to play Sonic Adventure 2 in any form - as I lack either console it was released for. Every day I still hope in vain for a 3DS/Vita port, or something...

Nearly all of us still like SA1, but anyway, I have not played the PS3/360 version, so I can't say. I heard that it's basically a port of DX, but with HD graphics.

The PS3 version runs great. Smooth graphics, fast loading, smooth framerate and it's better to play then the PC port (since it's not HD and I prefer the PS3 controller).

The bugs from the GCN/PC versions are still there though and the borders are very ugly, but I can easily ignore it since my TV on my desk.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I still like SA1. ^_^

I downloaded SADX onto my PS3. Although I don't quite like the purple borders and what have you, I'm having some trouble breeding two-tone chao... Do they not exist in the port? I was sure they existed in the Gamecube version. I'd be happy with SA2B too. You know you wanna raise Chao. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought it and played it for PS3. I think it's just OK. Even though I've never played the DC original (same goes for SA2, I have SA2B), I can definitely tell that the game shows it's age though (i.e. cutscenes and VA). So far the only thing that I didn't like is Big's fishing levels (which I'm still working on as of now >_< and DAMN is it a pain. At least I've beaten everyone else....) and Knuckles's treasure hunting levels. Everyone else was passable.

I'm also not wasting my time on the Chao (Gardens).....truth is, I have like 14 Chao back on SA2B. -.- I'm probably going to send them all away the next time I boot up the game.

Edited by Yeow95

• 1 month later...

Haven't been following this topic; just going to say that now.

I have the PS3 version, and I'd say it's a great port. It has none of the slowdown issues of the Gamecube port, looks marginally better, and doesn't introduce any more glitches (and I've noticed a few I used to abuse that no longer work). If you still like Sonic Adventure, and don't want to have your Dreamcast plugged in anymore, the PS3 version is a good investment. I certainly haven't regretted my purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please elaborate - whether it be through a detailed explanation, a series of pictures, or both - on why Sonic Adventure DX/XBLA/PSN is inferior to the Dreamcast version? I just wanna see for myself. I would download an emulator, but ISO's are piss-hard to run.

For me there are a few reasons:

1. glitches - sure, SA1 in its original form has some glitches. However, I found the GC version of DX to glitch out even more frequently on me. - example - In Speed Highway, relatively early on in the level you are running sideways on a building, and you can run up that building a bit to a faster route, and also pick up a power-up (i'm pretty sure speed shoes, but can't remember if it's just a life). On the GC version, I frequently just fall through the transition between building and road on this route and end up dead, and I have NEVER had that issue with the DC version.

2. graphics - DX aimed to improve the graphics by "enhancing" the character models. I personally hated the new models. I think they look plastic-y and stupid, and I feel the DC models look fine and have more charm to them. This is purely aesthetic and an opinion, but is still a reason for me. I particularly feel this is noticeable in cutscenes.

Those are really the only reasons I can verbally express as to why I prefer DC SA1 to any of the remakes. However, on a less detailed note, I simply find that I enjoy the DC version more. I feel that it plays better in general. Some have mentioned that DC has tighter, less slippery controls. I have never played both versions back-to-back to compare, so I can't say personally if this is the case, but it would explain it.

I hope this helps to shed some light

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you already have the DC version, then no, you shouldn't get the XBLA version. The controls are way more slippery, and it's craptastically glitchy.

Really? I heard the opposite. Though i honestly can't say for myself.

I'd wait till its on discount or something. Or buy the dreamcast collection.

EDIT: nvm. *sigh*

Edited by Solkia

With all this talk over which Adventure is better, should I get the Adventure in the Dreamcast Collection, the XBLA version, or the SADX version on the Gamecube?

For prices, the Dreamcast collection I'm looking at is roughly $14, SADX is about $8, and the Arcade game is $10, $15 if I download the DX upgrade too.

With all this talk over which Adventure is better, should I get the Adventure in the Dreamcast Collection, the XBLA version, or the SADX version on the Gamecube?

For prices, the Dreamcast collection I'm looking at is roughly $14, SADX is about $8, and the Arcade game is $10, $15 if I download the DX upgrade too.

The DX upgrade isn't much. just metal sonic and a bunch of tedious side missions.