Awoo.

Saddest moments in video games...

Crystal Kingfisher

* In Duke Nukem 3D I've always wanted to rescue those naked women who were trapped inside the green pods/coccoons. But no matter what buttons I presssed as I walked up to those sprites, I could never set them free. They just kept moaning and begging me to kill them.

That was just not fair. I felt extremely disappointed by that. :( :(

Had me cracking up with this one dude. :lol:

Hmmm, I haven't played that many games that made me sad, but let's see. Don't think I cried, but whatever.

Space Quest 6: Stellar sacrifices herself to save Roger from being gassed by pushing him into an elevator that shuts immediately afterwards (he barely manged to open it using a piston). Roger's reaction there and at the funeral made me sad. :(

Of course, she not really dead, but you don't find that out 'til later.

Final Fantasy X: The ending. I almost didn't want to beat the game.

Commander Keen 6: Playing the game and seeing the ending and knowing that there will likely never be a sequel. Seriously, that makes me cry to this day. ;_;

lol, the opening video/scene of Driv3r makes me cry. I can't stand watching it.

Seeing the driver guy hurt and dying makes me cry.

Probably because I grew up playing Driver 2 with my dad.

Ace Combat 5:

The ending can also send you to tears, but it's still nothing compared to the waterworks you'll get from Mission 17: Journey Home.

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I am three pages behind...

The saddest video game moment for me was in Tales of Symphonia when you find Genis hanging out with the sweet old lady up at the Human Ranch and then she gets beaten and as punishment turned into one of those big ugly monsters. Then she kills herself for you. =( God I cried twin waterfalls that day.

Mega Man X4:

I feel a little silly for crying at this since it's become something of an internet meme, but: Iris' death after Zero is forced to kill her. He shakes her body as if trying to wake her up, starts to cry...and then he just screams.

Sonic Rush:

"Because of my powers, I have always been alone." It didn't really seem like that powerful a moment the first time, but it seemed a lot sadder the more times I played the game.

Sonic Adventure 2:

"Even if my memories aren't real...it's still me...Shadow." I never forgot the downcast look that Shadow made when he said that. Also, Eggman's "Did he really mean to destroy us?" moment from the end.

Sonic 2006:

I haven't even played the game to be honest. But I've seen Silver's ending, and Blaze's final farewell tends to get me choked up.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

Okay, this isn't actually a moment in the game, and to be honest this is another game I haven't actually played, but the song "Chosen One" made me cry uncontrollably the first time I heard it.

Theres quite a number of moments that are really really sad in videogames, but one which often gets over-looked, simply because it's not a game that instantly comes to mind, is Resident Evil Code Veronica.

That story is basically the William Shakespeare of Resident Evils.

On one hand you have a pair of young teenagers who dislike each other at first who over the course of the game slowly fall in love. One of them has to kill their father in front of the other.

Then Claire has to watch Steve get transformed into a Tyrant, and she's utterly powerless to stop it. He then saves her from the final boss and is killed as a result, We even see her distraught reaction to it afterwards.

It's quite a sad plot in general, nobody really wins in it other than Wesker.

Theres also Ada's "death" if you go for the bad endings in Resident Evil 2.

ADDDDDDAAAAAA!

FVII where

Sephiroth kills Aerith and the following scene where Cloud releases her body into the lake

I love her theme so much.

Sonic 06

The final scene between Sonic and Elise."Just smile" ;_;

In MGS2 the scene between Otacon and the parrot.

Lisa's death

in Silent Hill and

Angela's death/Mary's final letter

in Silent Hill 2

Okami - Right at the end after you finish the final boss and Ammy goes to celebrate

and stops when she realise Issun's not with her

. Also the build up before that with everyone praising her brought a tear to my eye.

Final Fantasy X - The ending. Already been explained so I won't go into any more detail.

MGS4 - The bit where

Snake visits Liquid's grave

had me bawling. I don't know if it was all the emotion previously but that did it for me the fact that despite everything

he still had love, or at least respect, for his brother

Lost Odyssey - Not just the bit mentioned previously but a quite a few of the dreams are well worth reading, bringing a tear to my eye at least.

Some endings in Castevania games give me sad feelings. Aria Of Sorrow is probably my favorite Castlevania ever and for some reason the

before the final boss and the credits music make me feel down but also happy. Edited by PeTeRpAn

lol, the opening video/scene of Driv3r makes me cry.
Playing Driv3r makes me cry for a differant reason

it sucks

OH HO HO

Skies of Arcadia had some very moving moments, such as the Silvite elders crashing the great silver shrine into Soltis' shield of light, killing themselves but destroying the barrier. They're attoning for their sins of judging the world's populace and creating the means to use the rains of destruction to slaughter so many. Fina lost so much in a split second...

Belleza's backstory was also so sad and it makes her so dimensional, her hatred of war and her ways of fighting, using intelligence rather than brute force. Her demise was so meaningful.

Sonic 2 Game Gear's bad ending was surprisingly downbeat for a Sonic game, you could possibly interpret that Tails is dead o.0 The credits music was also very sad.

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I am three pages behind...

The saddest video game moment for me was in Tales of Symphonia when you find Genis hanging out with the sweet old lady up at the Human Ranch and then she gets beaten and as punishment turned into one of those big ugly monsters. Then she kills herself for you. =( God I cried twin waterfalls that day.

The only Tales game I've played ATM is Vesperia and I love it, the rental store here might be giving us Symphonia (I sure hope so), but that part sounds really sad.

In MGS2 the scene between Otacon and the parrot.

That part made me cry so hard. :(

Sonic 06

The final scene between Sonic and Elise."Just smile" ;_;

Didn't make me cry, but I loved that scene too. It actually dissapointed me that there was one more scene after it before the credits. If they had just ended the game with

Elise blowing the candle out, the scene fading, and then the credits,

that would have been a beautifully sombre ending. I guess adding the final scene AFTER the credits would have given the same sombre effect without ruining the penultimate one.

I'd have to say the Microwave bit in MGS4 was just brutal to me. I mean

for crying out loud you're forcing Snake threw the room as he's being cooked alive. The health meter drops like crazy, and Otacon makes things worse by begging for you to get up at the end. Also couldn't stand seeing the other forces getting the shit beat out of them!

Final Fantasy 6 also had a few moments that made me tear up. Like when

Kefka poisons the water supply of Doma Castle, Killing every person there except for Cyan. He loses his wife and child in the indecent for crying out loud!

Also when

you defeat the phantom train, it picks up Cyan's family right before his eyes.

You've just reminded me of the one thing to get a proper response from me.

Final Fantasy 6 - in the World of Ruin, there's an optional scene. You get no items or equipment for it and its quite easy to miss.

There's a place on the map, by the Veldt I believe, which is just one house. Normally when you go in, the guy living there just talks crazy at you and you leave. But if you go there with Sabin and Gau, Sabin somehow figures out the old coot is Gau's father. So, depending on how many characters you've rescued you have a few light-hearted scenes where they try to spruce Gau up to make a good impression on his dad. Then, you head back.

The guy not only refuses to believe Gau is his son, but tells you about a "nightmare" he had once. His wife dies in childbirth, and believing the newborn to be a demon, he abandons him in the Veldt, and leaves as wild animals bare down on the baby.

Sabin, furious, goes to punch the old man but Gau stops him, shakes his head slowly, and walks outside. When the others follow, the only thing Gau says is "Father...alive. Gau...happy".

For a scene that starts out so light-hearted it takes an incredibly sad turn.

The just smile scene from Sonic 06. It's that damn violin ¬¬ though the concept is amazingly tragic, and if you loved someone who you were gonna forget in a few mins and it would never happen, you'd probably be pretty sad too. The duke stuff is mildly sad too. I swear the last story was far better written than the rest of the game, though I haven't actually played it.

Gamma's end in SA1. I think that's enough said.

The original Pokemon RBY credits, along with S.S. Anne. Those bits are the biggest nostalgia tearjerkers for some reason, doesn't help that they are kinda sad songs anyway =/

The final SA2 scene. But also an amazing scene for every character. If only the characters got characterised this well ALL the time...

Lost Impact. Lost freaking Impact. Maria appearing straight away, everyone getting mauled by the artificial chaos, the lack of a dark mission, and the sweet, beautiful music. It's still one of my favourite Shadow levels despite the awkward design.

I guess letting the chief die in Streets of Rage 3 is mildly sad, even if only for the music that accompanies the level after. Created with Yuzo Koshiro's crazy style, but yet has a kinda sad tone to it.

Lost Impact. Lost freaking Impact. Maria appearing straight away, everyone getting mauled by the artificial chaos, the lack of a dark mission, and the sweet, beautiful music. It's still one of my favourite Shadow levels despite the awkward design.

Agreed totally. It makes me so sad that the gameplay in the level is so meh.

The best moment is without a doubt when Maria says "Don't you think the research experiments' eyes are kind of... sad?" if that's timed with an emotional high in the music, is a gorgeous moment.

The concluding events of the old adventure game Space Quest 4 were very emotionally moving...

First of all, Sludge Vohaul (the main villain of the game) took control of the mind of the protagonist's future son.

So Roger Wilco (the father) was forced to fight with the possessed Roger Wilco Junior (the son) for a while.

But then Roger (the father) finally managed to sabotage the supercomputer which held Roger Junior under mind control.

After the villain was finally defeated, the father and the son spoke with each other for like 2 minutes, thanking each other for saving each others lives.

Roger Junior (the son) showed Roger (the father) a holographic projection of his mother (the father's wife), and said: "She was quite beautiful wasn't she?".

Roger Senior was shocked, and asked: "What do you mean by WAS? Isn't she still alive in your time period?"

Roger Junior then said that he was unable explain everything to his father.

He bid farewell to Roger Senior, opened up a timewarp, and sent Roger Senior back into Senior's present time period from his own future time period.

(I hope that you peope can comprehend this and that I didn't confuse anybody. The plot in that game series is very very complex.)

Roger Wilco did get to meet his future wife face-to-face inside the sequel Space Quest 5. However, us the gamers didn't get to discover anything about how their affair went and how Junior appeared and stuff like that.

-Panzer Dragoon Saga The very last scene is infact with out a doubt the saddest thing in a game, after you get to know and love the 2 main characters Edge and Azel and they love each other you find out at the end:

Edge was dead all along, he died at the start of the game from the fall or the gunshot wound, his body was being controlled by the Heresy Program and Azel thinks he is lost in the desert, she gets on the Coolia and is warned that if she goes into the desert to find him (she doesn't know hes dead) she'll never return. She goes anyway. As the screen fades to black you see her riding off into the desert.

-Shenmue 2 Basically because it ended on a huge cliff hanger and their hasn't been a Shenmue 3!

-Shenmue 2 Basically because it ended on a huge cliff hanger and their hasn't been a Shenmue 3!

Exactly! Sega needs to stop making so much crappy new Sonic games and make a Shenmue 3 already!

Sonic 06...that ending pulls my heart strings.

Sonic Adventure 2. I think when I first completed the game, I did cry, because it was the death of a (then) great character.

Crysis Warhead. When Psycho kills the Korean Soldier out of rage then breaks down about it.

FEAR. The very last flashback, when Alma cries 'Where are you taking my baby?!' is just...horrific. The whole story of FEAR is horrific.

Halo 3. The speech given by Lord Hood gets me going. Of course, the Chief is alive, but they don't know that. Anything to do with loss at war pulls my heart strings.

Unreal 2. I haven't played this for while, so I can't remember exactly what happens, but its something along the lines of the crew of your ship record their last messages to you before they get completely and utterly decimated by the Dorian Gray. As your there, floating in space in an escape pod, you lie there watching this recording of your best friends final moments. Very saddening.

Edited by Ell678

Legend of Zelda; Majora's Mask is full of moving moments.

How about the one when you cure the Gibdo man in Ikana canyon with the Song of Healing and his daughter Pamela pounces into his arms hysterical? The father wonders what he's been doing during his time mindlessly turning into a Gibdo and his daughter reassures him with the lie that he was having a bad dream. What clinches it is the Song of Healing playing (Godammit that song is beautiful) and Tatl telling the player to leave them both alone after the cutscene.

As far as i'm concerned, seeing Romani like she's been lobotomized and totally unable to talk or do anything but walk around like a zombie on the 2nd day at Romani Ranch if you fail to save her from "Them" gives me resolve to defend the ranch against "Them" on the 1st day.

This is probably the most depressing videogame songs ever. It's very sad-sounding and yet eerily beautiful. It plays whenever the timer strikes midnight on the 3rd day during the 5-6 minute countdown to one of the most horrifying Game Over screens of all time.

The Deku Butler mourning at the little tree during the credits is as sad as it is creepy because it's implied that the little tree is the Deku Butler's son and Skull Kid/Majora murdered/transfigured him horribly and incurably.

Oh wow...I agree Verte, that music does sound very eerie and disturbing, but beautiful too. Actually, the tune at the beginning reminds me of the Hyrule Castle/Tower of the Gods transporting aura sound effect from Wind Waker. O.O Could be a coincidence though~

Hmm, I really have to play Majora's Mask someday. It's on VC so..

Er, anyway! For me there haven't really been many actual sad moments in games, ones that make you cry (I was sad when Shadow died in SA2, but it doesn't count 'cos I wasn't really upset), but there's two that come to mind that really did make my eyes water.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker's ending. Oohhh gosh..when Hyrule flooded, and the King had to be left behind. It makes me whimper when I think about it now! The worst part is seeing Link's face when he can't reach the King's hand and floats off in that bubble that covers him from the water. He just looks so sad and worried. It's heartbreaking~

The second game was more like crying because of er..emotion? I dunno. It's the ending cutscene of Kingdom Hearts II. When that song Sanctuary kicks in and Donald and Goofy pop up and give Sora a biiiig hug, I started to sniffle. And then the orchestral version in the credits starts to play...guhhh, that made my eyes water! It was so beautiful and sad. Seriously, the most beautiful orchestral song in a videogame. Ever. ToT

One thing that kind of bugged me about Majora's Mask is that you don't actually fix anyone's problems...

You just save them from the moon. Kafei will never be able to retrieve the sun mask, Anju will never see Kafei again. Sure, you could do that quest and then go straight to the final boss (I've always wondered if doing this changes the ending), but Romani's milk shipment will be halted by the bandits, and Cremia will still be lobotomized by aliens. Snowhead will still be frozen solid, the monkey will still be boiled alive, that Zora girl's children will never be retrieved, the Gibdo man will remain as he was, and no one will ever talk to that very ordinary looking soldier (the one who gives you the stone mask).

I feel like in some ways, that makes the game more effective, rather than leaving the world in some kind of perfect state, you leave it in a more realistic state, where people have genuine problems and relationships with each other. It's a world that you're a part of, but doesn't revolve around the player.

Majora's Mask is by far my favorite Zelda game. OoT feels bland if I try and revisit it, and TP felt like a step backwards.

Edited by Phos