Awoo.

What will Sonic Generations Play Like?

EXshad

So we've all been discussing the characters, music, stages, and other things we wanna see in Sonic Generations.... but what are your thoughts about how it'll play? How exactly do you want it to play, rather?

Me? I wanna see Sonic Unleashed meshed with a 3D version of the Genesis titles (i.e., Sonic Freerunner). Basically, I wanna see Sonic run, drift, slide, and perform all those moves which keep the gameplay moving fluently without stopping, but with some twists. First off, rolling physics need to make a return. By that, I mean that Sonic is going to have to accelerate when going down hills, or have trouble going uphill without the proper momentum. Thus, the levels should be designed with this in mind, with a more dynamic landscape than the last 2 titles.

This is going to mean some adjustments to the current moveset: first off, when going at a high enough speed, I think the slide should become a spin-roll, serving the same purpose as when pressing the down button while running really fast in the Genesis version. Second, the boost should be used the same way as it was in Colors, NOT Unleashed, so it cannot be overused, and the spin dash can serve a purpose.

As for the spin-dash, I think it should be brought back, and activated by crouching and then pressing the jump button or another button. Of course you can aim it, since the game will be in 3D/2D, more than likely (also, I definitely think 3D should be predominant, as opposed to the 2D-dominated Colors). Also, I still think some on-rails sections, like what was seen in Colors, could make a return, and those sections should be designed with the quick step in mind, taking the place of left and right movement. But besides that, levels shouldn't be linear enough to the point of meriting its use.

Essentially, I think this is how both Sonic's should play, maybe with slightly different statistics (one is faster, one has more control, different animations, sound effects, etc). But this is the best way of mixing everything that works for Sonic, 2D and 3D wise, together, from my view point.

But that's not all I wanna see return. Old motifs and little touches that haven't been seen since the Genesis days should return, just to really make the game feel like it's come full circle. What if, when you strike an enemy, a little score counter pops up, like in the old titles? Or bring back the sign posts rather than the usual goal ring? And of course we gotta have special stages, maybe each individual special stage playing like a different one from Sonic's past (for example, one could be the rotating maze, another could be the pipeline from Sonic 2, another could be the orb maze from Sonic 3, etc)? Stuff like that could not only take Generations back to its roots, but also set a precedent for what is seen in future Sonic games.

What do you guys think? Do you have any ideas for how Sonic Generations should play? What would you like to see?

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it'll play like colors only with more added tweaks to support classic sonic. not like classic is going to have rail griding, homing attack, and BOOOOOOOST!!! to his repertoire (<- Fucking word, how does it work?!).

But then again, hes got to learn it somewhere. PARADOX!

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

The leaked document and the trailer lead me to believe this'll pretty much be Sonic Unleashed daytime levels. I have no other reason to believe that they'll deviate from this. I hold to this for Classic Sonic as well unless SEGA says something different. As much as I would like Classic Sonic to play more like Sonic Adventure, I'm not holding my breath. And besides, I'm fine with the Unleashed control style. The level design may need some improving from it's initial debut game, but the control scheme in itself and high speed antics are perfectly fine. It's as good a Sonic game as any.

If I had to give a guess for how SEGA could handle Classic Sonic though, they'll probably make him strictly 2D and play exactly like he did in Sonic 4, best case scenario coming from SEGA. Yes, homing attack and all, even if it has no place in a 2D game. Sigh.

Edited by Indigo Rush

I expect it to play like Colours but with improvements. It will probably have the Unleashed control scheme but in terms of level design and balance between platforming and speed, it will be more like Colours.

Considering Iizuka is the head of Sonic Team, this game probably won't be as boost reliant as Unleashed but more balanced like Colours. I wouldn't find it too far fetch if they are keeping some of the critcisms of Colours in mind as well. The 3D parts will probably have a little more deth at least, or at least I hope so. The boost will probably be limited like in Colours.

This is all basless speculation though, but that's what I expect and it seems likely to me.

I have to disagree with Indigo though, as I feel they probably won't restrict Classic Sonic to 2D, though they might give him the homing attack because of 3D sections.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

It'll probably be some kind of Unleashed variant, hopefully less hyper-fast-boost-boost-boost styled and with more platforming stuff like Colors.

The thing I wonder most about is how they'll handle classic Sonic. I expect to hear a whole lot of complaining if classic Sonic plays like modern Sonic, but I'm not really sure what else they might try, since they've failed to replicate classic 2D Sonic and they've never really tried bringing classic gameplay into 3D. I doubt it'll be what people want from classic Sonic, in any case...

Agh, damnit. I don't read properly sometimes. As soon as I saw "music" in the sub title...

Sorry, ignore my post. >_>;

I'm really hoping for a carbon-copy of Unleashed gameplay, only in Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Adventure 2 & 2 environments with level design segments ripped from each game, along with new ones as well.

Ah right, I should probably post my thoughts on what this will play like.

...Well, Solid SOAP covered my thoughts pretty well: Unleashed-styled gameplay in Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, SA, and SA2 environments. I don't really expect Classic Sonic to play majorly differently, but I do hope they bring back the spindash in this game (hopefully for both Sonics).

Also, I do wonder if they're going to go back to using rings as boost-fuel in this game after limiting it to White Wisps in Colors. I mean, unless they brought back item boxes and put a boost-filler in them (probably not likely), what else could they use?

Edited by gamerguy21

Also, I do wonder if they're going to go back to using rings as boost-fuel in this game after limiting it to White Wisps in Colors. I mean, unless they brought back item boxes and put a boost-filler in them (probably not likely), what else could they use?

Unleashed gameplay with less QTEs, a bit more platforming.

For classic Sonic? Same deal, just with the slide being replaced with a roll, having less friction, and possibly having a boost that resembles more of a mobile Spindash (kinda like Unwiished boost minus suckage).

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand why Sonic and Sonic should have seperate gameplay. That only does more to seperate the characters, even though they are one and the same.

I hope they make a singular type of gameplay with Classic only existing as a skin, which would just mean a model-swap during the game and cutscenes.

I really don't care about the details of the mechanics, as long as they are all well-done and work as they're supposed to.

Level design should be big. As big as is physically possible on current hardware.

Y'know, to be honest it strikes me as odd that people feel Classic Sonic is obligated to a completely seperate gameplay scheme beyond animation and moveset differences, especially because it was stuff like that that turned people off the concept of multiple characters in the first place, and especially because a more or less unified playstyle (ala S3&K) was exactly what most of us had been gunning for for so long prior. What happened? For what reason beyond blind nostalgia are looking forward to that same pattern repeating itself? Granted, it's not quite Genre Roulette material like say, the Adventure games or Unleashed, but I still find it strange nonetheless that people are suddenly tolerant of the idea of having to learn two seperate gameplay schemes for no good reason. I say, just let them share the same playstyle and flesh out the differences in a much more subtle and intuitive way instead of splitting the game in two. Again. I'll honestly be surprised if Sega is planning anything different.

Classic Sonic should only be able to go at 88MPH before going......Back to the Future!!!

Im one of those who thinks that we'll get two different gameplay styles for the two Sonics.

I really hope Modern Sonic stages play like an improved version of Unleashed's 3D daytime sections. Maybe some more pathways, slightly slower, tighter controls, etc.

And I really, really hope that Classic Sonic plays in 2D like, well, the Classics. Yeah, it's a longshot, especially given Sonic 4, but I can dream.

Y'know, to be honest it strikes me as odd that people feel Classic Sonic is obligated to a completely seperate gameplay scheme beyond animation and moveset differences, especially because it was stuff like that that turned people off the concept of multiple characters in the first place, and especially because a more or less unified playstyle (ala S3&K) was exactly what most of us had been gunning for for so long prior. What happened? For what reason beyond blind nostalgia are looking forward to that same pattern repeating itself? Granted, it's not quite Genre Roulette material like say, the Adventure games or Unleashed, but I still find it strange nonetheless that people are suddenly tolerant of the idea of having to learn two seperate gameplay schemes for no good reason. I say, just let them share the same playstyle and flesh out the differences in a much more subtle and intuitive way instead of splitting the game in two. Again. I'll honestly be surprised if Sega is planning anything different.

The difference is though that this time you wouldn't be forced to either run as Sonic or fish as Big the Cat, you'd be forced to run as Sonic or run as Sonic.

Two different kinds of the same product. It's an interesting case, really. It's like, if in a new Megaman game, you could not only play as classic Megaman with nothing more than the slide and charge attack, but were also able to play as Zero, who has the same concept but with a different kind of control scheme.

It's still fundamentally Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

The difference is though that this time you wouldn't be forced to either run as Sonic or fish as Big the Cat, you'd be forced to run as Sonic or run as Sonic.

Two different kinds of the same product. It's an interesting case, really. It's like, if in a new Megaman game, you could not only play as classic Megaman with nothing more than the slide and charge attack, but were also able to play as Zero, who has the same concept but with a different kind of control scheme.

It's still fundamentally Sonic.

Edited by Blacklightning

I suspect it to play like Colors/Unleashed, because at the beginning, Sonic does the downward dash move, and when he's running through the tunnel he does the slide, after that he does the drift move, and at the end he does the boost.

It will most likely play like Colors/Unleashed

Eh, alright, I can level that we probably won't see more dynamic landscapes, or return of the spin roll, but I still wanna see everything else I posted come back!

I'm just wondering how differently Classic and Modern Sonic will play? Perhaps modern Sonic will have the gameplay we've been talking about, but Classic Sonic will play sorta like Sonic Adventure, but with more of a focus on momentum? Or maybe the Sonics will be a tag team, each with unique moves for certain situations? I dunno, we need to see some damn gameplay... lol

Edited by EXshad

Like many have said before, it'll probably play like Colors/Unleashed. (atleast with modern Sonic anyway)

Like many have said before, it'll probably play like Colors/Unleashed. (atleast with modern Sonic anyway)

Y'know this thread was also meant to discuss what you'd like to see, or how you'd like to see it play too :P

Y'know this thread was also meant to discuss what you'd like to see, or how you'd like to see it play too :P

I hope there are no QTE's. They are just pointless. Overall, I hopes it's more like Colours than Unleashed. If it's like Colours with tweaked controls, more momentum based platforming, and more in depth 3D areas, I will be pleased.