Awoo.

4Kids is celebrating Sonic's 20th anniversary

PC the Hedgehog

Perhaps it wasn't totally geared for the teenage (13-19) demographic, but I think you get the general idea of the fact that Japanese Sonic X was not intended for 5 year olds. I'd say 8-16 is a good age range.

At least the Japanese one has a little swearing every now and then. That always helps.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic X was aimed at the same age group in Japan.

Sorry to go off topic but what is the name of that show ?

Also nice to see 4kids celebrating Sonic 20th anniversary ^__^

This was supposed to be a joke but I ended up making myself look like an ass. I won't do it again. Sorry folks. :(

Dude, I gave you a +1 because I thought it was hilarious. XD Too bad a whole bunch of other chumps got butthurt and neg repped you >_>

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps it wasn't totally geared for the teenage (13-19) demographic, but I think you get the general idea of the fact that Japanese Sonic X was not intended for 5 year olds. I'd say 8-16 is a good age range.

5-12 would be a much better one. And anything over 10 is being generous.

Sorry to go off topic but what is the name of that show ?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Edited by Tornado

5-12 would be a much better one. And anything over 10 is being generous.

Edited by Raxz

In Japan, age 10+ is typically your DBZ, Naruto and Inuyasha fare. There were some elements of Sonic X that erred towards the upper age group (almost exclusively seen in the final season), but otherwise the targeted age groups were roughly the same over there as they were over here.

Edited by Tornado

Why do you even watch the 4kids dub of Sonic X? That was just a letdown. The Japanese was was geared more towards teenagers, and it really is a pretty good show.

I don't want to sound like some advertisement bot, but I do happen to have every episode of Japanese Sonic X (English subtitles) on my YouTube channel if you want to see the original version. Seriously, if you're going to talk about Sonic X, then watch the original one first. ANYONE can complain about the 4kids one (except for 8 year olds), but I think that at least some of you will change your mind about Sonic X if you watch the Japanese one.

You DO realize that 4kids are uploading the jap w/subs versions on their own youtube/hulu channels right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, he realizes. But he's also making a TORRENT of season 3 which is something I don't think 4Kids would do, and unlike the current versions of season 3 floating around on the net it's actually going to have half-decent subbing. This appeals to those of us with laggy connections (like me) who can't use Youtube and Hulu to watch anime.

And anyways, with how censored 4Kids' dub was I don't trust their subbing, even if it's not cut I'll bet it's censored.

Edited by Raxz

You do realize that "uncut" means "uncensored," correct?

I'm still wondering how exactly the mostly minor (albeit still stupid) changes that 4Kids made somehow dragged the show down that much, carrying the implication that the original show is some paragon of excellence that 4Kids ruined. I've seen it in Japanese (not all of it, but probably a dozen episodes, with examples culled from each season). It was still The Chris Show Starring Chris, many of the characters were still poorly-written flanderized composites of how they were in the games, many of the episodes were still horrifically off-model, the show was still loaded with heavy-handed broken aesops, and the majority of the plots were still only possible because nearly everyone in the show was acting like a colossal moron. So what exactly was it, outside of those cut scenes in the final episodes of the last season, that 4Kids screwed up?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

You do realize that "uncut" means "uncensored," correct?

I'm still wondering how exactly the mostly minor (albeit still stupid) changes that 4Kids made somehow dragged the show down that much, carrying the implication that the original show is some paragon of excellence that 4Kids ruined. I've seen it in Japanese (not all of it, but probably a dozen episodes, with examples culled from each season), and it was still The Chris Show Starring Chris, many of the characters were still poorly-written flanderized composites of how they were in the games, and the majority of the plots were still only possible because nearly everyone in the show was acting like a colossal moron. And I've asked this same question a few times in the past, and I've never gotten a straight answer for it.

Its more because the 4kids actors took over from the games around when X still aired, and we all know how well that went over. Combine that with 4Kids' reputation for the infamous One Piece dub(Which is as bad as they say btw), then all of the hate stems from that mainly.

But yeah, people treat

X as if it was this amazing show in the Japanese dub, and 4Kids ruined it beyond comprehension, when X wasn't all that good from the start. I think people only do it because everyone else does.

I've watched some of the Japanese dub, and its only slightly less painful to watch than the 4Kids dub, and no Japanese voices aren't going to make it better.

But yeah, people treat

X as if it was this amazing show in the Japanese dub, and 4Kids ruined it beyond comprehension, when X wasn't all that good from the start. I think people only do it because everyone else does.

I like the Japanese version more then the 4kids dub cause it has better music that actually fits the scenes (the goofy music in the dub is such a mood killer), better script that is not loaded with stupid puns, it's uncut, and I'd much rather watch the original cause 4kids totally butchered and so dumb down some of the episodes like episode 77 (which actually made me cry when I've watch the french dub) for example. I'm not saying that the Japanese version is amazing cause Sonic X does has it's flaws but if I have to choose which version to watch then I choose the original. I probaby would've never liked Sonic X if I've watched the 4kids version first.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

By censored I mean the 4Kids subbers probably had every opportunity to remove swearing and etc. from their translations, but unless you actually speak Japanese (In which case you're probably watching it raw anyways) there's no way to tell when or if they're doing this so even if it's "uncut" they could be kid-izing it still. Comparing translations doesn't help because for all we know half the swearing in the fansub was just exaggeration in the translation.

And as I said before I'm looking forward to the fansub torrent because I'd much rather actually have the episodes on my fucking hardrive so I can watch them when and where I want, INSTANTLY, without having to go to some website, and have to watch it in parts, with advertising, and lag.

Edited by Raxz

better script that is not loaded with stupid puns

No. It just makes painfully unfunny fourth wall breaks all the time. It is a "pick your poison" situation. To a lesser extent the soundtrack is the same way.

Edited by Tornado

4kids? Celebrating 20th anniversary? O.o What they're going to do? Give us a few episodes of Sonic X which dub sucks in every way? -.- They can only do two things: apologize and beg us for mercy!

Edited by MoonRail
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I believe 4KIDS generally does giveaways and stuff like that, things like bicycles, games, things like that. If anything this would just be a giveaway of a couple games, maybe some Sonic X DVDs, stuff along those lines.

No. It just makes painfully unfunny fourth wall breaks all the time. It is a "pick your poison" situation. To a lesser extent the soundtrack is the same way.

Oh please, the fourth wall jokes or any other jokes for that matter aren't anywhere near as prominent in the Japanese version as the horrible puns is in the 4Kids version. When it comes to cheesy humor, the 4Kids version "wins" with at least 5 to 1.

And the Jap soundtrack kicks the ever loving crap out of the the 4kids version, that's just fact.

I do want to state however that i basically agree that Sonic X was overall a pretty lousy show no matter which version you choose (bar the last half of the third season, which had a pretty epic script even if the visuals sucked as much as usual). But the 4Kids version really was much crappier than the original in every single aspect.

The English version of Sonic X is actually better because it's technically shorter by several dozen minutes. Less pain to go through, if you're into that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Sonic X sucks, bros. But we knew that, right?

Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Still, that's rather interesting they are celebrating Sonic's 20th anniversary. If they do it by putting Sonic X on marathon one Saturday (meaning I'll have to hear it blare from my living room because the kids adore it), then I'm pulling out any appliance that is capable of destroying televisions. :v

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic X sucks, bros. But we knew that, right?

I know a guy that would disagree with you and he knows over 1,000 people who would disagree with you. That's just like saying "Sonic and the Black Knight sucks," as if it's fact -- believe it or not there's actually a decent portion of people who like it.

But back on the topic of 4Kids celebrating Sonic's 20th anniversary... yeah, I don't care. 4Kids is on my terrorist bombing ignore list.

I know a guy that would disagree with you and he knows over 1,000 people who would disagree with you. That's just like saying "Sonic and the Black Knight sucks," as if it's fact -- believe it or not there's actually a decent portion of people who like it.

Honesty, 1,000 people really doesn't sound that many... and I don't really know anyone outside the Sonic fanbase who enjoys Sonic and the Black Knight.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

THIS COMMENT WAS EDITED BECAUSE OF UNNECESSARY NEG-REPPING.

Edited by CanofEpicSauce
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 5

(Didn't someone get flamed and negged like mad for making this exact same joke/point on Page 1? Why is this thread repeating itself?)

All I have to say is this: good on 4Kids for actually paying attention and giving enough of a shit about the Sonic franchise to acknowledge its landmark 20 year milestone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honesty, 1,000 people really doesn't sound that many... and I don't really know anyone outside the Sonic fanbase who enjoys Sonic and the Black Knight.

Edited by Raxz