Awoo.

Baldy McNosie Hair

BlueBlur360

Trying too hard? More like not trying hard enough! Robotnik's lines are the only (and I do mean only) really well-written ones in the game, none of Sonic's or any of the other characters' lines made me crack a single smile.

Trying too hard? More like not trying hard enough! Robotnik's lines are the only (and I do mean only) really well-written ones in the game, none of Sonic's or any of the other characters' lines made me crack a single smile.

Better than Heroes, and 06.

Most of Sonic's lines I thought weren't really that funny. A few of them though; espcially when he's found talking to a dead robot, really did make me smile a tad. Also some of the times when Sonic is smack-talking the mute robots made him look slightly....er...insane.

I dunno maybe its just the overly child-friendliness theme and premise of the game which caused it to be so corny, but I'll tell you this much; its better written than any other Sonic game ever made given the actual story. It pulls off child-friendly in much more style than Heroes. It pulls off humour much better than any game before it. There was little seriousness there at all to be worked with, so we'll have to see what the writers come up with given a better overall plot to work with.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and Tails' dialog wasn't all that funny, but they were slick and natural. And at times, full of win. "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!" kinda win. It's a definite step up, just can the "underwear to be worn by salad" bits and we can all be happy.

Also, the funniest part of the game, by far, are Eggman's lines during the levels when he's on the PA. Though, most of those from what I understand were actually just stuff Mike Pollock came up with himself while recording his lines, not something that was written by the actual writers. I could be wrong, but food for thought, given his lines were the best in the game.

"Do you know where those rides have been? People have been sitting on those rides!! With their BUTTS!!!!!" With their butts indeed, Eggman, with their butts indeed.

Edited by EXshad

It is arguable that Sonic and Tails weren't even meant to be written as strict comic relief in the vein of Eggman and co. in the first place. However, they were clearly characterized as fallible best friends who could rib and joke with one another, and they were relatable and amusing in that regard.

Regardless, that doesn't address Sonic's characterization on his lonesome, but I don't know how anyone couldn't find anything good in Sonic's gloating in regards to the boss fights. It was delightfully corny and attitudinal, and just plain fun. I think my favorite is his snippy little monologue before the Asteroid Coaster boss. His dinner metaphor before the Aquarium Park boss was also smile-worthy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and Tails' dialog wasn't all that funny, but they were slick and natural. And at times, full of win. "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!" kinda win. It's a definite step up, just can the "underwear to be worn by salad" bits and we can all be happy.

This is basically how I feel. Tails and Sonic's dialogue was far from the pinnacle of comedy, not usually getting much more than a smile from me, but the more important thing was that it was so much more natural than almost any dialogue they've ever had before now. It wasn't really funny, but it was still kind of charming. Even when I wasn't laughing, though, I was rarely bothered by the humour. The only place where that was really an issue was some of the translation stuff, which got a little bit tiresome. Mind you, that could just be the result of watching that one cutscene a million times to hear Roger and Kate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Also nver noticed it until now but, the first time Cubot changes his voice chip, Orbopt starts singing a part of the Bone Song from Monkey island (AND that's exactly when Cubot starts to talk as a pirate).

Wow!!! you're right! It's the exact same song from Monkey Island 2! (With altered lyrics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjnOyFEQdys(It starts around 1:20)

How didn't I noticed this earlier? :o

The talking to the dead robot dialogue is one of my favorites :)

Wow!!! you're right! It's the exact same song from Monkey Island 2! (With altered lyrics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjnOyFEQdys(It starts around 1:20)

How didn't I noticed this earlier? :o

You know, that song didn't originate from Monkey Island. It's apparently a popular song called "Dem Bones".

Anyway, here's a part from the DS version that I found funny:

Orbot: Looks like one of the boss's creations.

Omega: Terminating Eggman's robots!

Cubot: Whoa! A laser beam! I wish I had a laser beam!

Orbot: He's awfully aggressive for one of the boss's robots, isn't he?

Cubot: Must be going through a rebellious teen phase.

In any case, I think I would tolerate the Wii script a lot more if they didn't drag the jokes for so long. As it is, Colors's script and story may be one of my least favorite.

No, I don't agree. The dialogue did feel like it was trying too hard. The reason was that some of the humor between Sonic and Tails came off as cheesy and very bland. Like the writers were trying to make the lines witty, when all it did was make the humor forced most of the time.

Disregarding my personal views of the story, my favourite line is said by Sonic near the end; "Let's make like the doctor's hairline and recede!" That, along with Eggman's announcements, had me choking with laughter.

Edited by Kits'Okami

Disregarding my personal views of the story, my favourite line is said by Sonic near the end; "Let's make like the doctor's hairline and recede!" That, along with Eggman's announcements, had me choking with laughter.

You are not doing that scene justice.

Sonic: Hey Tails.

Tails: Yeah?

Sonic: I have a bad feeling about this?

Tails: Good, so its not just me.

Sonic: When I feel the ground shaking under my feet and see plumes of dust rising and rumble tumbling and aliens running for their lives, yeah, I get a bad feeling. So, how about you and me make like Eggman's hairline and recede?

Tails: Uhh, this isn't joke time. This is running to the space elevator-time.

Sonic: Sorry, couldn't help myself. We're out of here.

Tails(already in mid stride): Yeah, RUNNING NOW!

Tails was hilarious and people are vastly underestimating this.

You are not doing that scene justice.

Sonic: Hey Tails.

Tails: Yeah?

Sonic: I have a bad feeling about this?

Tails: Good, so its not just me.

Sonic: When I feel the ground shaking under my feet and see plumes of dust rising and rumble tumbling and aliens running for their lives, yeah, I get a bad feeling. So, how about you and me make like Eggman's hairline and recede?

Tails: Uhh, this isn't joke time. This is running to the space elevator-time.

Sonic: Sorry, couldn't help myself. We're out of here.

Tails(already in mid stride): Yeah, RUNNING NOW!

Tails was hilarious and people are vastly underestimating this.

Oh, I do apologise for not writing out the entire scene where my favourite line is said. How about I just embed the scene in any future posts where I refer to this particular example of comedy gold so that anyone who gives a damn can truly appreciate this whimsical example of video game comedy?

Edited by Kits'Okami

Oh, I do apologise for not writing out the entire scene where my favourite line is said. How about I just embed the scene in any future posts where I refer to this particular example of comedy gold so that anyone who gives a damn can truly appreciate this whimsical example of video game comedy?

To be honest I have yet to pay attention to Eggman's announcement lines throughout the acts, but from what I read, goddarnit, they sound hilarious as heck!

Yeah, after reviewing the cutscenes a second time I too notice the forced feel in that humour. Still, something about these strike me as charming and funny. Unlike SA2B and Heroes, I look at the characters here and it feels I'm watching characters with life and soul. Personally it's a nice change comparing to the serious stuff I remember seeing from recent titles on YouTube back then.

Perhaps if script writers can mix in this goofiness, tone it down just a bit or make it not so forced or exaggerated and add in something more interesting to it, we could see something of better quality coming up. Whatever comes in, I hope they keep it up! While not amazing, lines like these surely brighten up the day.

Edited by MickX

I feel like the writers poured all of their talent into Robotnik's lines, and when it came to everyone else's, they just didn't care and threw together whatever came to mind. And then they had all of the characters laugh at their own jokes, making it seem like they're actually funny. Whenever I watch the cutscenes in Sonic Colors, it feels like I'm watching the game with a laugh track.