Awoo.

Hedgehog Crossing, Look out for Cars

BlazingTales

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105180-Sega-Championing-Awareness-of-UK-Hedgehog-Decline

The company behind the most famous hedgehog in the world wants you to know that Sonic's real-world counterparts in the UK are having a tough time.

I've always wondered why Sega chose to make Sonic the Hedgehog a hedgehog. Hedgehogs aren't blue, they don't wear sneakers, and they aren't known for running particularly fast. While Sonic might not resemble real-life hedgehogs in any way, he's still rather emblematic for the species. Sega has teamed up with the UK's People's Trust for Endangered Species to help make people aware that there are now 300,000 fewer wild hedgehogs in the UK than there were ten years ago.

Intensive farming is destroying hedgehogs' rural habitats, says the Trust, and car accidents claim 50,000 of the spiky little creatures every year. To help promote awareness of the cause (and to help promote awareness of Sonic's upcoming Sonic Colors), Sega created a "hedgehog road crossing" in Twickenham, south-west London, letting the beasts hog the road - if only for a little bit.

Four of the critters were set up in a crosswalk while a crossing guard monitored traffic - and at least one of them was wearing Sonic's red running shoes (so I guess I stand corrected up above). "Our hedgehogs had great fun ruling the roads for the day with the hedgehog crossing," handler Trevor Smith told the Daily Mail. "[it] will hopefully encourage everyone to do their bit in helping the hedgehogs of Britain stick around for years to come."

Sega's Anna Downing concurred. "Hedgehogs are an intrinsic part of British wildlife and with Sonic the Hedgehog such an institution we thought he was the perfect figure to raise awareness of their plight."

Marketing ploy? Perhaps. Good cause? Depends on how you feel about hedgehogs. Personally, I'm for 'em. So as far as I'm concerned, good on y'all, Sega. Hedgehog decline is a topic with which I'm sure you're familiar, and if we can avoid it, we really ought to try.

Sonic Colors hits shelves in Europe on November 12 (as Sonic Colours) and in North America on November 16 for Wii and DS.

I actually never knew the hedgehog population was dropping that rapidly. It's always nice to hear another "Sonic- you can do anything" story, even if it is just for some press.

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is awesome. Look at that hedgie's cute little Sonic shoes! Well they missed out the buckle but so what, they're still soooo cute XD Sonic influencing real life Hedgehog related things is so cool, reminds me of that time when that Sonic-loving kid helped make keeping Hedgehog's as pets legal in a certain state. It's just so awesome that the very influence of Sonic helps is helping preserve the species.

But seriously, it's so awful that these wonderful creatures are declining. They're the gardeners best friend! If people were more educated I bet they wouldn't be declining like they are. I mean how many people believe that bread and milk is good for them when in reality they are lactose intolerant? And rubbish is also a great danger to them when they get their heads stuck in pieces of it.

Long live Hedgehogs!

• Thumbs Up 3

That is actually thoroughly adorable. I saved the picture of the hedgehog in his lil' Sonic shoes :)

Didn't they do this years ago as well? About the time of Sonic & Knuckles? I remember it being in The Sun I think (my grandparents still buy that worthless waste of wood pulp, I can't imagine why, it doesn't contain any actual news, hmm, maybe that's why - The Sun: Brining You Escapist News - And Tits!)

I'm sure they would save a lot of hedgehog's lives if they gave them power shields too. lol. :lol:

That and...LaZZRRS!, lol :lol:

I know this is all for a good cause, but this has to be one of the coolest publicity stunts for a Sonic game I've seen since Sonic Adventure 2's Hedgehog commercials. They're promoting Sonic's games, and helping out the real hedgehogs all at once.

Brrrriillliant!

Edited by the blu blur

That and...LaZZRRS!, lol :lol:

I know this is all for a good cause, but this has to be one of the coolest publicity stunts for a Sonic game I've seen since Sonic Adventure 2's Hedgehog commercials. They're promoting Sonic's games, and helping out the real hedgehogs all at once.

Brrrriillliant!

I agree. And those hedgehogs in the picture are just the cutest things ever!

Yay Sega!

I really don't like when people go "it's all a marketing stunt" when a company does anything really good. Who gives a shit if they're trying to, you know, stay open as a business. The fact remains that they did something good.

I really like small animals of almost every kind (fuck you, squirrels) so this is pretty great. Hedgehogs are a pretty damn important part of the UK from what I hear, so the more the merrier.

Publicity for SEGA/Sonic.

Awareness of hedgehog roadkill.

ADORABLE pictures of hedgehogs.

Looks like everyone gets a little something out of this stunt. Every news story should be as great as this one.

Wait, I'm confused. How is it that hedgehogs are getting run over by cars? Because in Sonic Adventure 2, cars are instantly destroyed when Sonic touches them. These hedgehogs should be fine. Why help them when they can send the cars flying? xD

Wait, I'm confused. How is it that hedgehogs are getting run over by cars? Because in Sonic Adventure 2, cars are instantly destroyed when Sonic touches them. These hedgehogs should be fine. Why help them when they can send the cars flying? xD

It only works if they can go up to speeds 340.29 m / s. :lol:

Edited by Ryusuke

LOOKITDERELITTLEFACES Q_Q AND THE SONIC BOOTS <3

Actually I'm not sure how this will help the hedgehogs (aside from confusing a handful into thinking the road is safe because of the nice lady in the uniform who was there that one time), but it's a fun story all the same.