Awoo.

Multiplatform differences?

Shane

Scouring the Internet, I've noticed that info on multiplatform differences in Sonic games that aren't Unleashed is somewhat scarce.

For this post I will stick to post-Dreamcast games as the differences between Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are well-documented as is.

From my findings, it seems people prefer the GameCube versions of Sonic games over the others.

Sonic Advance:

What's this you ask? Sonic Advance was actually ported to the N-Gage, retitled Sonic N. Not too many differences besides the removal of Tiny Chao Garden and different camera options, but the GBA version is recommended.

Sonic Heroes:

Most people prefer the GameCube version. I recall reading a few years back that the Xbox version was inferior to the GameCube version, but lately I've found nothing to support this. The PS2 version, however, is known for audio problems and the lack of a solid framerate (it barely reached 30fps, while GameCube stays almost exclusively at 60fps). Can anyone who has spent a lot of time with the GameCube and Xbox versions confirm the differences? One theory seems to be that since the PS2 version wasn't available in Japan, it was lazily ported by Sega of America.

I've played the PC demo briefly but I don't know much about that version. I do know it can be easily found in UFO machines, though. XD

Also, the GameCube version doesn't have Japanese voice tracks.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

The GameCube version seems to be superior, but doesn't contain Japanese voice tracks, which was a big deal for some who weren't used to the new voices, although I'm sure these same people weren't used to the Japanese voices either, does being in another language make it somehow better? XD (I'm actually a Jun'ichi fan myself, so I guess I can somewhat understand this.)

The PS2 version runs at a lower framerate, but contains Japanese voice tracks and the differences aren't as drastic as with Heroes.

The Xbox version's controls are more slippery and a Slot 2 controller can't control Shadow's partners, and it also suffers from framerate issues. This seems to be the worst version of the game.

Sonic Riders:

I literally know nothing about any differences between the four versions of this. Help would be appreciated.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006):

The PS3 version seems to be known for having shinier character models and a lower framerate as well as even more glitches than the Xbox 360 version.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

The Wii version has Japanese voice tracks, does the PS2 version? I think widescreen is Wii-exclusive too, and that the PS2 game has shinier models and a lower framerate.

Sonic Unleashed HD:

The 360 version runs at 30fps and is mostly steady, while the PS3 version caps at 60fps but tends to be all over the place. The lighting is slightly different and the PS3 version is missing the transformation cutscene when switching between night and day. Some textures are different, and the PS3 version suffers from draw distance, which causes a few windmills to look quite ridiculous. More info on this can be found here. (Why did I bother to cover this game in the first place? XD)

Sonic Unleashed SD:

The Wii version and PS2 version have different character models for Sonic - the Wii version's model is much more animated. Sonic stands in different places in certain screens, too, if I recall correctly. The Wii version's graphics are a bit more polished and can go into widescreen.

So, can any of you help me with what I am missing? I would appreciate help particularly from those of you who have experienced multiple versions of these games. Heroes for Xbox and Riders in general are the two games I need info for the most, but anything I missed for the other games would be greatly appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Mister_Sibuke

The PS2 version of Shadow the Hedgehog isn't that bad. The only big differences is that it has framerate drops and dumbed down textures. Either way, ill make a comparison between all 3 versions.

The PS2 version of Shadow the Hedgehog isn't that bad. The only big differences is that it has framerate drops and dumbed down textures. Either way, ill make a comparison between all 3 versions.

I don't know, I found it really hard not to bump into stuff in the PS2 version. One thing I'll say that is much better than the GC version is the rumble feature. Shooting feels much better because of that.

Wow, Shadow must be hell on PS2. I thought the Gamecube version was slippery enough.

Walking around is fine but, as soon as your rocket sneakers kick in and you start running, every environment turns into a giant ice rink.

Which is annoying, as it means whenever you pick up any exciting speed, you lose total control and can only pray.

I don't know, I found it really hard not to bump into stuff in the PS2 version. One thing I'll say that is much better than the GC version is the rumble feature. Shooting feels much better because of that.

The Gamecube version has a rumble feature, as does every major Sonic game since Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast.

SA2 had a massive amount of differences between DC and GC. Here are just a few;

- Different camera angles in certain cutscenes

- New title screen

- Sound Test is on the menu instead of in the options

- Sonic now has his SOAP shoes on throughout the entirety of the first Hero Side Story cutscene as opposed to them being his original sneaks early in the DC version cutscene then them magically changing into SOAPS when he jumps on the copter's wing

- Different ads in City Escape

- Spruced-up character models

- Different sound effect when entering/exiting Chao gardens/Chao Kinderaten

- Different music in Chao Lobby

- There's now a Chao cave upon entering the Chao Stadium in order to choose between race and karate

- Different Hero and Dark Garden. Hero Garden no longer has a river cutting it in half or a bridge and the pink clouds are now animated. Dark Garden no longer has a mountin with a cauldron in it but has a larger pool

- On-screen skill level details of Chao

- Fortune teller, different bulletin board and Black Market in Chao Kindergarten. Chao doctor tells of the Chao's grades for abilities, personality, ranks in races and karate and age as well as Chao's type and won gems/medals in races

- Chao Karate

- Different 2P mode

- Different unlockable outfits for 2P mode that bestow specific powers on characters i.e alternate suit Sonic gets Sonic Wind every 20 rings and no other special move

- Flaming lamps in Aquatic Mine now have black smoke coming from them

- Most Big cameos in levels and cutscenes removed

- Score requirements for A Ranks altered in some missions

- Short pillar in the "Huge Oasis" in Dry Lagoon right near those 3 heads of the wall is now made of transparent polygons, maing a nice glass effect.

- It's raining in White Jungle

- Omochao's are located near the Goal Rings of City Escape and White Jungle, they say different things if held when touching the Goal Ring

- Altered tutorial screens

- Eggman and Tails have slightly altered voice effects when jumping. If Eggman/Tails made a jump whilst moving in the DC version, they'll utter what sounds like "hutt". Any kind of jump in GC version is "Yoh!" (Eggman) and "Huh" (Tails)

- Sonic's Sonic Wind attack looks different. In the DC version, the attack looks dark blue. In the GC version, it's light blue.

- Whenever Knuckles/Rouge/Sonic/Shadow/Tails/Eggman use special attacks in either bosses or 2P mode, they have a coloured background when they utter the attacks name.

- New NiGHTS hotel in Radical Highway

- Eggman's Egg Walker now has it's light turned on in Iron Gate

- Different ads in the Tails and Rouge driving levels

I know there's a lot more than that. It's just trying to remember o.o

you forgot that in the DC version Sonic (and all the other non-vehicle characters?) run faster. This is most noticeable running down the side of the building in City escape with Sonic. In the DC version, he's hauling ass, in the GC version it looks like he's running so slow he will fall off any time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mister_Sibuke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRg4YbvC-g

I finally finished my Sonic 2006 comparison... Here's a list of differences:

The 360 version is more vibrant

The 360 version has more/better shadows

The 360 version has more reflection on textures

The PS3 version is faster (Causes more slow down)

The PS3 version has less glitches

The PS3 version has shorter load times

The PS3 version has higher polly

The PS3 cutscenes drag on longer

... I'm sure there's a lot more differences but I can't remember.

Edited by Mister_Sibuke

The Gamecube version has a rumble feature, as does every major Sonic game since Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast.

I know, I meant the rumble feature in the PS2 version feels so much better.

• 2 years later...

Sonic Adventure Comparison - Dreamcast vs DC Collection part 1  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKT6nSeFPw

Watch Sonic Adventure 2 - Dreamcast vs XBox 360/PS3/PC.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8n9f...

Sega Dreamcast VS Dreamcast Collection - Sonic Adventure,
This is a comparison between the original Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure and the most recent HD Port; I made this comparison to show you how the original version looks in comparison to the more recent port,
Here you'll see the differences between Emerald Coast, a Cutscene and Station Square from both the Original and the newer HD version,
Some things I noticed
Emerald Coast
At 0:34 we can notice the different water textures from the Original version and the port,
At 0:46 we can see some differences between both versions, dynamic water on the Dreamcast version and flat water on the HD Port; Note: At 00:50 you can notice a graphic bug on the DC version, that's because im playing it on NullDC emulator, however, this does not happen on the real Dreamcast hardware,
At 1:06 we can see the water reactions on the sand, on both the Original and the Port,
At 1:18 the HD Port loads the next are area faster then the Dreamcast version,
If you pause at 1:48, you can notice a different texture on on the HD Port,

Cutscsene:
The text looks buggy on the Dreamcast version, again its a bug from the NullDC Emulator,

Station Square:
At 03:26 we can take a look at the different asphalt textures,
At 03:38 we take a look at some windows, and compare the different reflection effect between the Dreamcast and the HD version,
At 3:53 we can notice the significantly better reflection on the Dreamcast version,
At 4:06 to 4:25 we take a look at more water textures,
At 4:26 we take a look at the station entrance,
Note: I playing Sonic Adventure on NullDC Emulator, so there might be some rare graphic glitches, that wont happen if played on real hardware,

• Thumbs Up 2