Awoo.

sonic's 20th Anniversary

BlueBlur360

If the game was, indeed, confirmed to be Sonic Adventure 3, then I would be absolutely ecstatic; all it needs is a more serious, less juvenile, Final Fantasy-esque plotline, a total engine re-write and an approach to gameplay which is at least in the same vein of Sonic Adventure 2's incredibly well-balanced and perfectly formed style, and I'll be a very, very happy individual indeed.

But they tried that before and it turned out ugly to most. D:

Besides... Sonic is for kids right? *crickets chirp*

But they tried that before and it turned out ugly to most. D:

Besides... Sonic is for kids right? *crickets chirp*

Ugly, but not because of a serious plot, etc. We have a bad attempt with Sonic 06. But we also have a successful attempt with SA2. It's not the plot, but a simple quality of development.

My personally opinion is that Sonic games should be for gamers of all ages and not only for kids.

Call me a cynic, but I don't see the draw of a so-called "Sonic Adventure 3". What would a Sonic Adventure 3 bring to the table that another differently titled Sonic game wouldn't?

The only thing the name "Sonic Adventure 3" brings to the table is a set of unreachable expectations that vary by fan and can probably never be met. The Sonic Adventure's were great games in their own right, and afterwards, yes the series dipped a little bit. This was when people started hoping for Sonic Adventure 3; not a specific game, but merely a hope, a request, that SEGA go back to the same kind of development quality that made the Adventure games what they are. The two Sonic Adventure's don't even have that much in common, aside from varying playstyles, which are actually loathed by many Sonic fans, a Chao Garden, and a similar level of care and polish in each title. Apart from that they are actually both very different titles. Making a third Sonic Adventure is another Sonic 4 situation; the name brings all kinds of expectations with it and no doubt thousands if not millions of fans will find themselves with a disappointing game - not because it'd be a bad game, but because people have put this idea on such a high, yet vague, pedestal, that the game Sonic Adventure 3 wouldn't be the game many had dreamed up in their heads.

Besides, Sonic Adventure 3 has already been cooked up to varying degrees in previous games. Sonic Heroes was the literal successor to the Adventure titles. Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Battles and Chronicles were the storyline successors to the Adventures - and Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed ("Sonic World Adventure" anyone?) were both designed to be successors to the Adventures in style and gameplay, both to varying degrees of success.

Overall, it seems like we don't need a Sonic Adventure 3. What we need is quality Sonic titles, and it seems like we're finally getting that, with the superb Rush titles, the upcoming Colours and Sonic 4, and to an extent, Sonic Unleashed (which, whilst gaining mixed response, was at least well rounded and polished). We're finally getting the level of quality that we've been asking for since Sonic Adventure 2; we don't need to throw the name Sonic Adventure 3 in there just for the sake of it. Hell, Sonic Colours looks BETTER than what I imagine a potential SA3 would be.

The only thing I would say is that, yes, Sonic 20th should DEFINATELY feature the return of the Chao, and everything that looks to be good from Sonic Colours and Sonic 4. I'd love that game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, whilst I loved SA1 and SA2, they were very VERY flawed games.

Firstly, two thirds of the game was playing either as a mech, or hunting for emeralds (SA2).

I personally found this to be incredibly boring or frustrating (Mad Space, Prison Hall and Meteor Herd, I'm looking at you)

There was also the fishing and the shooting and [slowly] running away from a robot (SA1).

Then there is the speed levels. They were great, speed and platforming. An extent of momentum physics with the rail-grinding.

However, Sonic twitched about like a bitch at high speeds, and rarely stayed in a straight line; espcially in SA1.

Yes I would LOVE to see an SA3, but I'd want Knuckles' and Tails' gameplay to be fun, and not tedious and boring.

I'd also want Sonic's gameplay to be polished to perfection. My solution would be to combine the best elements of the Adventure formula and the Colours formula, and tweak it till its perfect.

If this game is NOT SA3, then....oh well, I just hope its good...

Edited by Scar

The 2012 predictions are wrong and the world will end Late May 2011.

I'm calling it.

And as it ends, SEGA will release a trailer of the most amazing looking Sonic game ever that could somehow please every single person in the fanbase. :P

I have no idea. Colours looks great, which worries me. It comes out soon and I'm wondering if SEGA will have had the time to make another good game. Sonic Adventure was a good game and was released in 1998. Then came Sonic Shuffle. Afterward we got Sonic Adventure 2. I just hope SEGA doesn't make a bad game for the anniversary like with 2006.

I'm pretty sure that they'll have time (maybe =P)

If you break up the teams that are currently making the sonic games we have now, you'll see that Sonic team is the only ones that we don't know what they're doing (at least I hope I'm right on this).

Let's break it up like this:

Sonic 4 : Dimps

Sonic Colors (Wii) : Story Book team?

Sonic Colors (DS) : Dimps

Sonic Free riders : ???

20th Anniversary game : ???

And if anyone knows the rest feel free to fill in the blanks =P

Sonic Free riders : ???

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a different part of SEGA (or Sonic Team) that largely developed the Riders games with supervision/cooperation by Sonic Team? If so, I'd wager that portion is developing Free Riders as well.

Which I guess still leaves the main part of Sonic Team open?

To be honest with you, I would probably feel better if Sonic Team didn't feel compelled to make a Sonic game in time for his 20th Anniversary. We've a lot on as far as Sonic goes this year, and this stuff does usually take some time to plan. Now assuming they haven't started planning for it already, another title in time for June 2011 would probably just make for a mediocre title. And with something as amazingly brilliant (trust me on this one) as Sonic Colours on the horizon, I don't think Sonic Team can afford to mess up the pace that they're about to set for themselves.

Something in 2011 to commemorate his anniversary year, maybe. I just don't want what's coming up on the horizon to be later on undone by something that could be potentially terribad.

This is all of course assuming that Sonic Team have planned nothing because they're already supervising/developing so much. You never know, I could very well be wrong.

I would also like to make the point that as much as the thought was endearing to me after finishing Sonic Adventure 2 for the first time, that Sonic Adventure 3-simply put- would be stepping backwards for Sonic at this point in time. I really don't think we should go there again. What I want are really good, well-written, immersing Sonic titles and right now I'm under the firm opinion that Sonic Team really do need to develop their direction with Sonic alone first before chucking more characters into the fray, which is what the Adventure titles lend to. Do not want. Not yet, anyway.

Edited by Syaming Li

Even though it probably won't happen, Sonic Adventure 3 would be great. I mean, the first two games were actually fun! Sonic 06 had potential,but it was released too early. Unleashed was just shit, they didn't learn from their mistakes, and they took a HUGE step backwards. They should've improved on the 3D gameplay, instead of taking a step backwards and doing a 2D game. Do Adventure 3, re-learn how to do a GOOD 3D Sonic game

Overall, it seems like we don't need a Sonic Adventure 3. What we need is quality Sonic titles, and it seems like we're finally getting that, with the superb Rush titles, the upcoming Colours and Sonic 4, and to an extent, Sonic Unleashed (which, whilst gaining mixed response, was at least well rounded and polished). We're finally getting the level of quality that we've been asking for since Sonic Adventure 2; we don't need to throw the name Sonic Adventure 3 in there just for the sake of it. Hell, Sonic Colours looks BETTER than what I imagine a potential SA3 would be.

Actually I agree with you up to a point, why SA3 should not be released. This is also why I just wait for a good game, but not for "holy resurection of the great series".

But I don’t want just colorfull platformer with only Sonic and poor storyline or so! I want a game with all my favourite characters, so I could play them as much as I want, I want interesting story, not just some sort of "background", but a very important element of the game which makes you want to play more. But I can get all this only in case Sonic Adventure 3 will be released, as long as Adventure series are the one, that created all those features, things I like. Thats why Sonic Colors and games like it will never show Sonic the way I like. Thats why SA3 is a better case for me than cloning Sonic Colors.

Well, whilst I loved SA1 and SA2, they were very VERY flawed games.

Firstly, two thirds of the game was playing either as a mech, or hunting for emeralds (SA2).

I personally found this to be incredibly boring or frustrating (Mad Space, Prison Hall and Meteor Herd, I'm looking at you)

There was also the fishing and the shooting and [slowly] running away from a robot (SA1).

Personally I find all those gameplay styles awesome! I love treasure hunting, I like to play Tails and Eggman in their machines, and for me those styles are as good as speedy gameplay style for Sonic. I spent a lot of time playing Adventures, and I love all theese genres very much. If Adventures required only running to complete the game, those games would never become my favourite. Damn, I do not understand how running_like_crazy_through_all_game can be so amusing - good games must have variety, and for me alternative gameplays of SA were the ones.

Edited by Kvitron

Personally I find all those gameplay styles awesome! I love treasure hunting, I like to play Tails and Eggman in their machines, and for me those styles are as good as speedy gameplay style for Sonic. I spent a lot of time playing Adventures, and I love all theese genres very much. If Adventures required only running to complete the game, those games would never become my favourite. Damn, I do not understand how running_like_crazy_through_all_game can be so amusing - good games must have variety, and for me alternative gameplay of SA were the ones.

I'm all about variety, but sometimes, the levels just got ridiculous. I mean, yes Mad Space was a cool idea, but the controls on the planetoids was really bad. Meteor herd was a nice large level, but when trying to find three very small objects with a gimp'd radar, in a level that huge...it just gets annoying. I preferred the SA1 styles treasure hunting TBH.

I've just run into a problem....

What name would SEGA give to a blockbuster 3D Sonic game?

. . . . . .

Er......Sonic....Accel...

Anybody got a better name?

Damn, I do not understand how running_like_crazy_through_all_game can be so amusing - good games must have variety, and for me alternative gameplays of SA were the ones.
Variety should come from variations of the gameplay, not completely separate gameplay styles. What they should be doing is taking Sonic's gameplay, refining it, and building onto it, pushing it in all sorts of directions without abandoning the core gameplay. Tacking on a half dozen other gameplay styles, which have basically nothing to do with each other, and are at best mediocre due to only having a fraction of a game's worth of focus, doesn't work; you can't treat a game like a katamari ball, just sticking on whatever junk is laying around, and expect to get anything other than a mess.

Don't forget the rumours from earlier in the year that said SEGA was planning another Sonic collection for the anniversary. The idea of a $100 special edition was thrown around in a meeting with Sony.

Well in 3 months it will be 2011 which will mark sonic's 20th anniversary. I'm really excited for it but there's a 50/50 chance for it to be amazing like SA2 or horrible like 06. Hopefully SEGA will bring us a masterpiece but until then I have no idea what it will be so what my prediction will be either sonic 4 episode 2 or SA3.

what comes up must come down :P that is true for the 50/50 chances let it not be 06 but i dont completely hate 06 it is a sonic game :D

• Thumbs Up 1

what comes up must come down :P that is true for the 50/50 chances let it not be 06 but i dont completely hate 06 it is a sonic game :D

Dude, seriously. Grammar. LEARN IT!!!!!

Either way, if it's a Sonic Adventure 3 (Which I highly doubt) then Sonic Team will manage to fuck it up somehow, I can just tell.

And if it's Sonic 4, then goddamnit SEGA, at least make the gameplay resemble the old games, not just slap on the Sonic Rush gameplay elements and call it Sonic 4.