Awoo.

Bad experiences with Preowned games.

SHAX Hedgefox

I'm here to tell a little story. Okay, it's not actually a story as much as it is me ranting about a couple of crap games I got recently.

I haven't got a job yet, so instead of saving up my money and trading in games for 8 weeks or so just to buy a 360 game that I'll probably only play for about a total of 3-4 hours and then get bored out of my skull, I browse through the local EB Games, GAME and JB Hi-fi stores looking for preowned titles that interest me. Today, EB games were having a sale on, so I thought I should go in and see what they've got. I left the store with three games that I knew little to nothing about. These titles were: The Bouncer (2002), Megaman X Command Mission (2004) and NHL 2K6 (2005). When I got home, I placed The Bouncer into my PS2, and while the disk read, after 10 or 15 seconds of loading, it went straight back to the memory card/Disc screen. I cleaned the disc, cleaned my PS2's lens, but it still wouldn't work. After about 15 minutes of trying, I gave up, made a mental note to return the damn game as soon as possible and then placed NHL 2K6 into the PS2.

Thankfully, it worked, but the game itself was HORRIBLE. It finally made me understand why developers constantly update their games, not just because of roster and lineup changes, but the CONTROLS! I mean, I enjoyed the early 2K games on Dreamcast, and the later games on the Xbox 360, but the 2K6 on the PS2 is AWFUL! The controls were terrible, the graphics were bad by even PS2 standards, the music was terrible, and I just didn't enjoy it. Finally I placed Megaman into the PS2, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

Surprisingly, it didn't suck! It was actually quite good. But 1 out of 3 is not a good thing. I left with a Crappy, out of date Hockey game, one good JRPG and a Squaresoft Beat-em-up that won't work.

Now tell me, dear reader. Has anything like this happened to you? Hmm?

My friends and I bought Mystic Heroes for the GC thinking it would be good (bought it used of course). We didn't like it too much so we went to Gamestop the next day to return it. Little did we know that we left Super Monkey Ball 2 in the Mystic Heroes case so when we returned it they didn't even check the game itself (meaning they didn't open the case) so when we walked all the way back to my place we opened the GC and Mystic Heroes was still in there! If we would have known they weren't going to check the game we would have never put a game in there... but we lost a great game that day XD

Last week I bought Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast at a flea market. However, when I got home to play it, it froze right before Tails' first boss fight. Then when I tried the dark side story, it froze when I got to the end of the first level! And the worst part about all of this is that I paid $80 for this game!

Last week I bought Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast at a flea market. However, when I got home to play it, it froze right before Tails' first boss fight. Then when I tried the dark side story, it froze when I got to the end of the first level! And the worst part about all of this is that I paid $80 for this game!

WHAT?!

I really, really hope that's a typo...

Ouch $80 for SA2 Dreamcast damn son you got ripped off badly

Anyway around about E3 (June) I wanted to get Legend Of Zelda:Twilight Princess and I seen it for £10 pre owned and since I've wanted to get into the Legend of Zelda games for sometime and it was around the time that Skyward Sword got announced so I got Twilight Princess for a tenner since I was pretty hyped up to play Legend of Zelda after seeing Skyward Sword gameplay videos and this was my first Legend of Zelda game too. So I took it home and went to play it but the disk wouldn't load it the boot up on the main menu on the Wii dashboard giving me a error pop up so I thought I put the disk the wrong way (since I do that sometimes heh) but I didn't put it in wrong and the disk has no scratches or anything on it but I figure I'd take it back to the shop since it wasn't working and see if I could replace it with another disk of TP or another game but they didn't have any in so I got another game for the 360.

I didn't get TP until last month for £14 at GAME and that works perfectly for a pre owned game but I've not really had much bad experiences with pre owned games besides that one time lol.

Edited by Shaddix

Run it through a CD resurfacer. $80 is way too much bro

I once paid $80 for a game, but I'm not saying which one! IT WAS RARE AT THE TIME BUT A YEAR LATER THEY REPRINTED IT. I WAS SO FUCKING PISSED. Oh well, live and learn!?

One time, I bought Persona 3: FES used. Except the disc was the original Persona 3, and the disc was so scratched up, my PS2 refused to accept it.

I tried to return it, but I discovered that that particular game store had a "no return" policy on used games. But I wasn't going to accept this shit. I fought with them until I got every penny back, and immediately afterward, I inquired about a new copy, which apparently they kept behind the counter (I should have done this in the first place). They got pretty pissed, but they tried to get me to just buy another used copy, but I was like "fuck you" (not in exact words). I got my new copy, and I left, and I never went there again, and I'm glad they went out of business!

• Thumbs Up 1

One time my friend bought a game from Gamestop(I don't remember which game)and the game was cracked into 2 pieces, the only thing keeping it together was the front tape.

I've had only 1 bad experience with a preowned game. And that game was Sonic Shuffle.

Wouldn't play at all when put in the DC.

On the upside, at least I got to take it back, get my £21, go to Electronic's Boutique (Yes, it still existed in Britain back in 2002) and buy SA2 when my mom agreed to put the extra £8.99 towards it. So I couldn't care less about not getting to play Shuffle 'cos I wanted SA2 more and finally got it only because Shuffle failed :P

A not-so-bad issue with a preowned game was Mega CD version of Sonic CD. The only tiny problem was the manual which had it's back cover ripped off but otherwise it was absolutely fine.

Edited by Verte

WHAT?!

I really, really hope that's a typo...

Ouch $80 for SA2 Dreamcast damn son you got ripped off badly

Run it through a CD resurfacer. $80 is way too much bro

Looking back on it, yeah... $80 is way too much money for that game. That being said though, a few hours ago I tried playing it again, and for some strange reason, it worked. I figured that eventually it would freeze again, and although it froze once, I just cleaned the disk with some windex and it was working fine afterwards. The only conclusion that I can make from all of this is that Sonic Adventure 2 hated me last week.

I buy most of my preowned games at Gamestop (and now that they are trying to clear out their PS2 inventory, I buy a lot of them). While I know someone who owns a professional disc resurface machine, whenever I get a bum copy I just take it back and they give me a different one.

Therefore, outside of one time where I bought a used game that ended up exploding the first time I tried to play it, I've actually had pretty good luck with these things.

I bought a copy of Zero Mission once, and it pretty much broke apart when I pulled it out of my Gameboy after playing.

Of course, I took it back and they gave me a brand new copy for free and then everything was great.

I think that's it. I don't have problems with used games.

I bought a copy of Zero Mission once, and it pretty much broke apart when I pulled it out of my Gameboy after playing.

Oh hey I had problems with Zero Mission too.

Except I bought it off of Amazon and the game shipped to me was a demo cartridge.

And that's about it for my preowned game troubles.

actually I just realized - this is more of a problem with buying online

Edited by Ovarloard

Bought Luigi's Mansion...preowned of course. I bought it online though on the Gamestop website, and the thing froze and couldn't read the disc way before the title screen showed up. Luckly, I got the disc replaced at a local Gamestop.

Bought Pokemon Gold back in 2006 at Gamestop. The thing had trouble saving cause the internal battery ran dry, so three months later, I swapped it for Pokemon Silver (very nice of the worker there to do)....but I never played it cause I always had a fear of the internal battery running dry. Hey I was scarred from that Gold copy, what do you expect?

That's about it.

I bought an old Star Wars game for PS2 once, don't even remember what it was called. I put in the disc, and my PS2 made some generic PS2 noises, and then refused to play the game. I returned the box and disc. (The disc was a little scratched up, though. But not that badly.)

Bought Pokemon Gold back in 2006 at Gamestop. The thing had trouble saving cause the internal battery ran dry, so three months later, I swapped it for Pokemon Silver (very nice of the worker there to do)....but I never played it cause I always had a fear of the internal battery running dry. Hey I was scarred from that Gold copy, what do you expect?

Pop that shit out and fix it up!

There's no way to recover data if the battery dies, but a dead battery is not a permanent issue. Fix it!

And use a CR2032. There is a bit of a clearance issue, but it should last longer.

Edited by Tornado

I've never had any problems with pre-owned games. I only buy them in stores and that's rarely as I'd rather save up for a new version if it's something I really want.

I got a copy of FFX used, and when it got to the scene when Auron and Tidus discover Sin where Auron says "Look", it kinda froze at a weird scene where Tidus is hiding behind Auron's back.

Edited by Chaosmaster8753

I buy most of my preowned games at Gamestop (and now that they are trying to clear out their PS2 inventory, I buy a lot of them). While I know someone who owns a professional disc resurface machine, whenever I get a bum copy I just take it back and they give me a different one.

Therefore, outside of one time where I bought a used game that ended up exploding the first time I tried to play it, I've actually had pretty good luck with these things.

Yeah, I always get my used games at Gamestop. If anything goes wrong, I can do the trade thingy. Can't lose.

I rarely ever have bad experiences with pre-owned games, but I did have one somewhat bad experience recently. About a year ago, I bought the Sega Superstars Tennis/XBLA Compilation combo (Already had SST for Wii, but I bought the 360 version for the better graphics, the Xbox Live Arcade games, and [mainly] the fact that it was only $5). So after I bought the game, I didn't bother to check it since I generally have good experiences with pre-owned games. Then when I got home, I find out that the XBLA disc works perfectly, but the SST disc is covered in scuff marks and won't even start up. But it was no big deal since I just brought it back to GameStop the next day and got a new one that was in great condition.