Awoo.

What's Your Favorite SpongeBob Episode/Moment/Whatever? Or, What's Your Fondest Memory of SpongeBob?

The DOMinator

spongebob-squarepants-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-nickelodeon-nick-sbsp.thumb.jpg.97910e0e2761da0eb5462268b6faac3b.jpgRemember that time SpongeBob made fun of the old Sonic movie design? No?

I'm sure everyone's aware of who this guy is, right? Or have you just been living under Patrick's rock for 25 years? That's right, as of today, SpongeBob's been running for 25 years, debuting all the way back on May 1, 1999. If you weren't, that's okay. I completely forgot about SpongeBob's anniversary up until I seen @Thigolf's recent status update. So, in honor of the year of the yellow sponge, forget about red echidnas and black hedgehogs for just a moment, no matter how old you are, I want you to tell me either what's your favorite SpongeBob episode/moment (or whatever else is relevant), and/or what's your fondest memory of him/the show/the franchise? If you've been keeping up with me, as per the usual, I don't have much time to write an answer of my own (writing this before class starts), but to give a brief answer, the first 3 seasons and the first movie are all top tier for me. Hot take, I know. So, are you ready kids? Get typing!

• Thumbs Up 1

Aye aye captain! I have some free time... You know the Sailor Words episode right???😓 Ehehehe... That one was the most memorable because when I watched it with my dad, we were laughing our asses out! Also the Texas one because... That's where I lived. When I was younger, I'd chase squirrels in hope that they were Sandy Cheeks! It was so nice coming home after playing with friends in the summer after a long day to watch Spongebob! I'll always love that show. Happy 25, Spongebob!

• Nice Smile 1

My favourite episode is probably the one where SpongeBob and Squidward are competing for "Employee of the Month". There's something so refreshing about SpongeBob being uncharacteristically (Intentionally!) mean towards Squidward!

My favourite character is Sandy, and I'm looking forward to her own movie later this year (Let's hope Paramount don't pull a Knuckles and push her to the side in favour of the humans!).

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Maple Syrup said:

Aye aye captain!

I can't hear you!

You know the Sailor Words episode right???😓 Ehehehe...

Classic episode, both funny and relatable. Got to love the twist at the end with Old Man Jenkins!

That one was the most memorable because when I watched it with my dad, we were laughing our asses out!

Swearing while talking about such an episode? Blasphemous! If you want to talk like a sailor, than you'll have to work like a sailor! Go paint a building!

Also the Texas one because... That's where I lived.

Texas is du-

5ERV.gif.25e11c0ade0f618a0c1ab1b543150c6e.gif

12 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

My favourite episode is probably the one where SpongeBob and Squidward are competing for "Employee of the Month".

Another classic.

12 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

There's something so refreshing about SpongeBob being uncharacteristically (Intentionally!) mean towards Squidward!

Yeah, you don't see that often! "Can You Spare a Dime?" from season 3 comes to mind. Case in point:

Que SpongeBob pushing Squidward, while still in bed, out the front door.

22 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

(Let's hope Paramount don't pull a Knuckles and push her to the side in favour of the humans!).

Likewise! Also, apparently, the movie leaked out in full sometime ago, it you're interested. I personally have dodged it, as I'm willing to keep spoiler free since I have Netflix (it being a Netflix exclusive the last time I checked)... through a family member's shared password, but don't tell Netflix that!

• Fist Bump 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

Texas is du-

5ERV.gif.25e11c0ade0f618a0c1ab1b543150c6e.gif

IKR!!!!!!!!! But I do not want to be hunted down by the Texans, they are vicious.

Edited by Maple Syrup
  • Chuckle 1

I admit I'm not a big fan of Spongebob, though there was an episode that made me laugh a lot and I still remember it to this day:

That time when Spongebob and Patrick were playing with a paper box and Squidward was annoyed by them... at some point he turns the TV on, and they're airing a Box match, where the contenders are 2 actual paper boxes. Even though I predicted the joke, it was still so stupid that still made me laugh.

• Fist Bump 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Iko said:

I admit I'm not a big fan of Spongebob, though there was an episode that made me laugh a lot and I still remember it to this day:

That time when Spongebob and Patrick were playing with a paper box and Squidward was annoyed by them... at some point he turns the TV on, and they're airing a Box match, where the contenders are 2 actual paper boxes. Even though I predicted the joke, it was still so stupid that still made me laugh.

Sometimes the stupidest of jokes are the most funny. It's the setup and timing of it that make it so, along with Squidward's expressions and reactions.

Speaking of which:

Edited by The DOMinator
  • Chuckle 1

If I stop to think about it, I get at a loss for words. SpongeBob was the childhood cartoon for me. I think it was even this year when I stopped to think how recent SpongeBob actually is. Like, no one who grew up before the 2000s had it in their childhoods, yet it's one of the most widely recognizable cartoons to pair with Mickey Mouse, Tom & Jerry, and the Looney Tunes.

As for the memories per se, I'm not sure if I have any memory that sparks that magical feeling. I think that at least one of my birthday parties between 2–5 years old was themed after him, but I don't really have memories of that.

I think the closest to actual sentimental memories attached to it were during my childhood weekdays, when I was 7-10 years old (I think) and I would spend the entire morning before school watching cartoons, and ofc SpongeBob was one of my favorites. Furthermore, I also remember playing some PS2 games centered around him.

To me, it's hard to imagine a world without SpongeBob because even in my earliest memories, he was already there. It's very crazy to me to think Sonic is older than him, even though that's probably normal to anyone older than me reading this. (I'm 21 for reference)

• Fist Bump 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Solister said:

SpongeBob was the childhood cartoon for me.

Same here, for the most part. What probably helped was that it was on most of the time, even with me having grown grown up in the early 2010's (I'm 16 for reference) and most of Nickelodeon's time slots being filled with live action sitcoms, with the occasional new cartoon here and there.

I think it was even this year when I stopped to think how recent SpongeBob actually is. Like, no one who grew up before the 2000s had it in their childhoods, yet it's one of the most widely recognizable cartoons to pair with Mickey Mouse, Tom & Jerry, and the Looney Tunes.

To me, it's hard to imagine a world without SpongeBob because even in my earliest memories, he was already there. It's very crazy to me to think Sonic is older than him, even though that's probably normal to anyone older than me reading this. (I'm 21 for reference)

It is pretty hard to grasp, as it seems as though he's been around forever, and yet most people are capable of recognizing the character and/or show on par with the series/franchises you mentioned, probably more so the younger the generation you go. It says something when anytime you go on to social media or the internet in general, there's a good chance you'll come face to face with a SpongeBob meme of some sort. Similarly, it isn't hard to find the yellow sponge on some stranger's person, whether it's clothing, a backpack, an accessory, etc.

I think the closest to actual sentimental memories attached to it were during my childhood weekdays, when I was 7-10 years old (I think) and I would spend the entire morning before school watching cartoons, and ofc SpongeBob was one of my favorites.

Just to show how many hours I put into watching this cartoon when I was younger, there was point where during my elementary school years (can't pinpoint an age), I had seen pretty much every single SpongeBob episode up till the latest premieres! Actually, about a month or two ago, I went on to Paramount+ with the idea of checking the validity of my aforementioned memory, a well as catching up on some episodes of the show that I have missed since I've stopped watching it (haven't kept up with it since about 2016-ish, although, was somewhat in the know through YouTube and the internet in general). As I scrolled through the catalog of episodes, I found that I could recall pretty much every one! In addition, what I ended up doing instead of my original plan though was clicking on episodes that I could vaguely remember, only to find myself calling everything before it happened, or just straight up remembering said episode only a few seconds in!

Furthermore, I also remember playing some PS2 games centered around him.

I hear that a lot of those games were pretty good, in particularly Battle for Bikini Bottom, the movie game, and Lights, Camera, Pants!. I was fortunate enough to get to play the remake of BfBB a few years back after having purchased it while it was on sale on the PlayStation Store on my PS4. It was simple, yet pretty fun, all the while being completely authentic to the show, with me even being able to discern a lot of references to things from the show's history. The puzzle in the Mermalair was a bit bull though. It was the only part in my play through where I needed a video guide to figure things out (not counting collecting leftover golden spatulas for 100% completion). On a similar note, I got the pseudo sequels (in terms of play style) Truth or Square (digitally via Xbox One backwards compatibility) and Cosmic Shake (digitally on PS4 after it was on sale with its respective DLC). Both are pretty easy, all things consider, but they more than makeup in the authenticity department. I like how the latter goes the extra mile with some things that didn't even needed to be included but were, such as the all new gross-ups.

Edited by The DOMinator