Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Fang the Hunter #3 - Official Discussion Topic

SanPolo4389

Warp Topaz... I guess Starline never claimed to name it. But that implies HBK will write it down somewhere.

Plot is pretty predictable and lacking depth, with little character exploration or exciting action. So your enjoyment will be based solely on whenever you find comedy to be your cup of tea. Personally I chuckled a little at Eggman's chair, otherwise pass.

This issue, like the two that came before it, was alright. I enjoy it yet can't wait for the Fang miniseries to be over because...well, you know if you've seen my last two reviews.

There are gags and one-liners aplenty. The ones I enjoyed were Sonic's boredom and his later confusion when Tails explained his machine, "YOU...SHALL NOT...TOUCHIE!" and of course, Heavy King's terrible excuses. Something about robots being sassy is hilarious to me :'D

Warp Topaz backstory and more lore on how it works is nice to see. It makes me curious to know what happened to it between the Hardboiled Heavies owning it and Starline acquiring it, and I've already got several ideas for how it might have switched hands through the years.

Art continues to look great, no complaints there. I liked the page where the trio were running through the warship; something about the comics resembling 2D gameplay is delightful.

Last thing I want to bring up is...Is Bean reminding anyone else of Sonic? xD Usually he's a wacky loose-cannon, but here he's got a laid-back and sociable sort of snarkiness when interacting with Fang. It really struck me on the panel where he says, "First time for everything amirite", complete with the cheesy grin and finger gun. After that, I just couldn't get it out of my head that a LOT of his lines and mannerisms are stuff that Sonic would do if he were the one standing next to Fang instead.

It's not something I mind at all, but it is amusing to see this shift in his personality. I suspect it's because he's a protagonist that needs to entertain for several pages at a time rather than a gag antagonist that appears for one or two panels like usual. The cloudcuckoolander bit could easily become grating after awhile.

22 minutes ago, Gruffin said:

Warp Topaz backstory and more lore on how it works is nice to see. It makes me curious to know what happened to it between the Hardboiled Heavies owning it and Starline acquiring it, and I've already got several ideas for how it might have switched hands through the years.

Anything that gives us some Starline backstory is a win in my book. As much as I love the guy, he kinda came outta nowhere and we have very little idea as to what he was up to prior to the Metal Virus saga. Like, why did he have a truck with his logo on it?

22 minutes ago, Gruffin said:

Last thing I want to bring up is...Is Bean reminding anyone else of Sonic? xD Usually he's a wacky loose-cannon, but here he's got a laid-back and sociable sort of snarkiness when interacting with Fang. It really struck me on the panel where he says, "First time for everything amirite", complete with the cheesy grin and finger gun. After that, I just couldn't get it out of my head that a LOT of his lines and mannerisms are stuff that Sonic would do if he were the one standing next to Fang instead.

It's not something I mind at all, but it is amusing to see this shift in his personality. I suspect it's because he's a protagonist that needs to entertain for several pages at a time rather than a gag antagonist that appears for one or two panels like usual. The cloudcuckoolander bit could easily become grating after awhile.

Hehehehehe... Given that I've been working on incorporating Bean into episode four of Sonic Burst and I'm still trying to get a good bead on his character as a character and not just a series of one-liners, this is an interesting comparison to consider. Especially since Bean will be appearing alongside Tails in this episode's arc (that's hardly spoilers, the episode is titled Tails' Skypatrol so of course Tails is going to have a major role in it.)

• Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

Anything that gives us some Starline backstory is a win in my book. As much as I love the guy, he kinda came outta nowhere and we have very little idea as to what he was up to prior to the Metal Virus saga. Like, why did he have a truck with his logo on it?

Hehehehehe... Given that I've been working on incorporating Bean into episode four of Sonic Burst and I'm still trying to get a good bead on his character as a character and not just a series of one-liners, this is an interesting comparison to consider. Especially since Bean will be appearing alongside Tails in this episode's arc (that's hardly spoilers, the episode is titled Tails' Skypatrol so of course Tails is going to have a major role in it.)

Actually I think it’s the opposite, I have the impression that the classic universe was where the topaz ended up after the events of the metal virus arc like how sonic was sent to blaze’s dimension 

• Confused 1
  • Unamused 1

6 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Actually I think it’s the opposite, I have the impression that the classic universe was where the topaz ended up after the events of the metal virus arc like how sonic was sent to blaze’s dimension 

...right. Sega is still going with the 'alternate universe' theory rather than 'past/future,' aren't they?

Kinda stupid if you ask me, because it begs the question of 'if the classic games happened in another dimension, then how DID Sonic meet Tails, Amy, and Knuckles in the modern dimension?'

Edited by Lorekitten

1 hour ago, Lorekitten said:

Like, why did he have a truck with his logo on it?

... because Eggman has logo on his stuff so he wants to do the same.

I'm not holding my breath for "Starline the movie" which shows purchase of the truck or his important visit to hairdresser.

1 hour ago, Lorekitten said:

...right. Sega is still going with the 'alternate universe' theory rather than 'past/future,' aren't they?

No they don't.

In recent Tails Tube modern cast referenced of Sega Superstar events. It back to 1 timeline.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

... because Eggman has logo on his stuff so he wants to do the same.

I'm not holding my breath for "Starline the movie" which shows purchase of the truck or his important visit to hairdresser.

No they don't.

In recent Tails Tube modern cast referenced of Sega Superstar events. It back to 1 timeline.

Yes in the games but as far as comics I think they are still treating the classic and main comics as different universes because they don’t quite mesh well together

i know it’s confusing but sega now stating that the comics, games and even sonic prime all share the same universe doesn’t mesh well

• Confused 1

Do you have any examples of "don’t quite mesh" beyond vague tone?

For me if Sonic Colors and SA2 must be in same continuity, then I can live with small inconsistencies. That comes inevitably with any long running narrative.

• Nice Smile 2

11 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Do you have any examples of "don’t quite mesh" beyond vague tone?

For me if Sonic Colors and SA2 must be in same continuity, then I can live with small inconsistencies. That comes inevitably with any long running narrative.

Basically having to wonder where bean, bark and fang in the modern era and the character designs being different in prime and differences in characterisations there as well as will the comics ever have to catch up to the events of frontier 

• Confused 1

• The title was changed to Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Fang the Hunter #3 - Reader Reaction & Review
8 hours ago, Lorekitten said:

Yeah, agreed. I didn't catch that truck detail and thus haven't thought much about it, but it would be cool to see more about his villainous schemes prior to joining up with Eggman. I mean heck, he managed to collect both the Warp Topaz and all seven Chaos Emeralds somehow. There's plenty of room for story from that alone.

8 hours ago, Lorekitten said:

Best of luck on that! I can imagine Bean brings some rather unique challenges when writing him xD

---

8 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

I am a bit confused by this post. Didn't the 900th Adventure oneshot take place after Metal Virus? In that oneshot, the topaz neither started out nor ended up in the Classic Universe.

Edited by Gruffin

1 hour ago, Gruffin said:

Yeah, agreed. I didn't catch that truck detail and thus haven't thought much about it, but it would be cool to see more about his villainous schemes prior to joining up with Eggman. I mean heck, he managed to collect both the Warp Topaz and all seven Chaos Emeralds somehow. There's plenty of room for story from that alone.

Best of luck on that! I can imagine Bean brings some rather unique challenges when writing him xD

---

I am a bit confused by this post. Didn't the 900th Adventure oneshot take place after Metal Virus? In that oneshot, the topaz neither started out nor ended up in the Classic Universe.

Sorry forgot what happened in the 900th adventure so thanks 

9 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Basically having to wonder where bean, bark and fang in the modern era and the character designs being different in prime and differences in characterisations there as well as will the comics ever have to catch up to the events of frontier 

1 Off screen. Same place Shadow was during Unleashed or Lost World. Where GUN is since Shadow 05. Where Gemerl is outside IDW and Advance 3.

2 Difference between Prime and Games design wise are minimal. You don't question whenever Star Wars cartoons are canon to live action movies, right? Sure, Rouge wore new outfits, so she did during Heroes.

3 Considering how differently Shadow, Amy or Knuckles were written between games, there must be much bigger variation in characterization for me to make a fuss.

4 Let's say it won't catch up and that all IDW will forever take place before Frontiers. Would that be a problem?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1 Off screen. Same place Shadow was during Unleashed or Lost World. Where GUN is since Shadow 05. Where Gemerl is outside IDW and Advance 3.

2 Difference between Prime and Games design wise are minimal. You don't question whenever Star Wars cartoons are canon to live action movies, right? Sure, Rouge wore new outfits, so she did during Heroes.

3 Considering how differently Shadow, Amy or Knuckles were written between games, there must be much bigger variation in characterization for me to make a fuss.

4 Let's say it won't catch up and that all IDW will forever take place before Frontiers. Would that be a problem?

Just can’t see the idw main universe and classic as being the same due to aesthetic and their lighter tone but on topic 4; I can’t help but think that sega will be sega in deciding that they want the main comics to catch up to the main games at some point and soon have the team have sage be part of the cast with them having to do a recap page of frontiers to explain things

• Confused 1

Colors and Adventure 2 are 100% canon together, so that's your tone.

And at least in 2011 everyone was in agreement that Sonic started as small chubby as Classic and then aged into lankier noodle-limb Modern with green eyes. No one questioned why his eyes changed color for no reason, it was just design change. So that's your aesthetic.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Gruffin said:

I'd forgotten about him getting the seven chaos emeralds. I wonder what the story behind that is? I mean, judging from his track record in the comics, he's not usually that competent, for all his posturing...

17 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So, your saying, that the classic and modern timeline was merged for 2 games (Forces, Generations), then split again, why? 

22 minutes ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

So, you're saying, that the classic and modern timeline was merged for 2 games (Forces, Generations), then split again, why? 

No. What I'm saying is.

2011 (Generations) Sega claimed Classic is the past of Modern
2017 (Forces/Mania) Sega claimed Classic is the alternative dimension/timeline to Modern
~2022 (Start of Lore Council) Sega changed their mind again and Classic is once again the past.

Sonic 1,2,3,CD were always parts of both timelines. Sega split was mostly so new Classic games (Mania) didn't have to worry about how they fit with the Modern timeline. But somebody convinced Sega that this isn't necessary, since even modern Sonic games are fairly easy on continuity. How it works I explained 5 comments above.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, okay, i think im getting it... (I like your PFP btw)

39 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic 1,2,3,CD were always parts of both timelines. Sega split was mostly so new Classic games (Mania) didn't have to worry about how they fit with the Modern timeline. But somebody convinced Sega that this isn't necessary, since even modern Sonic games are fairly easy on continuity. How it works I explained 5 comments above.

I had this thought literally yesterday, right? if we assume sonic 1 plays out like we know it to (All emeralds, moves to CD), but if CD plays with different Timelines (like, if sonic didn't save Little planet, or he did, we don't know), then the only Solid-Canon game, might be Sonic 1. like, how do we know in lost world, Quartz Quartrant is saved? what about Collision Chaos in Heros? Heres the same thing I said yesterday in my status update:

"another thought I had was, if CD has the Past/Present/Futrue thing, then ANYTHING can happen. so, technically speaking, Sonic 1 is THE only Solid-Canon game in the SERIES. no tails, no knuckles, no shadow, it would be only sonic and Eggman."

Edited by Cyb3rkn1ght

Did anyone notice Bark has a hobby for knitting?

• Way Past Cool 2

5 hours ago, Lorekitten said:

I'd forgotten about him getting the seven chaos emeralds. I wonder what the story behind that is? I mean, judging from his track record in the comics, he's not usually that competent, for all his posturing...

I think he's decently competent when he's not up against his own hubris and a certain blue hedgehog. He was able to harness the power of the warp topaz despite its instability, found Eggman, made Surge and Kit, etc etc. He's pretty good at doing the first step of an evil scheme to establish himself as a threat, but then something inevitably happens to humble him.

1 hour ago, StreetSonic2022 said:

Did anyone notice Bark has a hobby for knitting?

Must be why he's working with Fang. He's got to fund that expensive hobby somehow :P

1 minute ago, Gruffin said:

I think he's decently competent when he's not up against his own hubris and a certain blue hedgehog. He was able to harness the power of the warp topaz despite its instability, found Eggman, made Surge and Kit, etc etc. He's pretty good at doing the first step of an evil scheme to establish himself as a threat, but then something inevitably happens to humble him.

Yeah, his problem isn't that he's not brilliant, it's more that he's not as brilliant as he thinks he is. With an ego that size, you'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE as brilliant as Starline thinks he is.

• Promotion 1

• The title was changed to Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Fang the Hunter #3 - Official Discussion Topic

I hope Honey appears in the next issue even if she doesn't say anything like in the FCBD 2021. She appeared in Amy's Anniversary last year but it's veeeeery small to notice at first glance.

Are the 30th anniversary and  Fang mini series likely to make it in to the IDW collected editions? Not sure I'm asking in the right place but...just wondering If I should get them now or wait.

The Sonic series never ran on multiverse theory (as in the time travel theory, not regarding the multiverse itself) to begin with, this is why you can change the future in CD and why Silver's history was changed as a result of 06, so he meets Sonic for the first time in Rivals. The mention in Forces according to the wiki was a translation error and due to multiverse theory being the popular thing around that time and SEGA's lack of care at the time few (like myself) bothered to question it. (Though considering how filled with continuity errors Forces is I do find it a bit baffling that it was given the weight that it has) As for IDW, it has been confirmed by Ian and other SEGA employees that it is canon to the games, with the Christmas special of Tailstube outright referencing several IDW only characters and places.

• Thumbs Up 1