Awoo.

The Real Life SA1 Burger Man Statue is no more...

Badnik Mechanic

On mobile so excuse the external links.

If you play Sonic Adventure. You've probably seen this guy...

image.png.8fbf459eaa336f0b41a777db2bca9e4b.png

That's the Burger Man statue. He stands outside of the Burger Shop and you can puck him up and carry him around.

But if you talk to some of the NPCs in the game, specifically a little girl who wanders around this area, she tells you that the statue knows the secret of why the burgers taste good, and that the statue likes to go on adventures, along with a bunch of other really strange facts.

Well... there's a reason for this... because the statue is based on a real life urban legend in Japan known as "The Curse of the Colonel."

The long and short of it, is that the Hansin Tigers baseball team won a major tournament and their fans went wild in the streets, which culminated in a statue of KFC's colonel Sanders being pillaged from a branch and thrown into a river.

What then followed was a 23 year loosing streak for the team, which fans blamed on the ghost of Colonel Sanders from beyond the grave.

Authorities eventually recovered the statue and it was put on display... and last year... the Hansin Tigers finally won again!

This is all very well but... how does this... well look at the statue!

image.thumb.png.caed953c686eb5b397af02ae31ede740.png

Now look at burger man.

image.png.8fbf459eaa336f0b41a777db2bca9e4b.png

The suit! The pose! Even the girl asks you not to throw it into the river! Which you can do if you take it to the beach!!!

Even in the DX version there's a mission where you have to rescue the Burger Man statue from the bottom of a lake!

There's more detail on the links and the "curse" in my video. Skip to 46:59

And for the last... erm... many years... the statue has been on display at a special museum... until yesterday where it was destroyed...

KFC Japan have decided the statue is in too poor condition to maintain and have made the decision to destroy it in a doll ceremony... and yes of course there's footage of it!!

The remains of the statue were buried in a shrine at Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine in Osaka City.

This is the most important piece of "Sonic" news since the Sonic Unleashed trailer crashed SSMB.

https://nordot.app/1142646609736499711

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• Wittymations

• castell-neath

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had no idea that the single best character in SA1 was inspired by a real statue. Huh.

Anyway, as for the news? This is outrageous. It's unfair.

Cool story! Lots of that us news to me.

However, these days Colonel Sanders reminds me too much of Rolf Harris when I look at him.