Awoo.

Favorite alt. Sonic shoes?

Austroid

sonickicks2.PNG.a935aef4fdc96621f4e742354d53e947.PNG

Sonic's gone through quite the collection of kicks over the years. What are your favs and least favs? (I'm counting all BUT his regular shoes)

SOAPs are GOAT; but I've also have come to really like the Light speed shoes. They've just got a nice, sleek look. The band being all white reminds me of how his shoes were depicted in early western media, and the gold being on the back is a nice change; and also makes it so you always see some gold when your playing! 

My least favs are definitely Boom's. What where they thinking covering most of them with sports tape!? Combine that with all the tape on his arms and legs, and its like he's half-heartedly cosplaying a mummy or something! 

Edited by Austroid
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Riders kicks are my favorite. They are a nice, modernized take on the classic.

But I have to give a shout out to his kicks in Archie. The attention to detail on his tread pattern makes detail freaks like me swoon.

Soap by a mile! I still have a pair of soaps too! Scabs in smoke color.

Big fan of both the Light Speed Shoes and Soap Shoes. Soap Shoes have a distinct shape that sticks out on Sonic's silhouette and just look plain cool.

Also, goodness gracious are the Prime shoes just plain ugly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only play Frontiers with the Soap shoes, but maybe not for the reason you think. I find that the Soaps are a little bit too detailed for a design that's otherwise as clean and sleek as Sonic's. And they certainly don't look like they'd be comfortable to run in. But there's a noticeable issue with Sonic's colour palette when wearing his standard shoes in 3D games; you can't see the red part of his shoes from behind when he's running, instead just getting a greyish smear. The red shoes are integral to Sonic's design, contrasting both his own blue body and the environments we usually see him running around in. The red blurs we're used to seeing in the 2D are incredibly important from a character design perspective, but that's completely lost in most of the 3D games. The soaps in Frontiers have coloured soles, and that alone makes his run cycle look a million times better than it does by default. 

Sonic Team need to invest in some significant character design attention to detail in their next game. Nothing is coherent and everything is way outdated. Gimme a slight redesign of his usual shoes where the toe box and heel on the sole have a dark red colour, whilst preserving the grey rubber band across the middle. And then adjust the shaping of the shoes in general to be slightly most realistic, with a defined heel and slight arch and then we'd have a winner. Something between the movie shoes and the light speed shoes. This SADX mod isn't perfect, but it gives an idea of the kind of sole design I'm looking for:

spacer.png

Also the Light Speed Shoes, to properly answer the question. They're a very elegant, effective design that add a lot with their shape and gold spot on the heel, without going overboard on the details ala the soaps or comic book soles. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

The light speed dash shoes are so stylish. They're my favorite

• Fist Bump 2

52 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I only play Frontiers with the Soap shoes, but maybe not for the reason you think. I find that the Soaps are a little bit too detailed for a design that's otherwise as clean and sleek as Sonic's. And they certainly don't look like they'd be comfortable to run in.

I've not specifically worn Soap before since they've been out of business for years, but grind shoes with that shape and design have very comfortable and resistant insoles and treads that make them ideal for running and especially parkour. They're great at keeping footholds on uneven surfaces and whatnot, which is good for a character like Sonic. It's better than spikes in that regard, which are what you'd use for running flat and consistent surfaces.

I was going to play it safe and give the obvious answer with the soap shoes, but those werehog shoes are clean. I've played Unleashed a few times and never once took the chance notice his shoes.

• 5 weeks later...