Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Fang the Hunter #2 - Reader Reaction & Review

MetalSkulkBane

Fang 2 is out.... yaaaaay?

Most of the issue is fighting Knuckles. It's fine I guess. Nothing too special, but hey ghosts and funny Knuckles though balloons. But of course Knuckles doesn't know anything, so that was a massive waste of time.

I can't stand Bean & Bark rebellion sub-plot. It just feels wrong, neither funny or dramatic.

Isolated Island from Knuckles Chaotix is here, I guess that's kinda neat? I wonder if Classic Chaotix can appear in the future.

Mystery Ship is still being mysterious, unless of course you seen any of future covers. Still, we don't know how it does it disappearing act, but logic suggests it's thanks to mysterious 8th emerald. So is it Phantom Ruby? New gem? Warp Topaz makes portal so that's probably not it. I guess that's that's as big of a draw as we have.

Overall this story has one or two "kinda neat" things, which isn't enough to satisfy me.

While this story still isn't my personal cup of tea, I can at least say I enjoyed this issue more than the first. This will probably be one of those miniseries that is more enjoyable on a reread when there aren't months of waiting involved and I'm not thinking about some other story I like more being on haitus for it.

There were a few gags that I enjoyed, such as the ghosts, Sonic's reaction to the ship disappearing, and Bark and Bean's mood dropping during their rescue when Fang tells them off. I forget if I mentioned this for the first issue, but the expressions are really good so far. They're so exaggerated and fun, and add a lot to each scene.

The art is gorgeous, and shows off the zones well. I'm half-wondering if this plot is intended as a way to show off a bunch of locations in the classic universe? It certainly feels like that's the case since Fang and his crew aren't gaining much from these places otherwise.

I'm liking that Bark and Bean are getting fed up with Fang. It shows that they're not blindly loyal to this guy who jerks them around. I'm guessing they'll be back to normal by the end of this, but it's still nice to see this group of mooks have their own interests in mind that brought them together and can break them apart if unfulfilled. Makes them more interesting that way.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Warp Topaz makes portal so that's probably not it.

I suspect it's this. I haven't bothered to check any other issues, but in the 900th adventure oneshot, the topaz uses the same sfx ("VOIP") and visual effect as the ship does in this issue, and it doesn't always show a portal when it warps. It lines up with what Fang said about the color too--Orange? Gold? Rainbowy?--It's got the orange/gold hue, and has a sort of color-shifting, rainbowy effect in several panels of the 900th adventure.

• Thumbs Up 5

The only thing I like was Bean's reactions of being saved. Happy to sarcastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Loved seeing the destroyed remains of the Newtrogic High Zone.

It would be nice to see more Eggman base ruins in the actual games instead of just in the comics or Sonic Channel Stories

On 3/14/2024 at 1:03 AM, Sonictrainer said:

Loved seeing the destroyed remains of the Newtrogic High Zone.

It would be nice to see more Eggman base ruins in the actual games instead of just in the comics or Sonic Channel Stories

I agree with this! Ruined Wing Fortress could be fun. I know IDW did similar with Scrapnik Island but an on game reference would be cool