Awoo.

Most evil/least evil version of Dr. Eggman/Robotnik?

captobvious42

This is something I've wondered about the long time. With so many different versions of Eggman/Robotnik, there are some that are just the most evil bastards in existence while there are a few that are more just the ornery neighbor who's secretly a decent person. I'm nowhere near an expert on the different versions of the character, though I pick up some things here or there mostly from TV Tropes which I spent WAAAAY too much time on.

Please note I threw in italic sections for thing that I view as mostly conjectural and likely way off on. 

Generally, the most evil seems to be the comic Eggmans, many Archie and IDW. They always feel like they're cold and unfeeling, even when they have "allies." Its been a very long time since I read the Archie comics, but things like celebrating as the world burned rebooted shortly after Sally was gunned down comes to mind. As for IDW, his demonstrations of the metal virus as well as his smackdown of Starline I think are good examples (though Starline DID deserve it.)

I can't really place Sonic the Comic Robotnik; I haven't read a lot of it. I think he's probably similar to the previous comic Eggmen, but how bad I'm not sure.

I think SatAM Robotnik is up there as well. Its been awhile since I've watched it, but I remember him being a very dark, unsympathetic character. The "What color is my heart" scene probably describes his character well. He got a (tiny) bit goofier in Season 2, but that was executive meddling more than anything. I think Sonic Underground Robotnik is similar, though the backstory in the first episode makes him come off more corrupt ruler than mind-controlling dictator, so... SatAM lite? (To be fair, I don't think I watched that much Underground.)

I only saw a few episodes of AoStH, but he generally came off like Elmer Fudd to Sonic's Bugs Bunny. He did do SOME bad things like keep a High School rival prisoner for a long time, but it seemed he was rarely a REAL threat to at least Sonic and Tails.

OVA Eggman seems to be similar to AoStH Robotnik: goofy and not really taken seriously. If I remember correctly, however, he did ALMOST kill Sonic at least a couple of time, once in that Eggman mech (forgot the name) and the other with Hyper Metal Sonic. Not to mention harassing a teenager with the intentions to repopulate the planet after destroying the "light" side, so he's got the creep factor going for him at least...

Sonic X I think could be a wierd one. Again, haven't seen much of the anime or read much of the comic. I got the feeling that anime Eggman was like darker AoStH Robotnik with actually being a threat but was still not taken THAT seriously. Comic Eggman, however, seemed to on much better terms with Sonic and company. Granted, this is more from things I've read ABOUT them than actual reading/watching, so I'm probably way off.

Sonic Boom Eggman... I've watched maybe three or four episodes. I thought it was decent but never got around to watching it properly. The feeling I got was also similar to AoStH Robotnik. Can't say I have enough info to back it up.

Sonic Prime's Chaos Counsel I think are a borderline case. They're NOT nice by any means as they rule with New Yoke with fear, but they don't feel as evil as the comic Eggman or even SatAM Robotnik. It probably doesn't help they might be more like five different aspects of Eggman than Eggman himself.

(Paramount) Movie Robotnik I'd like to think is on the higher side but he lacks the power the other Robotnik's have. The ambition's clearly there, especially after he gets his hands on the Master Emerald. He tends to be more of a troll/bully who only cares about himself and his creations, though potentially having a softer spot for Agent Stone... though Stone's not exactly nice by any means either.

As for Main/Game Eggman... I don't know. His characterization is all over the place at times. On moment he can be trying to present himself as trying to be a good guy while enslaving a race of space squid, while another he creates a soldier who help him brutally conquer the world. He sometimes will seem like he only cares for himself, while another he develops a soft spot for his "daughter." I know game and IDW Eggman are supposed to be one in the same, bit I just can't picture IDW Eggman having anything but contempt for someone like Sage.

I guess, from most to least, the list might go like this:

- Archie/IDW
Sonic the Comic
- SatAM
Underground
Sonic Prime
- (Paramount) Movie
- Game
- OVA
- Anime!Sonic X
- AoStH
Sonic Boom
Comic!Sonic X

I know I'm missing a few, but I think I covered most of them. As I said, I'm no expert, so I'm likely way off on a few. Of course, this is subjective as well, so some of you probably feel different. If you want to go into detail why I'm wrong or right, go for it; the more info, the better.

Frontiers Egg man is definitely the least evil because he's basically turning good at this point after being s father. Most evil imo is either Sonic Unleashed, or 06.

Archie Comics eggman was pretty diabolical and sadistic at times.

7 hours ago, castell-neath said:

Where do we rank Beatles Eggman? Above or below the Walrus??

Considering the Walrus was Paul, probably below.

1 hour ago, SadVlad said:

Frontiers Egg man is definitely the least evil because he's basically turning good at this point after being s father. Most evil imo is either Sonic Unleashed, or 06.

Archie Comics eggman was pretty diabolical and sadistic at times.

It's tough to say. Originally, it seemed like Sage was an unambiguously good character once her character development kicked into overdrive. However, the final DLC had her basically stated she sided with her father in the whole "world conquest" thing. I think she softened him a little but not enough to make him overly heroic. Besides, this isn't the first time we got the impression Eggman was going good before he returned to being the villain, though the scene I'm thinking of (the SA2 ending) did have a bit of unused dialog saying he wasn't planning on becoming heroic.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, captobvious42 said:

Considering the Walrus was Paul, probably below.

It's tough to say. Originally, it seemed like Sage was an unambiguously good character once her character development kicked into overdrive. However, the final DLC had her basically stated she sided with her father in the whole "world conquest" thing. I think she softened him a little but not enough to make him overly heroic. Besides, this isn't the first time we got the impression Eggman was going good before he returned to being the villain, though the scene I'm thinking of (the SA2 ending) did have a bit of unused dialog saying he wasn't planning on becoming heroic.

I was under the impression that now he is getting old and wants to settle down so his ambitions for conquest are dulled. But when Sage said she was siding with her father because the world was his to rule was funny to me when sonic responded with "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it".

Adventures of Sonic Robotnik had his truly terrible moments but he was most of the time just that one billionaire technocrat you love to clown on.

You know the clown. They can go by any name but either way they're all spending at least a Billion Mobiums to make everyone's lives worse just because they're selfish pricks.

22 hours ago, SadVlad said:

I was under the impression that now he is getting old and wants to settle down so his ambitions for conquest are dulled. But when Sage said she was siding with her father because the world was his to rule was funny to me when sonic responded with "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it".

I doubt he'll ever try to not conquer the world, mostly because the idea of Sonic NOT having Eggman as the main villain would be Mario not having Bowser. Who are they going to replace him with, Dr. Ian Droid?

Game!Eggman's characterization tends to be all over the place, though it could be inconsistent writing or even trends of the day. Admittedly, you could apply that to the early Archie and maybe Fleetway Robotniks. I think he does have some sympathetic qualities in Gerald, Maria, and even Sage, not to mention that I think he might contribute technologically to the world (Robotnik Corp. is listed as a corporation in Sonic Riders that produced a number of the Extreme Gears that even Team Sonic use, so wouldn't be surprised is that's not the only thing he's produced,) though that could just be a front... or another, unnamed Robotnik's running that company.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a good point. Robotnik is to Sonic like Bowser to Mario. But even if Eggman from the modern universe was to temporarily retire, the Eggman from the classic timeline is still very much evil. But even if that ended up being the case, I'm sure something would end up ultimately happening to Sage that would cause Eggman to go back to his evil ways.