Awoo.

Ashura the Glitch: What would a Metroidvania be like with Sonic gameplay?

John43

Hello, I have been a Metroid fan for a long time, and I have been developing a fan game for 3 years, and since I started getting better at it, I started to think more and more about what a Metroidvania with Sonic Gameplay would be like.

After a heavy period of both developing my other project, and speedrunning Metroid Dread, I decided to finally put together a little proof of concept prototype using the Open Surge Engine.

The project uses the fan character, Ashura. He's a famous glitch in from the original Sonic 2. This goes back to my roots, as I made a couple of ROM hacks when I was a kid starring the character (on the ancient version of these forums! I wonder if anybody still has those old ROMs, I doubt it...). 

I welcome any and all feedback and I want this project to become a full playable game with original art.

This thread will be like a dev log of sorts.

Try the prototype here:
https://gamejolt.com/games/ashuratheglitch/878763
Announcement Trailer:

Screenshots:

s009.png.ca060239ad53128a9d478730d4b4c364.pngs010.png.60b8927c6ab0187924fdd1ac276dd1f1.pngs011.png.7b6f8ba2f6350f90ed6f2bbbabd91a50.pngs013.png.27a5c6ef30ddbaceecfe4db0407ca27f.pngs014.png.04628db89574c4ceeaae4ea692bd74c9.pngs016.png.eeab0127041eb31c2453ed3c60d309b6.png

s012.png

Edited by John43
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a subject I've wondered about, too.  I wish you luck in your endeavours.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way I see it, there are 3 ways I could do a Sonic-Vania in terms of map progression. And I have thought deeply about them.

Method 1:

Structure the game like a tradional Sonic game with Zones that act as seperate levels. Let's say, there's 6 mini Metroidvania zones to clear one at a time with a score tally at the end. This method won't let you revisit past levels until the game is complete with a level select. I would consider this a lite Metroidvania, and would feel more like Sonic CD.

Method 2:

Something like Sonic Advance 3. One large hub overworld, containing Ring Portals to Individual traditional Sonic obstacle courses that will reward a new ability at the end, that can be accessed in a non linear order. So like a 2D version of Super Mario 64's Castle.

Method 3:

One large interconnected world with no loading screens, the ability to backtrack completely throughout the entire world, aka, more Metroidvania than Sonic. This is the method I'm leaning towards. I want to push the Open Surge Engine to it's limits. I'll leave the other methods to other developers who might wanna make something similar

But what do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know LakeFepard tried doing a Metroivania (well, "Metronic") style game with Sonic Chrono Adventure. I think its more in-line with Method 3. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8cQlVLo3uEM?si=k2rX31YunIbvz9Ye <- Feeling dumb about not knowing how to embed a video 😅

I kinda like method 1, though I think being able to backtrack to previous zones would be a plus.

Edited by captobvious42

• 1 month later...

Progress Report in video description. I have come to approach the design of this game as a mixture of all 3 of the previously mentioned ideas. The first area is complete in terms of item progression and level design. I have decided to structure the game as an open world(ish) where there is some freedom, but the experience is still guided between 4 or 5 main areas in a Metroid Prime 2 kinda way. You'll backtrack through old areas with new abilities and find new things. I will be adding Sonic Advance 3 style portals to separate traditional stages that will reward an ability at the end, but probably not too many of those (maybe like 3, as a way of saving memory for the open world).