Awoo.

What plot twists that happened in the Sonic franchise really surprised you?

Rabbitearsblog

So, it rarely happens that there are plot twists that happens in any of the stories from the Sonic franchise, but what were some plot twists that happened in the franchise that surprised you the most?  They can be from any part of the franchise, like the games, the movies, the comics and the cartoons.

One of the plot twists that took me by surprise was in Archie Sonic when it was revealed that Espio was kind of working for the Iron Queen in the Iron Dominion arc, although he was forced into it.

Spoiler

Good Plot Twist:

I didn't expect Dr.Starline's "death" in the IDW comics. He was a fan favorite just like Tangle, Whisper, Surge, etc and I really liked him as well. A huge fanboy being disilusioned and destroyed by his biggest hero was a great concept for a character.

However, I don't think he will stay permanently dead. Personally, I kinda expect to see him resurrected when it's convenient for the writers.

Bad Plot Twist:

Infinite not being the last boss of Sonic Forces. The way he "vanishes" in the last hours of the story is pretty pathetic, specially after Sega hyped the character so much before the game's release.

Edited by Cayenne

Yeah, that's a tough one. Being a Sonic fan for as long as I have, it always feels like you know the ins and outs of everything.

I guess back when Heroes released, I was kind of surprised that Neo Metal was just an upgraded Metal Sonic. All the mystery surrounding him from his shadowy appearance in the game's opening to his description in the manual just being "???." It all made it seem like he was a new character. 

(Though in a sense you could say it was TOO obvious, so my mind tricked me into thinking it wasn't lol)

Merlina stabbing you in the back.

The awesome thing about it is that the whole thing was foreshadowed in the previous game, when her Genie doppelganger did the exact same thing, And I still never saw it coming. The whole thing was a great character study for Sonic and made for a very enjoyable story for the second half of the game.

Mephiles killing Sonic in 06.

Until then I never thought about Sega straight up killing Sonic. I was kind of obvious that he would come back somehow, but it was not expected at all.

Edited by FReaK

5 hours ago, Cayenne said:

I didn't expect Dr.Starline's "death" in the IDW comics. He was a fan favorite just like Tangle, Whisper, Surge, etc and I really liked him as well. A huge fanboy being disilusioned and destroyed by his biggest hero was a great concept for a character.

However, I don't think he will stay permanently dead. Personally, I kinda expect to see him resurrected when it's convenient for the writers.

I have a theory that when and if Starline gets brought back (I know Ian Flynn says 'dead is dead' but that isn't always the case *coughcoughLien-DacoughcoughChunkySalsaRule*), we'll find out that he injected himself with whatever biotech he used on Surge to make her heal really quickly and that's how he survived. However, I wouldn't fault him for quietly disappearing after the complete and utter humiliation he suffered at Eggman's hands. Even if he is alive, that doesn't mean he's keen on showing his face anytime soon, and I don't blame him.

Also there's the fact that if he returns, Surge will kill him on sight... to be fair, he deserves anything and everything she would do to him and that's saying something.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lorekitten said:

I have a theory that when and if Starline gets brought back (I know Ian Flynn says 'dead is dead' but that isn't always the case *coughcoughLien-DacoughcoughChunkySalsaRule*), we'll find out that he injected himself with whatever biotech he used on Surge to make her heal really quickly and that's how he survived. However, I wouldn't fault him for quietly disappearing after the complete and utter humiliation he suffered at Eggman's hands. Even if he is alive, that doesn't mean he's keen on showing his face anytime soon, and I don't blame him.

Also there's the fact that if he returns, Surge will kill him on sight... to be fair, he deserves anything and everything she would do to him and that's saying something.

If Starline returns, I think he wouldn't come back without an ace up his sleeve. Knowing how smart his character is (well, most of the time...), I imagine him forming a brand new empire from the ground up, testing new ideas and even forming alliances with old and new baddies. His theoretical vendetta against Eggman would transform him into a much bigger threat imo.

If Starline stays deader than dead, I would like to see more interactions between his "ghost" and Surge. Surge and Kit have a very interesting past and he would be a cool device to learn more about not only that but also Surge's insecurites and how Kit will react to help her during these moments. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

If Starline returns, I think he wouldn't come back without an ace up his sleeve. Knowing how smart his character is (well, most of the time...), I imagine him forming a brand new empire from the ground up, testing new ideas and even forming alliances with old and new baddies. His theoretical vendetta against Eggman would transform him into a much bigger threat imo.

If Starline stays deader than dead, I would like to see more interactions between his "ghost" and Surge. Surge and Kit have a very interesting past and he would be a cool device to learn more about not only that but also Surge's insecurites and how Kit will react to help her during these moments. 

Fair enough; he wouldn't dare show his face until he knew he could go up against the man who ruined him. (And all the heavily disgruntled ex-lackeys he's had over his run; he does have a way of making his allies want to kill him.)

And yeah, I'd like to see more of Not-Starline living rent-free in Surge's head.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, FReaK said:

Mephiles killing Sonic in 06.

Until then I never thought about Sega straight up killing Sonic. I was kind of obvious that he would come back somehow, but it was not expected at all.

Oh yeah!  That moment actually shocked me when I first saw it.  I never thought that SEGA would go through with killing Sonic himself in that game!

• Thumbs Up 1

The ending of Antoine fighting Metal Sonic. Not gonna lie, that was probably one of the most hardcore moments in the entire Sonic franchise for me, especially given that Antoine's been my favorite character since forever and he didn't deserve that fate.