Awoo.

What are your favorite Sonic Team games that AREN'T part of the Sonic franchise?

LegoNess

Like it says in the title, I wanna know your favorite non-Sonic games from them! Personally, I'm a big fan of the Puyo Puyo games they've developed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Their only non-Sonic game I've played is NiGHTS, but I did really enjoy it. ChuChu Rocket, Samba De Amigo and Space Channel 5 aren't really my kind of games, though I could see myself liking Rez. The trippy visuals and music are appealing to me.

We've speculated about covering Billy Hatcher on DDZ before, but never pulled the trigger on that since we've had enough dodgy 3D platformers to talk about recently as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Phantasy Star Online I discovered this series when I saw a Sonic Runners collab event with PSO2 and got into the JP servers with a few friends and I enjoyed it. This made me try PSO1 on the fan servers and I really enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I know it's by Atlus, but Atlus is owned by Sega, the Persona series. I haven't played P3R but I really loved seeing this walk-through of P5, I found it an entertaining game, even if I wasn't actually playing it.

NiGHTS into Dreams! I never played the game, but I know that it's amazing and I like NiGHTS as a character!

• Thumbs Up 1

NIGHTS of course (the both games)!!...
SAMBA de AMIGO is fun (though I never played the second episode), BURNING RANGERS was very good, PSO too (but I really prefer the old real RPG of the licence, especially PS4 on Megadrive)!!...
CHU CHU ROCKET is fun too and I'd love to play CHU CHU ROCKET UNIVERSE by HARDlight!!...
Then there's BILLY HATCHER AND THE GIANT EGG : In the beginning, I was very disappointed because of Billy not being a chicken (I'm so in love with Sonic and friends's designs by Yuji Uekawa that I wanted Billy to be a chicken in the Sonic style) but I bought it a few years later and it is such a good game with an original universe and gameplay and high quality musics as usual with Sonic Team, a game with a strong personality!!...

It would have been even better in cell shading like KLONOA 2 I think!!...

I never played PROJECT RUB and I'm not interested by it!!...

And of course, if RISTAR is considered a Sonic Team game, maybe I like it even more than the NIGHTS series!!...

(I realize I've never played a PUYO PUYO game but I know the concept via MEAN BEAN MACHINE : it's fun but not my favourite game...)

Edited by Vlad the Vampire
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Billy Hatcher was a solid favourite of mine on Gamecube. It certainly has a charming if janky level of unpolished gameplay that crossed 3D Mario platformers with Super Monkey Ball, but I still adored it all the same. The cutesy artstyle and music probably helped steer me through the rougher edges. 

Project Rub / Feel the Magic XY/XX and the follow-up The Rub Rabbits were also really quirky and stylish favourites. These “WarioWare” style minigames used the DS really… “creatively” let’s say. I used to bring this into college and play it on free periods to wind my mates up. 

I would have put Ristar up there as well, but I didn’t realise this was continually mislabelled as a Sonic Team game. That’s new information to me. 

Edited by Sonicka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Phantasy Star Online. Been meaning to try replaying the game at some point. Don't think I got nearly as invested as my cousin did though.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed... assuming it counts. I streamed it for awhile. Its fun but I feel the difficulty is maybe a bit much

I've been meaning to give NiGHTS another go and I'd like to try to properly play Billy Hatcher.

I love Puyo Puyo tetris!

Sonic Team or SEGA in general? Because I thought that Sonic team was a department in SEGA that specifically made Sonic games. But the two that easily stand out to me are Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1&2(this is actually one game), and my second pick is the safe answer which is Knights into Dreams.

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is the best puzzle game ever made, for my money. It has basically everything you could ever want from one, including good online play, lobbies, a solid competitive scene, and a ton of modes to keep you occupied. The only thing I don't really like about it is that Fusion Mode still blows chunks, but everything else is real fun and engaging.

Outside of that, Nights into Dreams is probably their best game. But personally, I like Burning Rangers more.

My favorite seasonal and go to comfort game. I just love the costume changes in the HD version and I love seeing Reala playable on April 1st.

Winter NiGHTS Feb 29 2024.png

NiGHTS bowing.png