Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Spring Broken! - Prerelease Discussion Topic

Sonictrainer

We're getting another Seasonal Issue

Sonic IDW: Spring Broken Covers

GKPRT-0WEAASjxB?format=jpg&name=largeGEQJn90WoAAyMYr?format=jpg&name=mediumGEQJwi4X0AADbpN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Cover A by Adam Bryce Thomas
  • Cover B by Abigail Starling
  • Cover Retail Incentive by Abby Bulmer

Sonic IDW: Spring Broken Solicitation

Spring has sprung!

The flowers are in bloom, and so is trouble!

When Sonic, Tails, and friends try to take some downtime, they run into a mystery that's spring broken!

A seasonal whodunit in the Sonic style!

• Expected Release Date: April 2024

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

A whodunnit?

My money is on Fang. He seems to be in fashion at the mo.

Outside chance...Professor Pickle

Edited by castell-neath

I really wish IDW would focus their limited resources on the main book instead of pumping out more of these “specials”.

• Thumbs Up 3

Cover here (kinda)

Bleeding-Cool-Exclusive-Solicits-24.jpg

54 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I really wish IDW would focus their limited resources on the main book instead of pumping out more of these “specials”.

hahaha, no

Low stakes, no continuity chill story with a writer you haven't heard about and you will like it

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 2

These specials have been so much better than the main comic. They are more slice of life but not feeling like lazy fluff like the Misadventures arc or focusing on Restoration drama.

Guess we need a fall special this year so that every season is covered. Then we might as well tackle every other holiday. Can't wait for the Sonic the Hedgehog Bastille Day special.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog
  • Chuckle 2

28 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Then we might as well tackle every other holiday.

If we do that, then a Valentine's Special would be inevitable.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Criminy, the shippers would go nuts.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If they do that, we need more of Vector! Last time we saw him...😏

Stories like this almost come off as if they’re running out of ideas.

The premise doesn’t sound that entertaining.

8 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I'd be okay with more specials as long as they are the same quality as Winter Jam. They seem to have been a mixed bag so far, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I don't mind the specials in concept. It's more Sonic content that are also standalone stories that allow the spotlight to more characters, and can serve as an additional entry point for new writers than just the annuals. And I don't know about you guys, but I feel that IDW Sonic needs new blood in terms of writers.

But the past specials have indeed been mixed bags. Winter Jam was great, but Endless Summer was meh, and Halloween was honestly kind of bad. I'm hoping that Spring Broken will end up turning out good. At the very least, I can enjoy Cream being present in this story (provided she's written good).

On the note of Cream, considering both she and Tails are involved and this is apparently a "mystery story", we better get those two dressing up in their detective outfits!

Spoiler

Portrait_tails_upset.png.3a71ae4b5662c729fc7d7abfdab10fc4.png2023-scal23-creambig.webp.fffeb4720416695af0bd7ec0afc16891.thumb.webp.455f0a5281ce0b4c509596fcbe040636.webp

It's too good of an opportunity!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 3
  • Fist Bump 2

11 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

On the note of Cream, considering both she and Tails are involved and this is apparently a "mystery story", we better get those two dressing up in their detective outfits!

Hide contents

Portrait_tails_upset.png.3a71ae4b5662c729fc7d7abfdab10fc4.png2023-scal23-creambig.webp.fffeb4720416695af0bd7ec0afc16891.thumb.webp.455f0a5281ce0b4c509596fcbe040636.webp

It's too good of an opportunity!

I really need to see this! Those three are so adorable in their suits!

• Fist Bump 2

Finally updated the first post with some Covers

GEPA49mawAATdFc?format=jpg&name=large

Abigail Starling: Hey hey, long time no see!! 🥹💙

Here's the logo-less version of the B cover for Sonic the Hedgehog: Spring Broken, releasing in April! 🌸 

I didn't think I could be more excited for my return to Sonic, but then I found out my partner in Aggretsuko maid café shenanigans @losthiskeysman wrote the story!! Please give him a warm welcome to Sonic, y'all! 

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Nice Smile 3

Here's a fun thought: if you were in charge (or just IDW writers) what would you make this special about?

Obviously, it must be a standalone story with some spring-setting, but otherwise sky's the limit. So what would you write (or pitch)?

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Here's a fun thought: if you were in charge (or just IDW writers) what would you make this special about?

Obviously, it must be a standalone story with some spring-setting, but otherwise sky's the limit. So what would you write (or pitch)?

Eggman takes the remains of the Interstellar Amusement Park and attempts to take over Planet Wisp again, Sonic and Tails try to stop him from scavenging Planet Wisp. Eggman agrees to let the planet go if Tails can win a game of golf on his giant golf course with Metal Sonic and Sonic being used as the golf balls, while Tails and Eggman pilot giant mechs to hit them.

(Sorry trying to pitch something that would realistically get approved)

Edited by Slashy
  • Nice Smile 2

If I had to take a guess, these specials are stalling for time while the staff are coming up with new story arc ideas.

We're in a filler arc essentially.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If I had to take a guess, these specials are stalling for time while the staff are coming up with new story arc ideas.

We're in a filler arc essentially.

I think they are replacements for having minis which are a bigger risk and require resources

I do not think we will get another mini that is required reading for the main comic unless a miracle happens and sales drastically improve for the main comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, I refuse to believe Evan and Ian are that imagination bankrupt.

More likely stand-alone special sell better than ongoing books these days, because causal readers are more likely to pick them up.

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I would write a story about a citywide spring festival going on while Tangle, Whisper, and Lanolin are rushing around in a mix of Looney Tunes meets GTA as they try to stop Rough and Tumble from wrecking the festivities. Hilarity ensues.

Or a story about Sonic and friends heading to a water park where the people there are unaware of an active volcano that endangers them, and they're struggling to evacuate before it erupts.

I stole these two ideas from Arknights, but I dare you to say they wouldn't be better ideas than this one.

Hell, how about a battle royale where all the characters play with non-lethal Wisp-ons like a game of paintball? Last one standing wins. Fists, Hammers, and Chaos Powers are allowed as long as no lethal force is used. This one was just off the top of my head.

If you want something fun and as filler, there's a dozen better ways than the synopsis of this one we're actually getting. I'd actually take a game of Sonic characters playing dodgeball over this.

EDIT: And if these ideas actually end up getting stolen (which I wouldn't mind, because that's just means we'll get some actual entertainment), just know you heard it from me first.

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow
  • Thumbs Up 1

The A Cover, by Adam Bryce Thomas has been revealed

GKPRT-0WEAASjxB?format=jpg&name=large

This looks insane! Love the bright, busy design. Very apt for spring!

Vector looks terrified out of his life. The pictures are adorable! I can't wait!

Honestly, these seasonal stories are giving me bad flashbacks to when the Archie Sonic X comic pretty much did the same thing.

• The title was changed to Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Spring Broken! - Prerelease Discussion Topic