Awoo.

Ideas for a new Sonic show.

Maple Syrup

With the ending of Sonic Prime, which I think is pretty decent, had aspects that many of us liked or didn't like. So if SEGA decides to collaborated with some animation company, what problems should it fix regarding the problems Sonic Prime had. Would you make it like your favorite show? What kind of animation would it have? I would really like to see your thoughts on it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

The third batch of Prime episodes suffered from poor pacing; a lot of stuff could have been cut. Going forward things should be a bit tighter. Also 2D animation is a big ask from the community I feel. Something like the little Knuckles prologue that was released pre-frontiers. 

Also I don’t want Ashleigh Ball as Tails again. It was so off putting after hearing O’Shaughnessey for so long. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Tho I do enjoy 3D Sonic shows, there's no doubt they can be limited with environments & such. And I wouldn't mind another go at a 3D Modern Sonic show, 'cause Prime had some solid animation! Even compared to Boom!

But honestly, just the Frontiers Prologue animation, but as an entire series! With a wider roster of characters outside the main cast.

Sure, Prime brought Rouge, Big & Froggy back to a Sonic show for the first time since Sonic X. But I'm talking Silver, Blaze (characters who haven't gotten their chance in animation form yet), the entire Chaotix, some of the IDW crew like Tangle, and even Sage, cuz why not?

And I feel like that's what the Boom & Prime were missing that Sonic X benefited from. Sonic X brought in just about everyone from the games at the time (E-123 aside), while Boom had a stupidly long process just to get Vector in. So I feel that should be one of the top priorities, if/when a new show happens. Regardless of 2D or 3D animation.

Also some familiar music tracks from the games, just sayin'.

Voice cast: I'd say keep Shadow & Rouge's from Prime, but everyone else, keep the same from the games.

• Nice Smile 1

I feel like everyone just wants a show actually based on games with no gimmicks. To finally see Blaze and Silver in a cartoon. (And I would much prefer 2D animation).

Although here's my suggestion: Sonic anime, which is juuuust different from games to be clearly a separate continuity... and then give everyone closure. Story arcs with ending. Maybe even canonize ship or two.

Generally, I would like to try a somewhat serious ton, at least She-Ra reboot level. Alternatively: musicals. I want Sonic musicals. So. Badly.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Pacing: Leave enough breathing space for any ending (whether proper final ending or just arc ending) to leave people feeling satisfied without rushing anything.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 2

2D anime. Sonic OVA inspired. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Rouge, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Robotnik. 

Conducting raids in the land of darkness, foiling mining operations in the land of the sky. Discovering power rings, chaos emeralds, power stones, and other magic artifacts. Airplane racing. 

I've got a bigger write up in an older topic I could dig up but thems the brakes. 

Big write up from the older topic:

Spoiler

A potential first season would center around Cream as an audience surrogate, integrating her into the cast using the basic setup of Sonic Advance 2: She's separated from Vanilla and the season arc is the gang helping Cream locate her mother. Missing persons are a bit of common occurrence as Robotnik is doing the living batteries thing from the classic games just treated with similar gravity as Robotization from SatAM. The Chaotix position as a detective agency actually fits stupid well in this scenario, and I love the Chaotix so of course I've gotta incorporate them.  Again all of this is in the backdrop of the OVA setting, plenty of travel by plane, and venturing in and out of the land of darkness. 

Characters:

Sonic and Tails are as presented in the film they live in peculiar wreck on the coast of South Island, which actually has a well maintained interior. (must be a scheme to keep property value down, lol) 

Team Rose: Amy exists, and together with Tekno have been making a name for themselves as treasure hunters. Her crush is intact, but she's at the "doing things to impress Sonic" stage, and so might come off as downplayed. Treasure Hunting would be a major theme of the series, (so much so I'd probably title the series "Treasures", or ""Treasure R" or something along those lines), and when not focused on the central arc of the season I'd give way to misadventures searching ruins and caves for chaos emeralds, power rings, and the like. Once the season arc with Cream is established I'd introduce Amy with a lead on a treasure and asking Sonic for an assist, and yes my ideal team rose roster would be Amy, Tekno, and Cream, but with how I'm using Cream there's a bit of legwork to do there. If Amy were to encounter Sara they'd be chatty friends and maybe occasionally buck heads a bit over Sonic.

Rouge would initially be working under Robotnik, with the eventual intent to undermine him, as in SA2. She'd still be a secret government agent, but none of that would come to light this season, and I'd focus on playing up her villainy, and skill at subterfuge for now instead, and establish her as a rival treasure hunter to Knuckles. I'd probably have her use Tekno's history from StC as a former weapon engineer for Robotnik as blackmail, but haven't figured out how that all would play out, and it might be pushed aside for until Cream's arc is resolved. 

Edited by Cuz
  • Thumbs Up 1

A 2D Animé that's got characters in character, so no Idiot Sonic like Prime had him as. I'd like something similar to that Knuckles short but with the Sonic X like art style. Plus, I'd have it canon so that it can shake up the status quo, The characters reference the events in future games because my vision for the show would put the series forward with some actual consequences and none of this "safe" stuff, Sega likes to do.

If Tails says he's going to venture on his own, he won't be seen in the next game and the characters will reference things like that.

If a character is sent to the shadow realm, that's it.

This show can also explain things about the lore, like is there money? Are Rings energy from the Emeralds? Is the moon scuffed at one side? Bit like Sonic X.

20mins Episodes plz

Give us Silver and the Chaotix. In fact, a spin off show just in Silver's Timeline could be neat.

I'd also want some episodes where it's exactly like the games just going through levels.

Sorry for the wall of text

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

A 2D Animé that's got characters in character, so no Idiot Sonic like Prime had him as. I'd like something similar to that Knuckles short but with the Sonic X like art style. Plus, I'd have it canon so that it can shake up the status quo, The characters reference the events in future games because my vision for the show would put the series forward with some actual consequences and none of this "safe" stuff, Sega likes to do.

If Tails says he's going to venture on his own, he won't be seen in the next game and the characters will reference things like that.

If a character is sent to the shadow realm, that's it.

This show can also explain things about the lore, like is there money? Are Rings energy from the Emeralds? Is the moon scuffed at one side? Bit like Sonic X.

20mins Episodes plz

Give us Silver and the Chaotix. In fact, a spin off show just in Silver's Timeline could be neat.

I'd also want some episodes where it's exactly like the games just going through levels.

Sorry for the wall of text

I love the idea of a show thats say, 25 min long has 12/15 episodes per series and each one isset in each zone from the game. Base each seriea in the game stories.

Series 1 could do S1 and CD, Series 2 could do Chaos and S2, Series 3 S3&K,

Series 4 would be S4 Ep1 and 2 Obviously, with a few eps that would be the story from ep3 . Lol

Sonic Rejects.

A battle royale Sonic series where abandoned characters battle it out to be the last one standing, winner gets to be in the games.

Each battle is decided based on calls/texts to a premium number.

I would want a slice of life show with Sonic and friends (no single plot like Prime that was stretched out for too many episodes), with action, adventures and occasional story arcs that feel like they fit in the Sonic series (unlike with Boom), but also fun creative little stories, with a main cast of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Big and Rouge for the heroes, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot for the villain side, and most other game Sonic characters as guests, as well as new characters, especially new villains, which the series still needs.

22 minute episodes, no 11 minutes please. I'm not sure about the animation style because the format I chose doesn not fit anime. Seeing the success of Prime on Netflix, I could say a spinoff set in the main world using CGI models and gorgeous animation from Prime, but I'm kinda mixed on Man of Action's take on Sonic, so I'd rather have a new team working on that, probably.

I do feel like they need a slice of life show after what Prime did, the anime saga format is what the comics are doing, so I'd rather do something else.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would also go down the slice of life route. It would mainly focus on Sonic and Tails and their brotherly relationship, with the duo hanging out and having adventures together, with action sprinkled in for good measure (similar to AoSTH, but with a bit more focus on the main duo).

Amy, Knuckles, Cream and Big would make the most regular appearances, while the likes of Shadow, Rouge, Silver and Blaze would also make appearances throughout the show.

Episodes would be mostly standalone, though there would be some sort of arc throughout the show, which would come to a head in the finale.

21 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I would also go down the slice of life route. It would mainly focus on Sonic and Tails and their brotherly relationship

Wasn't Prime about Sonic/Tails relationship? Sure, not "real" Tails, but without it there is no conflict. Those two work together too well for drama.

Personally I would prefer opposite: Loud House-eque giant cast and craziness that comes with that. One episode will be about Amy and Cream baking cookies, in next Silver hires Chaotix to solve murder of Shadow that didn't happened yet because time travel.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wasn't Prime about Sonic/Tails relationship? Sure, not "real" Tails, but without it there is no conflict. Those two work together too well for drama.

I wasn't really going for drama between Sonic and Tails. We already have a big enough cast of characters for that!

Edited by MGA_Gamer

1 minute ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I wasn't really going for drama between Sonic and Tails. We already have a big enough cast of characters for that!

Then your pitch seems a bit directionless, but fine.

My second point stands. I seen Sonic and Tails many being bros. I want Rouge trying to steal Froggy who ate emerald. Knuckles boxing with Zavok. Charmy and Cream teaming up against Sage with childish twist to typical adventures.

You know what I want: a Sonic show based on the IDW comics. BUT it won't follow exactly like the series to the tee. Let me explain in a bit.

Comic book franchises that turned into shows: Spider-Man, X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc. did not follow exactly the same as their comic book stories formula. Hell, same thing with Marvel and DC movies. So, with IDW Sonic, we can have the current popular characters (Tangle, Whisper, Surge, Kit, etc.) with official VAs and stories in animated format. I would like to see the Metal Virus Arc animated because despite how long it was, it was very dramatic and thrilling. Plus, it can definitely help certain characterization (looking at Shadow) as the team may do some changes with HOPEFULLY Sega and Sonic Team approves for the general watching audiences.

For me personally, I'm okay with whatever Sonic show they come up with next.  Just give me good characterizations of the characters and awesome music and I'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any ideas for episodes of the show itself, but when I'm in the car, I actually think of an intro for a Sonic TV show.

Sonic runs through Station Square, dashing through the streets, posing as his quills brush in the wind, towns folk watching him in there windows. The scene transitions to Sonic beating up bad guys with his pals, Metal Sonic with Amy in Green Hills, Zavok with Tails in Chemical Plant and Fang with Knuckles in Sky Sanctuary. Then we see a clip of Super Sonic fighting an Eggman mech, I'm think of the Egg Dragoo, chasing him down as he fires missiles at the blue blur. Then we transition to Sonic fighting another three villains with his friends, Surge with Shadow in a city, Mimic with Silver in the resistance headquarters, I think it's called that, and Eggman Nega with Blaze in front of her placace from IDW. Then we cut back to Sonic running through the city as he sees smoke in the distance, where the Death Egg Robot lays waste to the city, Sonic dashes off towards the camera, as we transition to the Title card.

I think the show should be written by the writers for IDW, Ian Flynn, Evan Stanley and Daniel Barnes.

I think the tone should have some be like Unleashed, a bit serious but be able to sprinkle in some humour.

If I had to take inspiration from any shows, I'd take inspiration from shows that I liked as a kid. WARNING, TERRIBLE OPINIONS INCOMING. Like the Ultimate Spider-Man or Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, but without the problems those shows had.

I think the music could be some reused classics of the Sonic ost, and some new ones by Crush 40, and others.

But that's all I've really got, not much, but it's hopefully something.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

I had two ideas for a potential Sonic show.

The first was doing something similar to Batman: Brave and the Bold, featuring Sonic and a random grab bag of friends team up and go on adventures across the Sonic universe. The series would be light-hearted, campy and fun. The tone of the series was heavily based off Sonic Heroes, with cheesy dialogue, but tons of heart. I wanted the series to be a celebration of Sonic, of Sonic across all mediums. 

The other idea I had was doing a series that is an adaptation Sonic's adventures from Sonic 2, all the way to the most recent installment in the timeline, Sonic Frontiers. Being an adaptation, I wanted to both expand on plots from the games, while also removing and changing details to fix narrative problems with the original games. The show is heavily serialized, but I wanted there to be episodes you can watch by themselves and tales that are also more slice-of-life-ish, though also keeping true to the adventurous tone of the franchise. I especially wanted to use the show to introduce and reintroduce characters who have never been given the opportunity to be featured in a Sonic series, such as E-123 Omega, the Chaotix, Blaze, Silver and more. 

• 1 month later...

How about a more Satamish Sonic show with the "Freedom Fighters" that combines story elements with the Sega Sonic canon?

The reset era Archie Sonic comics proved that you can mix the game elements with the Satam elements so I don't think it's that crazy of an idea.

• Fist Bump 3