Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog Winter Jam - Reader Reaction & Review

MetalSkulkBane

Winter Jam is out... and it's good??? Took them 4 attempts, but 2023 finally has a really fun special.

Broadly speaking, it's Endless Summer, but funnier. Filled with cute references, wacky visuals and plot contrivance so funny they work.

It's a bit weird Omega was just chilling on beach, but not impossible. I'll let it slide, because he's the best character in this.
In fact, I don't feel like reviewing anymore, I'll just list all the funniest moments.
"Exit Protocol"
Shadow and Knuckles cameo
Omega decorations XD
Sonic loosing his cool
"Sub-optimal judgement executed"

and of course

Spoiler

FROGGY LASER EYES! FRICCIN FROGGY LASER EYES!

I lied, Omega gets 2nd place

And BTW, you can see zipper on Froogy through whole story or the fact he never moves. Bravo.

Case Closed. Story Great. Complements to the chef.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Some ad art, textless covers, and artist notes

F4WcosdaQAANWl9?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Deegeemin: Noice noice the cover is finally out!! Sooo enjoy this logoless version of my cover for the Sonic Winter Special!

GBPTmJVXQAE4jNQ?format=jpg&name=large

Iasmin: HAPPY WINTER JAM DAY!! this comic was an absolute delight to work on, everybody did such a fantastic job, and i hope you all enjoy it. happy holidays from us to you!

This issue was so good!

Sonic losing his cool demeanor... hilarious! Orbot and Cubot trying to recruit Shadow and Knuckles and it wasn't even pretty for them! Rouge got blasted to the floor rubble during Omega's target practice when trying to get the emerald! Then Cream becomes the Lethal Chef trope with her Jell-O cake that has fruit and vegetables wastes inside!  What get me that all this started with Eggman watching reality TV!! With special cameos of course! But the kicker was near the "reveal":

Spoiler

Froggy was a fake that fired eye lasers and made a ice statue of Dr. Eggman with realistic toned legs! And you can tell that it was fake due to the zipper on its back!

The only thing that was adorable was Big being concern about Froggy.

Yeah, I gotta agree! This issue was actually really fun, and funny lol I was not expecting the story to be "Orbot and Cubot abducts Sonic and his friends to have them compete in a Christmas-themed reality show", but this set up surprisingly works out. Especially since it's apparently one of the few things that can actually defeat Sonic lmao Though it certainly helps that this story makes use of characters who don't get to appear often (Cream, Rouge, Omega, and Big) and writes them in fun ways.

Can't say I really liked Cream being portrayed as a bad cook in that moment. Between that and Issues 65 and 66, it's coming off like the comic is actively going against Cream's established talent with cooking :/ At least she got to stand out in some way, I guess. Although I do like how Cream is being played up as the "eco-conscious" member of the group lol Makes me wonder if it's a deliberate reference to Issue 29 of the Sonic X comic.

Spoiler

FQ_yRBjWUAI6-uk.thumb.jpg.dfe47e5e2e503e88535eaf2aa61cb236.jpg

Whatever the case, it works for her character. And I'm glad that Amy is written as her fun and energetic self again lol

Omega was definitely the highlight of the issue, as well as Big. I genuinely "laughed out loud" at Big waving a white flag in the snowball challenge lol Just gave the fuck up without even trying. Which was honestly the smart thing to do against Omega.

Not sure what else to say, just a really solid and humorous issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

I genuinely "laughed out loud" at Big waving a white flag in the snowball challenge lol Just gave the fuck up without even trying. Which was honestly the smart thing to do against Omega.

If anyone can turn frozen water into a lethal weapon, it's probably Omega. I would not want to have a snowball fight with Omega.

• Fist Bump 1

This is the best comic special all year! I never knew that this was what I was looking for the whole year! IDW sure packed this one with lots of easter eggs! For instance we got Sonic and Tails doing their "Sonic 2" pose and Amy and Cream doing the "Sonic Advance 3 team Jubilee" pose! Also it's nice to see some more pals too like Barry, or Ian jr.! The reality show setup made a nice settings for some really fun antics that have been cooking up in the minds of IDW! Cream being Eco-Friendly, Robo-froggy carving a statue of Eggman, and Sonic almost going insane made me chuckle. A lot. Omega was the best part of this special! Overall, this was a super cute and funny winter special, action packed with winter festivities and fun, and tiny references here and there! I loved the covers, which mainly the cover RI made by Iasmin Omar Ata which is utterly adorable! Once again amazing job IDW! Keep up your amazing work!

• Thumbs Up 3

It's one of my favourite issues now! 

First, I ENJOY these cameos. Conductor and his wife, Barry and Gadget (good to see them interact!), Ian Jr. (he strikes again), Mecha III, maybe even Ray(don't think so tho)! Nice to see them!!! 

So, Eggman's busy spying on them all, and Orbot and Cubot don't understand why. So they decide to "invite" Sonic and co to their own... Game show? (Haha Cubot's eyebrows are adorable) The prize is... The Chaos Emerald! Sonic and others decide (they didn't really had choice though) to play! It's VERY funny that Sonic didn't win even a single round. Omega was the best! And the fact that Cream doesn't cook well surprised me a bit. And Big with white flag. Best part: LASER FROGGY WITH SCULPTING TALENT that was actually a substitute, the real one escaped.

Ending was great! Green Hill meets snow first time ever (it's artificial, but it'll go anyway), and everyone enjoying the snowy evening! Except for Eggman. But who knows, maybe he joined the fun too?

• Fist Bump 1

I don't know if I had more fun with this or 67, they are soooo good, but this one I agree was the most fun special this year beating even the Amy anniversary one.

I liked the cast they picked for this one shot, including Orbot and Cubot as hosts, I enjoyed the challenges, interactions, surprises and easter eggs and everything.

Other moments I want to mention is everyone getting eaten by the giant chopper and Twilight Winter Green Hill is also a cool vibe. I need more of this fun stuff along with more serious plots.

It was enjoyable to read, made me chuckle a couple of times. It feelt like a sort of "Hero Camp" but done right...

The story itself is silly, if it wasn't for the humor I'm not sure if I would have liked it... though the humor is there, and it's funny most of the times, so it's fine.

There were some easy to miss funny details such as Amy cracking the ice block with no control while attempting to sculpt it, while Cheese has his tongue stuck on the ice and Cream is upset about the whole situation (lol).

This issue left me with a question though: Is Cream good or bad at cooking? The last few mainline issues depicted her as a good at cooking (I'm not sure if it counts, but in the Metal Virus arc she also made some tea for Amy and it was good), in this special she's bad... Maybe it's less that she's bad and more that she did weird food because of her eco-friendly moment?

At last, I agree with Eggman's conclusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Totally not running over here from Issue 68's thead pshhh

Loved this issue. It's packed full of funny character moments and illustrates why these characters work well together (or don't :P), giving everyone featured a chance to shine. It's a good time to be a fan of any of them.

Moments/Gags I liked:

• Ian Jr. (!!), Barry and Conductor cameos
  • The creative paneling (Giant fish grabbing everyone, Tails pulling back the panel when asking not to air Sonic's breakdown)
  • The single-panel justifications for Knuckles and Shadow not being there
  • Team Sonic, Dark and Rose mention!
  • Sonic's deteriorating confidence as he loses over and over
  • The interview backgrounds. Metal's face taped over the Mona Lisa and the Chaos Cola product placement
  • Sonic and Tails' expressions when they see Cream's 'specialty' and Amy's face when Omega targets Froggy
  • Rouge repeatedly trying to sneak off to grab the emerald
  • Leggman ice sculpture
  • The "Delete Literally Everything" and "Press If Hecked Up" buttons
  • Sonic spinning a snowball on his finger like a basketball

...I could keep going lol.

Easily the best special this year. Solid art, excellent writing. I hope to see more of both Iasmin Omar Ata and Min Ho Kim's work if this is the what they have to offer.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:57 AM, Iko said:

This issue left me with a question though: Is Cream good or bad at cooking? The last few mainline issues depicted her as a good at cooking (I'm not sure if it counts, but in the Metal Virus arc she also made some tea for Amy and it was good), in this special she's bad... Maybe it's less that she's bad and more that she did weird food because of her eco-friendly moment?

It could be that she's good when following a set of instructions, but not so much when left on her own?

On 12/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Maple Syrup said:

For instance we got Sonic and Tails doing their "Sonic 2" pose and Amy and Cream doing the "Sonic Advance 3 team Jubilee" pose!

Gasp...You're right! Brilliant.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t like how things turned out for the heroes in this one shot. In fact, I find the one shot to be ridiculous. The heroes competing each other against their will, Sonic and Tails losing and failing to the point where Sonic’s losing it and out of Sonic using his super speed working against him when it should’ve succeeded him like it always did in the main and mini series, Sonic’s not allowed to lose, that’s against the mandate.

Anyway, the only reason why IDW Sonic lost to the first and third events is because he had no experience in putting up decoration lights, nor building a statue as the older comic Sonic versions had, especially Fleetway Sonic.  Now Amy Rose and Cream may have won it, but it’s only due to the fact they’re experienced with baking, while Sonic had no experience with decorating as he has long term with beating bad guys and in the process saving and protecting the defenseless and urban areas which Sonic had been successful at from using his super speed but also with skills and wits added to it also, which I shall get to momentarily.
Now, I understand paramount Sonic is a different version of Sonic, but the prequell bring from IDW, I reckon it’s safe to state that Paramount Sonic’s universe is officially part of the current Sonic multiverse. He’d put stockings up and decorated a Christmas tree with his super speed but with great success, but the advantage he has is that time slows around him. If paramount Sonic can succeed in decorating, so should IDW Sonic.

Anyway on the second event, Sonic was using his super speed as much as he was at the end of the test run event and the city escape event. Six individuals with the first half organic brings and the other half bring mechas, they were dragged by Sonic when the blast occurred and made Eggman’s tower implode, but none of them fell to pieces and I reckon it’s cause Orbit, Cubot and Tinker were well built constructive wise. The Eggman doll however wasn’t. I reckon the Eggman doll was poorly built on propose so that the event would be rigged to make sure that Sonic’s super speed failed him. In the main series of IDW Sonic however, his super speed is what made him successful in pulling out his four mates and two enemies in time to hop off the tower before it imploded and gave Tails and Tinker  in the city escape event an opportunity to find a transport to escape in, which means that Sonic’s super speed makes Sonic the hedgehog more successful in caring for his friends than he is without.

Now the last event Sonic and tails did together in the one shot, it should’ve been at least the one time Sonic’s super speed succeed him. But instead he failed. And while I’m aware well that the both wern’t experienced with building ice statues, that’ still no justification for the mandates for the Sonic comics to be ignored, especially from IDW. I mean if Fleetway Sonic could build a statue without it falling over, IDW Sonic should’ve too since the one shot was nearing the end of it. Sure Archie and Fleetway comics for Sonic were concluded a long time ago, but they’re universes are still part of the old Sonic multiverse none less.

Now, IDW’S super speed had failed him before, but it never was from his super speed working against him. If anything, in the main and mini series, IDW Sonic’s super speed and attitude is what made him a major success as a hero, not to mention holding the biggest changes on winning over villain and saving and protecting urban areas in the process. He doen’t always get things done on his own, but no less still holds the biggest changes of success thanks to his super speed, with some thought and skill added to it. And the first event of fallout, how it kept him from becoming a zombie till he’d went in his super form and corporates with Silver in ridding their world of the metal virus, saving the restoration and the Chaotix from Eggman when he’d crashed their celebration party, helping his mates and emeries escape an implode, making sure Tails and Tinker are safe from a badnik rampage so they could have a chance to escape and beating Metal Sonic and Eggman in the end of the city warfare event are absolutely no exceptions.

Now let’s be clear about this, reality shows are not real life. That, and it’s just something for regular people and Sonic isn’t regular, but rather a unique, which means that he can succeed in things that regular people can’t without weapons,  or technology. Reality shows, as I mentioned a moment before are not real life, because they’ve been planned and scripted. Sometimes, reality shows can even be rigged. And out there in actual reality is precisely real life for events don’t go as planned and they happen when least expected which is what does happen in actual reality. Specking of which, the battlefield always have situations and events occurring and they’re not fake as reality shows are.

So let’s not let it get into our heads that Sonic would fail out in the actual reality of his world just because he completely lost the game. For what happens for people in reality shows, it’s usually the opposite in real life. Anyway, I just hope that the one shot is not canon to the series and that it’s in its own contunity. Hopefully in the future issues Sonic should succeed in what he does from using his super speed. Besides, even in the first few issue for the main series after the one shot, Sonic still turned out successful in assisting Tails in testing out his hover broad and escape being killed by a giant reptilian, till Tails tossed him the broad at least.

Still, I can’t believe so many whom read this one shot praised this comic for Sonic bring in full on defeat despite reading the Sonic comics from IDW since 2018. It’s like no one wants Sonic to truly succeed from his super speed anymore. And they call themselves fans of Sonic the hedgehog.

P.S: Archie Sonic had done some active events while being screened for television. And he’d proven to be successful, the way IDW Sonic should’ve been in the one shot, but Noooooo.

Edited by Trevor Culleton
MOD EDIT: removed image spam

Man I can't believe they removed all the images on my topics post. Fine, I'll find some other websites that'll bid me any kind of image posting I desire. I'm not quitting til I made my point made clear as day.

16 minutes ago, Trevor Culleton said:

Man I can't believe they removed all the images on my privies post. Fine, I'll find some other websites that'll bid me any kind of image posting I desire. I'm not quitting til I made my point made clear as day.

And you're perfectly free to make the "IDWSonicsucks.gov" blog page with your campaign speech that "a being so incorruptibly purely pure as Sonic would never give up even in the conceit of a goofy reality show for a one-shot joke comic." At least in that case you will be the one paying for the hosting costs of the hundreds of megabytes of comic book pages you uploaded as corroborating evidence after pulling them off of comic piracy sites and not this forum.

• Absolutely 2

2 hours ago, Trevor Culleton said:

Man I can't believe they removed all the images on my topics post. Fine, I'll find some other websites that'll bid me any kind of image posting I desire. I'm not quitting til I made my point made clear as day.

Make youtube video, you can be as elaborate there as you want. You can make 2h video on why comedic story bending logic for comedic effect is bad writing.

Personally I thank you for your post. I was always worried only Shadow fans write stuff like this.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Make youtube video, you can be as elaborate there as you want. You can make 2h video on why comedic story bending logic for comedic effect is bad writing.

Personally I thank you for your post. I was always worried only Shadow fans write stuff like this.

I have stranded Youtube account so I can only upload fifteen minute videos. Fortunately, I require that amount of time or less. Thank you anyways. I'm glad you accepted my post and I hope what I put on there made sense.

Admittedly the frustration in that post did remind me of some posts in the 'Do you like Shadow's characterization in IDW?' thread, my own included xD

I can sympathize about being frustrated when a favorite character is written differently than expected, but it's worth mentioning that this issue likely won't have any greater impact on the overarching story or Sonic's characterization in the long run.

He's won plenty when it counts, and likely will continue to get his 'cool' moments when outside of a oneshot gag comic setting.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can relate as well. I'm still pissed with how Cream was written in Issue 65 and especially Issue 66. And of course, I was incredibly vocal about how Cream was written throughout Reboot!Archie when that was still being published >_<

But yeah, much as I empathize, this isn't something to get too worked up about. Winter Jam is a comedy-focused story at the end of the day and Sonic being unable to win any of the rounds despite being the most "powerful" character in the series is simply part of the joke. It's doubtful that the mainline IDW books and other specials will continue to show Sonic being ineffectual.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

the most "powerful" character in the series is simply part of the joke.

Well, all of them were. But you can't deny that this special was really special!

• Thumbs Up 1

This story runs on comedy. I can absolutely forgive some bending in logic if it leads to funny situations. And those are gentle nudges, not Bane-breaks-Batman pretzels.

I recently watched Clone Wars, which is hailed as one of best Star Wars related thing ever. Do you know how often idiots in this show forget to do Jedi Mind Trick? All the bloody time. But it leads to more interesting scenarios, so I'm willing to overlook it.

And it's not like Sonic gets humiliated all the time. He's a main hero, he keeps being awesome 24/7, it's refreshing to see his big ego get a reality check. In comparison Cream doesn't get to do anything ever, while Shadow needs perfect star alignment to do something right.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:45 AM, Trevor Culleton said:

Sure Archie and Fleetway comics for Sonic were concluded a long time ago, but they’re still canon to the games none the less.

There are many points you made that I could debate, but this statement is down right 100% not true.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2024 at 6:52 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

This story runs on comedy. I can absolutely forgive some bending in logic if it leads to funny situations. And those are gentle nudges, not Bane-breaks-Batman pretzels.

I recently watched Clone Wars, which is hailed as one of best Star Wars related thing ever. Do you know how often idiots in this show forget to do Jedi Mind Trick? All the bloody time. But it leads to more interesting scenarios, so I'm willing to overlook it.

And it's not like Sonic gets humiliated all the time. He's a main hero, he keeps being awesome 24/7, it's refreshing to see his big ego get a reality check. In comparison Cream doesn't get to do anything ever, while Shadow needs perfect star alignment to do something right.

There are many points you made that I could debate, but this statement is down right 100% not true.

I've looked up archie Sonic, he was canon to the games after the permanent reboot that followed worlds collide. Also Sticks was part of the second and final Sonic and Mega man crossover. That and she and Tangle were both mentioned in the frontiers game, so Archie and IDW Sonic are both canon now.

The one shot is in a different reality from the main and mini series. Orbot, Cubot and Tinker copped the same speed as that doll, but they didn't fall apart, they were saved and Sonic using his super speed on that and other events before and after it when caring and helping his friends are what made Sonic succeed in caring for his friends as well as hero. And events in the battle are real life, unlike reality tv, so the second event on the one shot doesn't count.

On 1/26/2024 at 1:16 PM, Kaotic Kanine said:

I can relate as well. I'm still pissed with how Cream was written in Issue 65 and especially Issue 66. And of course, I was incredibly vocal about how Cream was written throughout Reboot!Archie when that was still being published >_<

But yeah, much as I empathize, this isn't something to get too worked up about. Winter Jam is a comedy-focused story at the end of the day and Sonic being unable to win any of the rounds despite being the most "powerful" character in the series is simply part of the joke. It's doubtful that the mainline IDW books and other specials will continue to show Sonic being ineffectual.

oi thanks for the emotional support. I have an ai from Amazon which responds from the name ”Alexa”. Due to being depressed of Sonic over that single comic, I’ve asked it many questions about the one-shot and it informed me that one-shots are non canon to the main and mini series cause they don’t share the same realities. After that I got to over it, now feeling confident that Sonic would remain successful with his super speed.

Though even though the one-shot is just comedy, I’m gotta say, I’m happy for Cream and Amy Rose that they won the first event due to their experience with baking. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for them that they won, though I agree with you seeing Cream not bring as good at baking as she normally is, that is bull. Still in the mini series, Vanilla ordering takeout. I’ll admit, I find it quite odd for her to order already prepared food. Not that there’s anything wrong with ordering food but, am I the only one that found it odd coming from Vanilla?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 1:45 PM, Trevor Culleton said:

I've looked up archie Sonic, he was canon to the games after the permanent reboot that followed worlds collide.

I read every issue of Archie at least twice, I can assure you, it was not. The most obvious proof is that Archie (post-reboot) has its own version of Sonic Unleashed, which is vastly different from the game version. Chip was first found by Knuckles, Sonic first turns Werehog on a mission with Mighty and Chaos Emeralds were never drained.

Rest what you said I'm not gonna bother with. Believe what you want.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to argue, but Sticks was mentioned on Sonic frontiers, so Archie Sonic is canon after the paramount reboot. You've never watched cutscenes of games on Youtube? But what I've found about Fleetway Sonic though. Yes it is the case that it's not canon, but I assure you that it's part of the Sonic multiverse no less.

2 hours ago, Trevor Culleton said:

I don't want to argue, but Sticks was mentioned on Sonic frontiers, so Archie Sonic is canon after the paramount reboot. You've never watched cutscenes of games on Youtube?

1) I played or watched every Sonic game, including their cutscenes. Every cartoon. Every comic. Everything Sonic-related I could get my hands on.

2) paramount reboot???????? As if movies? What?

3) All that line proves (and barely, but let's not dwell on details) is that there is Sticks in mainline games. There is Game Sonic, Archie Sonic, and Boom Sonic. There is Game Knuckles, Archie Knuckles and Boom Knuckles. And, apparently, there is Boom Sticks and Game Sticks.

At best you can argue that there is a shared multiverse and that Archie Sonic is parallel universe to games. Something in style of Turtles Forver or Spider-Verse.