Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #67 - Reader Reaction & Review

Sonictrainer

Surge & Kit return

GAn39a7XcAAUtyx?format=jpg&name=large

ARQ: Tomorrow. Issue 67 of IDW Sonic releases with my second Sonic cover as the A Cover!!!!

Here's a clean version of the cover that I totally didn't forget to post a while back...

Hope you all enjoy the issue! It is a very fun one :>

GAn6Bp8W0AAVgyX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Also the thumbnails for the cover! 

I relished the chance to be able to draw Surge, she's got SO much attitude and such spiky teeth!

Also I didn't know what Duo looked like early on so he was just a text silhouette.

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

• The title was changed to Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #67 - Reader Reaction & Review

Alright, so here're my opinions about issue 67! (spoilers)

I originally thought Sonic and Amy will be very suspicious about Surge and Kit, but here we are, just chilling and talking. Well, it's not that easy. Earlier on Starline's base, Surge and Kit met Clutch, and he says that he knows something about their past. What do you think? They now work with him! Man, I was actually hoping they now went good. Am I too naive? Well, I gotta hope they'll find out that Sonic and friends are the ones who can give them freedom, it doesn't matter who you were before, everyone deserves second chances and all like that. I really hope...

It's really funny that most of Sonic's friends were once his enemies, as Blaze said. Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Surge now...

And they uncovered Duo is Mimic. Oh, and they're now in Diamond Cutters (uh-oh, it's now full of imposters). Whisper isn't gonna trust them, as well as many others. Well, it's a great comic, and I'm looking forward to Restoration burn... I mean, next stories!

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know what tittle of this story is, but it should be "There are 2 imposters among us"

First of all, we need more Shadow the Hedgehog! Sorry, force of habit, we need more actual shadows. This issue just feels flat. Is it me or it's happening more often recently? I could swear Archie never had problems like that... but Reboot definitely had rougher line-work.
IDK, I looked at previous works of artists, colorist and inker and they did better in the past. Crunch time?

Story is: Surge """"reforms"""" and everyone is super tensed about it.  First I'll go on a tangen about people trusting Surge. It came out kinda long, so feel free to skip it.

Spoiler

You know, I get why Sonic & friends go with it, but I wonder if "civilians" have any opinions on that. Personally I would leave organization that allows violent criminal to walk around if they can't gimme solid argument why they trust them. Granted, "Sonic vouched for them" would be good enough, but we know Sonic has reservation this time. On the other hand, how can you "prove" Surge in on the level? You could put bombs on her (Suicide Squad style) or make her do something heroic first, but let's be honest, that's either messed up or inefficient.

What I'm saying that there aren't any simple solution. Real world or Batman would suggest complex solution, but I'm fine with Sonic Universe using much simpler logic. I would prefer if someone gave it deeper thought than just "Meh, I fine with it" or "No, I'm not okay with it", at least one person considering pros and cons on deeper level, before letting them in... but maybe Sonic had to much talks about reformation and 2nd chances lately.

In conclusion: Sonic IDW must really stop doing the "do bad guys deserve 2nd chances" thing. People were sick of this topic before Surge even debuted.

Next, this issue highlight little problem with Imposters: they lack any direction beyond "hate originals". You can laugh all day at Scourge, at least he had ideas and plans. Surge is barely better than Kit, without boss she doesn't know what to do with herself. I suspect that if Sonic suddenly died and she might actually semi-reform because this place has food and beds, why the hell not?

Tour was fairly fun. Blaze complaining about Sonic making friends or Surge giving Whisper her wispon were the highlights. Surge actually plays her fake reformation fairly well. She's not laying it too thick nor is she blatant it's a ruse. And it's interesting that Kit, despite being a smart guy, is so bad at pretending. I suspect it's dependency on Surge, he just hates interacting with anyone else. That or he doesn't trust Clutch and this is a bad idea.

Because let's face it, Clutch is lying. He has no intel on Surge. Starline himself didn't knew/care who they are, Clutch won't know more. Makes me wonder what's his final plan. Surge and Kit are perfect distraction so people forget about Mimic accusations, but what's the next step?
Sudden attack and burning Restoration to the ground? This would fail spectacularly before Surge joined in. Now it makes more sense, but still feels a bit crass, don't you think?
Maybe ruining Restoration reputation? Cause chaos, seed mistrust, few betrayals and who will trust this group ever again? This makes more sense. Ironically biggest problem would be how Sonic can solve problem like that with punching. Because comic like this needs it's punching.

Also If epic climax of this arc will involve all who work under Clutch (Mimic, Skunks, Surge, maybe Jet), then suddenly we'll loose like 90% of villains on the loose. Even if they escape, IDW will have to kill some time before returning them.

38 minutes ago, ShadowForever said:

Man, I was actually hoping they now went good. Am I too naive? Well, I gotta hope they'll find out that Sonic and friends are the ones who can give them freedom, it doesn't matter who you were before, everyone deserves second chances and all like that. I really hope...

I'm willing to bet real money, 5:1 that Surge won't reform at least till issue #100.

There would be soooo many drawback to doing it.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Nice Smile 1

Also quick Recap of recent events:

Silvers said "Duo is sus", but didn't have strong proof. Lanolin insisted it's too early to vote people out.

In the end, Silver was kicked out for over-aggressive behavior. Duo was in Med Bay, but no one watched him.

Now Surge and Kit are suspected to be evil imposters, so Sonic and Amy will be following them.

Everyone is going back to doing their tasks and Duo will inevitably sabotage something.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Also quick Recap of recent events:

Silvers said "Duo is sus", but didn't have strong proof. Lanolin insisted it's too early to vote people out.

In the end, Silver was kicked out for over-aggressive behavior. Duo was in Med Bay, but no one watched him.

Now Surge and Kit are suspected to be evil imposters, so Sonic and Amy will be following them.

Everyone is going back to doing their tasks and Duo will inevitably sabotage something.

This entire situation is a powder keg waiting to explode. The question is, who's gonna light the fuse first?

EDIT: I'd use the phrase 'flock of wolves' to describe the situation, but Laolin and Whisper would not appreciate that.

Edited by Lorekitten

This arc reminds me of the mr. Match scenario in megaman battle network 3 for any megaman fans here that know.

I liked it. I agree with the criticisms that it's a bit obvious, but I dunno, I like Surge and Sonic and Amy and Silver, and I'm happy to see them again.

Also, Sonic and Amy are going on the closest thing to a date Sega will allow Ian to imply. Good for them.