Awoo.

What do you think about Sonic's personality in the Archie comics?

Guergy

I remember reading a comment somewhere along of lines of how arrogant Sonic seemed in SaTAM. To be fair, Sonic can get overconfident at times but he was usually portrayed as heroic and cared about his friends. The same poster also mentioned that (s)he(?) that they low hey hated how Sonic was portrayed in SaTAM and hoped that the comics were different. That post must be long gone now but Sonic's personality was mostly the same as the show. I do not believe his personality to be arrogant but I can see why he can come off as such.  Sonic can be really overconfident, snarky and smug but he does learn from his mistakes and is a kind person. What do you think of this? Do you think that commenter was right to be weary of Archie Sonic? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Archie Sonic definitely has an inflated ego, but he's nowhere near UK levels of mean (Sonic the Comic, methinks)

However, it should be noted that even videogame Sonic can be mean at times, and he doesn't consider himself a hero. Both are kind and willing to help others whenever it's needed, but that's the main difference between Archie Sonic and videogame Sonic: Humility.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's ego had gotten a bit bloated over the course of the series. It could also be that that he is just being cocky, given that he mostly pokes fun at his enemies I do see where that poster is coming from but they poster could be wrong about this. 

Dude nothing is as obnoxious as sonic the comic (fleetway) sonic. That variant is just grating.:phpbb_confused:

• Chuckle 2
  • Unamused 1

11 hours ago, Guergy said:

Sonic's ego had gotten a bit bloated over the course of the series. It could also be that that he is just being cocky, given that he mostly pokes fun at his enemies I do see where that poster is coming from but they poster could be wrong about this. 

Well, of course he's mocking his enemies, that's what he always does... it's actually a good strategy to make them lower their guard by rising their offensive, which Sonic generally excels at dodging...

Thing is, he sometimes mocks his friends as well, in some situations it can feel a bit egotistical or pretentious... it kinda looks like he sometimes believes what he says about being so incredible and unstoppable, because he is torn in grief when he's proven wrong, like that time he got defeated by the Egg Beater.

spacer.png

... And THAT was for Archie, it's absolutely warranted that Fleetway Sonic would take it even worse, because unlike Archie Sonic, Fleetway Sonic wouldn't be nearly as happy to receive help from his friends...

Edited by White_Ninjakoopa
URL doesn't work like in other forums, lol sorry
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think that Archie Sonic's personality was a bit more arrogant and cockier than how he was portrayed in other Sonic media.  However, he's nowhere near as bad as Fleetway Sonic, as Fleetway Sonic was portrayed as being much meaner and more arrogant than in any other Sonic media.  At least Archie Sonic had moments where he knows he did something wrong and tries to fix his mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Unamused 1

Fleetway/UK Sonic has specific flavor to him. Yes, he's a jerk, but with more comedic tone and lower stakes, I found it less... intrusive. And personally I feel a lot of it was an act. Like he wants to seen as cool guy so badly, he'll hide all other emotions than "easy going don't care attitude". Yes he called Tails "pixel brain" in like every issue, but no one seemed to take this personally (other than Knuckles).

Satam Sonic in comparison isn't as huge jerk, but his bullying of Antoine feel more intentional. Less "I must be smugly superior to show I'm cool", more "I generally think Antoine is a loser to be bullied". (And to be fair... if you watched cartoon, you know how Ant was. I knew exactly that type of people. I never bullied them, I pitied them, but god were they annoying regardless). His smugness was more in your face, but to be fair when he didn't interacted with Antoine, it was (mostly) charming. He was willing to show softer side to Tails and Satam Sonally had much more 'spark' than Archie version due to their ego fights. (Shaking Nicole that one time was mean though).

Archie Sonic wasn't as 'set in stone' like other two. Gag Era (1-20) was simple nice cool dude, with very acceptable amount of ego. But the more comic moved to melodrama, with Geoffrey, Knuckles, Khan and Ash, he became much more... aggressive. Testosterone driven. Prone to fights. I can understand both sides of discussion when it comes to Game, Fleetway, Satam, OVA etc. But pre-Flynn Sonic tended to be jerk a lot towards people who didn't bowed to his coolness (and that was before Shadow), bonus points if they hit on Sally. And obviously that wasn't all of his personality, but those are moment that stuck in my memory the most.

Flynn Archie Sonic was not identical to IDW, but very similar. Gave up most grudges, grow from experience, loosened up. It's certainly breath of fresh air, although some would say he's too perfect now. I generally prefer him over Satam, but again, his chemistry with Sally is much blander when he's so smart on his own. His main difference to IDW is willing to be part of offical team or bowing to a king.

My personal favorite Sonic is Adventures 1-2. Certainly capable of holding grudges (Shadow) and mistakes (any time Eggman got him), while still capable of more serious conversation (refusing to just seal Chaos, saying goodbye to Shadow) and unquestionably cool (What you see is what you get. Just a guy who loves adventure). Well rounded character, with just strengths to be inspiring, but flaws as well to be relatable (and leave something to do for his friends).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

17 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

At least Archie Sonic had moments where he knows he did something wrong and tries to fix his mistakes.

so you didn't actually read the comic you're disparaging, got it

4 minutes ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

The bottom panel of this page is a huge chunk of why I dislike Archie Comic's take on Sonic.

FjAl4v0UYAEVVmG.thumb.jpg.d327d34b56e8cee15378f2088b01894d.jpg

Oh yeah, I remembered that infamous story...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, Sonic. Defender of the status quo and the monarchical system. Widely known to have a disaste for protests and revolutions. I remember that dumb story arc.

Edited by Phoenix
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

On 11/19/2023 at 3:38 PM, Phoenix said:

Ah yes, Sonic. Defender of the status quo and the monarchical system. Widely known to have a disaste for protests and revolutions. I remember that dumb story arc.

Maybe Sonic was better off as a wandering hero?

On 11/19/2023 at 2:38 PM, Phoenix said:

A reminder that this so-called “defender of the status quo” straight up committed treason at least two or three times against that same monarchical system in a manner not to different to when he picked a fight with an entire military force in SA2. (And it’s a hilarious case of pot calling the kettle black on his end when he calls someone else out on it)

As stupid as House of Cards was, Sonic at least had a point when those protests and revolutions were occurring in the middle of a war against Dr. Eggman’s empire. Not really the best time to be doing that, you know?

But I’m not gonna defend House of Cards here. The only good thing it had going for it was setting up a legit fist fight between Sonic and Tails.

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

A reminder that this so-called “defender of the status quo” straight up committed treason at least two or three times against that same monarchical system in a manner not to different to when he picked a fight with an entire military force in SA2. (And it’s a hilarious case of pot calling the kettle black on his end when he calls someone else out on it)

As stupid as House of Cards was, Sonic at least had a point when those protests and revolutions were occurring in the middle of a war against Dr. Eggman’s empire. Not really the best time to be doing that, you know?

But I’m not gonna defend House of Cards here. The only good thing it had going for it was setting up a legit fist fight between Sonic and Tails.

Yeah, I just don't like stories where Sonic is justifying why locking up proteaters is good. Even if it's not a good idea to protest at a specific point, those words should never be coming out of Sonic's mouth. Like you said, the guy broke out of a military helicopter and tore through military forces. He didn't even know what they wanted, but fuck em, no one locks Sonic up.