Awoo.

What did you think of Fang's return in Sonic Superstars?

Ryannumber1gamer

So now that a few weeks have passed since Superstars release, and there's been a chance for the dust to settle, so to speak - I thought now would be a good time to discuss how Fang's overall return to the series ultimately panned out (Obviously, not counting the incoming mini-series as that's yet to release as of this topic). 

Fang's surprise appearance at the tail-end of the Superstars trailer was a pretty hype moment for most everyone, given that Fang has been a basically forgotten character in the franchise, especially when Team Hooligan was banned from appearing in IDW during the (frankly, idiotic) mandates that disallowed Classic characters in Modern, and vice versa. Since then, we've gotten the Fang's Big Break prequel comic, and finally, his villain role within Superstars itself.

Personally speaking, I do think Fang's in a odd spot, now that things have settled down. While I was really happy to see him back in action in Superstars, I think it's ultimately unfortunate that between the overall lack of story meaning Nack only really seems to antagonise Trip for a chunk of the story, until he vanishes. But I think it's pretty generally agreed upon that his two boss fights (Both the auto-scroller, and the boss of Trip's story) make for two of the worst bosses in the game. Between the overall length, the auto-scrolling nature of the former, and the cheap one-shots of the latter, it can't be said that Fang isn't a force to be reckoned with, but for all the wrong reasons.

I am personally glad that SEGA/Sonic Team are starting to finally allow these characters to return, and I really hope in the future, it might mean Bean and Bark can also reappear in the series, especially with Team Hooligan being such a strong presence in the Archie comics and what we briefly saw on the IDW run. But I do have to say as a fan of Fang as one of the alternative antagonists of the series, I do think it's a little lame that between the bad story and the really bad boss fights (IMO at least), the impact got reduced. It kind of reduced the fun of his reappearance when every time one of his boss fights start up, I want it to be over almost immediately, and especially since by the end of Lagoon Valley, he mostly disappears in Sonic's story afterwards, other than Golden Capital's fight. Good concept, but I'd wager the execution could've been better, personally, especially when the excellent 16-Bit Triple Trouble remake had a ton of great Fang fights.

But what do you think? Was Fang's return well-done? Do you hope he continues as a reoccurring bad guy for Sonic? Maybe even a appearance in a modern title? 

I haven't played Superstars yet, but I am glad that he's back. We need more rogues, and while I can see why they delayed Fang's reappearance, I don't really like the restrictions he had on him.

He'd better appear in a modern entry. Fuck this Classic/Modern restriction.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the Fang's Final Boss much more than Eggman's

Fighting against him and the upgraded Marvelous Queen and then taking on the giant mech teased at the end of Golden Capital Zone was awesome

Also, he has his own themes now.

I feel like Superstars gave Fang a much better "Welcome Back" than Sonic 4 Episode 2 did Metal Sonic.

Bearing in mind I'm speaking as somebody with no real experience of Fang in the games - I just knew him as Nack the Weasel back in Sonic the Comic.  Knew and respected him, though.

I think that overall he gets a pretty good showing in Superstars.  This is setting aside the actual quality of his boss fights, as that's not just an issue with him but a problem with much of the game - though personally I was fortunate to beat both of his Golden Capital encounters on the first try so those don't have quite such negative associations to me...  Fang puts in no shortage of actual appearances, so I'm happy with that, and while sometimes he's the butt of a joke he's just as often presented as a genuine threat, which strikes me as a good balance to achieve for what he is.  I think anyone playing Superstars without foreknowledge of Fang probably comes away with a pretty good understanding of who he is as a character, and what more can one ask for.  (Besides better-designed bosses, but again, that's a Superstars problem, not a Fang problem.)

I've just finished Sonic Superstars this week I enjoyed Fang In Sonic Superstars and making appearance again. It's been a while since Fang In Sonic The Fighters when I played that game a while ago and the last time I saw him.

I'm glad Fang got his time to shine and coming back as well and having his own IDW Sonic comic mini series next year In January which I am looking forward to.

My one big problem: what does Fang accomplish that Eggman couldn't do on his own?

Boss fights? He keeps using his bike, which is basically identical to Eggmobile. He even has  GIANT MECH robotnik-style.
Harassing Trip? Eggman could do that too, even in her own story.
Heck, those two are NEVER in the same room (marketing aside). Metal and Eggman at least teamed up in S4:ep2.

So yeah, I don't like he's working under Eggman when he could easily been 3rd faction. I don't like the focus on the bike. I don't like not utilizing any unique aspect of the character. All Sega accomplished was solidifying "Fang the Hunter" as his new official name. Hopefully.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just think it makes the world feel a little bit richer if Dr. Eggman isn't doing everything himself.  Simple as that.

(Also, Eggman, Fang, and Trip are all together in the first in-game anime cutscene, where Eggman hands Fang the dragon sketch.  There's some pretty economical storytelling going on in that cutscene.)

I'm happy that he's back, but I'm not really satisfied with how he's been utilized in the game.

The humor was almost completely removed from the character... that one time in the game when he falls into his own trap, it's because of Trip messing up, not even his own fault; he's pretty much serious and edgy the whole time across the game, while he's supposed to be boasty and funny.

I agree with @MetalSkulkBanethat he should have been a third faction and not work under Eggman.

Regardless, I hope he will stick around, especially in the modern continuity too, because:

On 11/2/2023 at 3:50 AM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Fuck this Classic/Modern restriction.

Great return for a great rival/villain, if you ask me. First time actually fighting Fang, but I had fun with it

I love his return. His bossfights didn't bother me as much but I agree that they could've been better or more balanced.

I love the nod that trip, quirk-wise is almost identical to his debut appearance in triple trouble (falling for their own traps, tripping) aside from her heel-face turn. You have to be a fan of that game to understand the little nods though.

Yeah, he is just like eggman in this game but he's still different enough that he was his own character, pretty much a lackey for hire that just wants to get paid and settle a score with team sonic and or trip.

Still wish we could've fought him Mano e Mano or hedgehog and jerboa.

I haven't played the game yet but I'm so excited to see him back and hope he continues to pop up, same as Mighty and Ray; it's way overdue.

I'll cut right to the point in answering the OP, I would simply say "mixed feelings"

Pros - He's back!! (Thats a big one in itself) He's an antagonist other than Eggman. And....errr..yeh. Thats it.

Cons- His boss fights are long, dull and at times just unfair and as the OP said, they could just as easilly be Eggman. He offers nothing new in this regard. His role in the story is unclear unless you read the prequel coimics (which 100% SHOULD be included in the digital deluxe version!!). He just seems to hover on the marvellous queen when I was expecting him to be a special stage foil as in Triple Trouble. 

Overall...a mixed bag. Nice to see him back...but could be used much better in the next game

Edited by castell-neath

I don't know why but I'm kind of mixed on how he's constantly mean to Trip, but Fang is cool and always a blast to see.

His boss fights can do one though.

Well I'm obviously going to be pretty biased being the Nack super fan, but I thought they handled it well. I don't know how anyone can say his first few fights were too long; I was grinning ear to ear in the Jungle fight and then again in Golden Capital, really love those scrolling type of fights that are chaotic and have urgency, plus it was cool to see him go through upgrades to the Marvelous Queen in the background. I could've done without the giant mech, as upgrades given to him by Eggman makes sense, but I wouldn't expect Eggman to be outshined by him though, so a giant Nack mech doesn't really make sense or fit into Nack's style I feel.

After the awesome Trio of Trouble animation, I was hoping to see that personality a bit more, the cocky yet resourceful and smug A-hole yet awesome, so I was thrown off by him not really contributing to the story more, and was kinda only potrayed as an A-hole; I thought for sure he'd turn up as the miniboss or even main boss for each level instead of Eggman getting himself personally involved seeing as he had a proper lackey this game, but really was only there in a few cutscenes then the last battles with Nack, which was a shame.

The story in general wasn't conveyed the best to us, like why exactly do animals grow big? What was the purpose of Nack nabbing them for Eggman besides putting into badniks like he always does anyway? Were they stronger? Bigger maybe? Was that why the first one was the Plesiosaur? At times it felt like Nack kind of existed only to have someone get angry at Trip being clumsy, as they didn't elaborate on the story all that much where there was def so much potential. (I'm still yet to beat Trip's final boss so I could have not got the whole picture yet I guess) A few more cutscenes or animations would've been great and added clarity. All we really got was Nack and Trip trying to capture Sonic, failing and then Nack's final fight then getting overpowered by a now goodguy Trip. Not sure if Trip's story canon or where it takes place compared to the main story, but Nack's inclusions could've been more, however I was giddy from the little we got of the lil bugger anyways.

Overall I think they used him well and I was always going to adore the game for bringing back my fav Sonic series character!
He looked and acted like what I'd expect, I even thought they'd turn him into a bit of a bumbling joke like having his weapons explode on him constantly and such, but they made him a formidable threat, I just hope casuals or people not so invested in him don't sour to his character due to the difficulty of his final fight - that'd suck.
I really hope they utilize him more, as the series needs some more recurring villainous characters to add variety to the games.

I guess with Superstars' insane difficulty spike, Fang has cemented his reputation as a piece of garbage and I love it (not the boss fights, just the image). I'm glad we've officially got him back in the rogues gallery. Bean and Bark next, please!

• Thumbs Up 1

He and other classic-exclusive characters come off as basic in comparison to modern era characters imo, and I don't get the sense we really get to know who Fang actually is as a person, but maybe his comic will make me like him more.

I haven't played Superstars yet, but I have read his comics.

He feels kind of like a weird inclusion, y'know? He just feels off. I don't know if it's the name change or not, but he feels kind of 'bland' and 'different' somehow. I don't know what it is. I just really don't care about him in Superstars. I think I would've preferred if he stayed in Triple Trouble and his other appearances. 

I think he maybe just feels less like an outlaw and more like a henchman for ol' Egghead.

Edited by Maria.Sosori
fixed spelling error

I've yet to play Sonic Superstars and I'm really looking forward to it, but, I thought it was awesome seeing Fang return to the series, much like how Mighty and Ray did in Sonic Mania Plus. I first knew Fang (the Sniper) in Sonic the Fighters along with Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear. I hope they could potentially make a proper return that aren't just illusions by the Heavy Magician.