Awoo.

[FAN GAME] SONIC LEGENDS - Community Project (DEMO)

ScarlyNight

afbeelding.thumb.png.f5e03c8c3d499f7edba2bf0ab5a881c1.png
Sonic Legends is an unofficial, non-profit fan project inspired by the 2D Sonic the Hedgehog series of games. Its main goal is to update and re-invent over 20 year of history within the Sonic fangaming scene. Every featured Zone has been re-imagined for a modern outing by redesigning them from the ground up in all aspects, adding flair and polish similar to 2017’s Sonic Mania.

Beginning development in late 2017, Sonic Legends has gone through many iterations. Starting out simple as a modification for Sonic Mania, it is currently developed as a fully-fledged project within Game Maker Studio 2.

We have recently released an Alpha Demo, which you can download here. The demo features Sonic playable in two acts of prequel fan game Sonic Overture's SUNRISE GATE ZONE, as an example of the work being put into respecting the original source material, as well as showcasing what our team is capable of in regards to expanding upon on the ideas and concepts of the zones represented in LEGENDS.

(Download link currently directs to our initial release thread on contemporary community Hedgehog Technical Institute, as its our only link currently while we're working on creating a proper launch page for the game.)

PLOT SYNOPSIS

Spoiler

The nefarious Dr. Eggman is at it again!

Just off the trickling coast at the edge of Sonic’s birthplace, Christmas Island, stands the glorious Sunrise Gate and the power source embedded deep in its majesty, Phossil - the doctor’s old go-to for his dastardly schemes. After emerging out of an unusually-looking Chaos Ring; traversing through treacherous and unusual locales. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy must collect the Chaos Emeralds and put a stop to Dr. Eggman once more!

The state of the Nexus Dimension is in your hands!

Go, Sonic! Everyone is counting on you!

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler

SUNRISE GATE ZONE - Sonic Overture

afbeelding.png.42d8ed972284618c699faf15b4d20c1d.png

afbeelding.png.87c9a92bdcaac17c3cacfa17b85f11dc.png

afbeelding.png.4d503be3cdcb814578d971342700a2c4.png

afbeelding.png.3312efc7b97a709cdc5d0711c1fb6cc1.png

VIDEOS

Spoiler

ENGLISH

SPANISH

ULTRA RING STAFF

Spoiler

Project Lead
ScarlyNight

Game Design
ScarlyNight
St. Nick
SAWhane

Visual Design
ScarlyNight
Beta Nexus
SAWhane
joshyflip
Emma

Character Design
joshyflip
Beta Nexus
Louplayer
Scarlett34
Saneko
Soap Surfin’
Vgf88
Mr. DJ
Pixy
Bendedede
Hortinus

Model Design
Ainand
Knola++

Level Design
ScarlyNight
KGL
joshyflip

Stage art
joshyflip
Beta Nexus
Louplayer
TheAces
Snac
PyraBeauty
TelosTurntable
Ainand
Pixy

Concept Art
SAWhane
St. Nick
Marcy627
Pixy
Mockowl

Promotional Artwork
Stardrop
SAWhane
St. Nick
Saneko

Gameplay Programming
Flapperultra
Dark
Chopp
KGL
joshyflip
ScarlyNight

Powered by the Harmony Framework for GAME MAKER STUDIO 2
Dark
Flapperultra

Music composed and arranged by
Emma
NiphFM
ChilliusVGM
Misty

Quality assurance
Axanery
Corbond
Deadlyname15
MKexe
Makeshift
PsyAlola
Spitfya
Snu
Yoritoshi

• Thumbs Up 3

This looks absolutely fantastic, thanks a lot for sharing! I'd love to check it out myself but I'm a grubby Apple Mac user.:cry: Maybe there's a way for me to make this run on my new M2 that's coming later today (maybe Parallels or something). How long have you guys been working on this project? It looks like a lot of time has gone into it!

Both acts of Sunrise Gate also feel like a tribute in 2D to Sonic Utopia!! 

i personally think that Act 2 is among the most wonderful tributes to 2D Sonic in existence so far!! 

Also, as someone who doesn't have Mania thank you for porting its essence to Gm!!   this will definitely allow you to bring in elements from the original fangames without having to reverse engineer everything!!

11 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

This looks absolutely fantastic, thanks a lot for sharing! I'd love to check it out myself but I'm a grubby Apple Mac user.:cry: Maybe there's a way for me to make this run on my new M2 that's coming later today (maybe Parallels or something). How long have you guys been working on this project? It looks like a lot of time has gone into it!

We're planning on releasing native Mac and Linux ports of the demo as soon as our site launches, which will coincide with our final patch for this version of the game (Unless something gamebreaking gets discovered, of course!) Personally running an M1 MacBook Pro myself and the game's been running like a dream!

As for how long it took, I started out as early as September 2017, when modding tools for Mania were just starting to come out. Legends' current incarnation took a while to get to this point but once it did in 2021, we had spent most of that year redefining what we wanted to achieve out of the project, mainly art-wise. SGZ1's layout in particular had already been finalized by that point, with act 2 being wrapped up in May this year.

2 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

Both acts of Sunrise Gate also feel like a tribute in 2D to Sonic Utopia!! 

i personally think that Act 2 is among the most wonderful tributes to 2D Sonic in existence so far!! 

Also, as someone who doesn't have Mania thank you for porting its essence to Gm!!   this will definitely allow you to bring in elements from the original fangames without having to reverse engineer everything!!

Don't think I've mentioned this anywhere but the gemstones you can find around the edges in the cave BG for Sunrise are actually a subtle nod to the gem cave you can find in Utopia's Green Hill Zone!

Spoiler

afbeelding.thumb.png.44d0bba49ef29fdd209728303e81dbc1.pngafbeelding.png.9459435a57da491c2a8eb4f121409171.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Tried it out, was really good love the pixel art and that the old rabbit Sonic design was used can't wait to see how devlopment goes 

The only gripe I have with the game is I couldn't use the control stick to move Sonic I had to use the D-Pad kinda odd but other then that small thing it was pretty fun

• 2 months later...

Demo 2 coming to CGS this November, which on top of adding in proper controller support and bug fixes from the June demo, we're adding another act in the form of Panic City Zone from Sonic Utopia 2006.

• Thumbs Up 1