Awoo.

Sonic after IDW.

Slashy

Well, after hearing what's going on with IDW, I think what SEGA will eventually do afterwards is start making visual novels of Sonic the Hedgehog afterwards as a set of side games.  They already have some of the writers from the comics working on some of their games and after the success of the Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, I think that this would be the next place to go to, if the IDW comics go down because of the shakeup at IDW.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Well, after hearing what's going on with IDW, I think what SEGA will eventually do afterwards is start making visual novels of Sonic the Hedgehog afterwards as a set of side games.  They already have some of the writers from the comics working on some of their games and after the success of the Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, I think that this would be the next place to go to, if the IDW comics go down because of the shakeup at IDW.

The comics take little effort on SEGA's part to make so this does not make much sense. If anything we would get both.

I am not sure that SEGA would want to go out and find another publisher after this and if someone came along would SEGA give even less of a marketing push than it gave to IDW.

• Thumbs Up 1

This Is the first time I’ve heard this News to me. I just hope this series would not get cancelled because I’m really enjoying reading the IDW Sonic comics and everyone as well.

I just love collecting the physical cover art of the comics variant I have about 166 IDW Sonic comics In different variant covers. From the mini series to the special etc.

I just hope this fantastic series continues with the great team at IDW Sonic.

I'm not too worried honestly. Sonic is one of IDW's most popular titles, same with when Archie had the license. It's a strong IP, and no doubt it'll be licensed elsewhere if IDW goes under or doesn't see the licensing costs worth paying anymore.

I think the fact that Sonic Team artists have gotten to do some covers for the IDW series, as well as getting Ian involved in the mainline games now, and seeing the comics get new localizations overseas pretty regularly now, it's safe to say it's seen as a profitable venture for SEGA. I think after the Archie incident they've also made sure to keep character rights, so surely we'd see a continuation or at the very least the same characters should a new series happen.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but things feel a lot more stable with the IDW series. I don't think we'll be seeing the end of this continuity anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like with Japanese interest in the series being boosted due to Frontiers, there is a non-zero chance of a new manga, possibly getting a translation from someone like Viz (Who hold Pokemon, Transformers, and Super Mario as part of their kids lines) or TokyoPop (which is mostly known for Disney manga) for international release. Not sure about other international markets, but I could see Udon doing something with the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a giant catalog that posts previews for upcoming figures, comic books and the like that is published once monthly called "Previews" you can get in your local comic shop.  Usually you can check out upcoming releases from all your favorite publishers, big and small(save Marvel and DC who do their own separate preview books).  IDW wasn't in the latest issue.  I looked back and forth but couldn't find them.  They had downgraded from a featured publisher to just having a smaller space...they're not even listed anymore.  I'm sure it's IDW just trying to save money but I'm not...confident in the future of IDW right now.  Correction: I DID manage to find them in the catalog, they just got moved around again.