Awoo.

Why is Sonic Team struggling with releasing good remasters of the Sonic games?

Rabbitearsblog

7 hours ago, Wittymations said:

Time is money. Money is time.

The time spent on a project is less time for other projects and less money being given to the company. Besides, the reality is "a good quality remaster" probably wouldn't honestly move the needle much in sales compared to a mediocre or even poor one, as ignorant as that may sound.

The reality is, a lot of times quality and sale numbers just do not align. So, why spend more time on something that's gonna have "meh" sales? You'd have to convince the big wigs of that argument and that's hard to do. Can you convince them it's worth the time and money? What if your prediction is off by a huge margin? Could be your neck on the line.

That is true.  You can never know how consumers are going to react to remasters in general.  They might buy the product or they might not.  By the way, how did the sales of Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins go?  Did they sell well anyway, despite the fact that the end result may not be in the best state?

On 7/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I've been thinking about this.  Just how much control does SEGA actually have over the quality of the games?  Do they just publish the games and are not involved with the process of making the games or do they give out mandates for Sonic Team to follow?

I think it's more SEGA pitches what demographic/ angle the project needs to be pitched towards or what type of Sonic game it needs to be to follow the latest or upcoming gaming rages. Imagine we got a Sonic Open world Zone just when Elden Ring went open world- wait...
Or an idea that didn't happen: a MOBA based on SEGA franchises back when MOBA's were popping up like daisies. Blizzard did it... and well... company merges happened... and... well... something slid downhill there.

Back on topic! If SEGA simply asks to make a sequel to Unleashed, well I think Sonic Team will come up with a very good try at it, but the more mandates SEGA can put out will direct the project's scope and end up making the project SEGA wants. of course, that can still BOMB incredibly hard if SEGA makes a wrong call.

11 hours ago, Duelistic Nature said:

I think it's more SEGA pitches what demographic/ angle the project needs to be pitched towards or what type of Sonic game it needs to be to follow the latest or upcoming gaming rages. Imagine we got a Sonic Open world Zone just when Elden Ring went open world- wait...
Or an idea that didn't happen: a MOBA based on SEGA franchises back when MOBA's were popping up like daisies. Blizzard did it... and well... company merges happened... and... well... something slid downhill there.

Back on topic! If SEGA simply asks to make a sequel to Unleashed, well I think Sonic Team will come up with a very good try at it, but the more mandates SEGA can put out will direct the project's scope and end up making the project SEGA wants. of course, that can still BOMB incredibly hard if SEGA makes a wrong call.

I do wonder, who makes the mandates regarding the comics: SEGA or Sonic Team?