Awoo.

Internet personas

Chooch

That's an extreme example. I actually have known and known of many people online who have lied about something to do with themselves, from pretending to be older than they are to pretending that they were dying of cancer to get sympathy.

The first part you quoted was me saying that that is lying. Maybe it's the phrasing, because what I mean is, I don't understand why you would pretend to be someone you're not. Why lie?

I don't understand what you were getting at?

Persona means = the mask or façade presented to satisfy the demands of the situation or the environment and not representing the inner personality of the individual; the public personality.

I think it's pretty clear that I'm not talking about fan characters/mascots/whatever you want to call them.

Edited by Mollfie

In terms of personalities - I am me. Albeit, I'm a little more vocal on the net then I am off of it, but I can't help that for whatever reason, its just who I am. Otherwise though who I am here is pretty much exactly who I am offline =).

As for character personas and whatnot, at the moment I don't really have any fancharacters I can say I've ended up keeping. I'm moving away from that now, I don't find that fun. But when I did have them, I've got so many that I just go through so quickly. There are a couple characters designs I've made that have over time shifted into something other than Sonic though, and eventually in the future I'd love to do something with those.

Even if you're using your real name all the time on the internet, you indeed have an internet persona.

A persona is kinda like a "version of yourself". Even in real life, you choose one of them to get the desired impression towards your (different) environment. People tend to think that it means a mask, as in hiding who you "truly" are.

That's what the topic is about. Or supposed to be, lol.

How did you make yourself appear as on the net? (as in name and/or act)

I had internet access since 1996. And the very first community I connected to was an art board which name eludes me now.

I started with the name Sonicolas and tied it to a firey black hedgehog. Not the same one as the one you see right now. He had 3 bangs like tails. (which was a sprite edit lol~)

Clearly, I wanted to show that I was a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog. And it started to show when I joined old communities like Sonic HQ, Shadow of a Hedgehog and so on.

I used the name pretty much everywhere I went, may it be on the web (DeviantART... GameFAQs XP) or in games like Starcraft and Counter-Strike.

I changed my name in 2004 to FlameStream, since I wanted a better sounding name XP; Plus it was just more fitting. With people like Darkspeeds, Airlight, Boltstryke, Chembot and so on, I joined the trend of the portmanteau names. I didn't let go of my old name since a lot of people still adress me by that name.

To this day I'm still using FlameStream wherever I go. (That doesn't mean that if you google Sonicolas or Flamestream, you'll see all sites I've registered to. Clearly there are some imposters XP;). Obviously, while the name doesn't have the word "Sonic" in it, I still wanted to keep my Sonic ties and associated to the Black Hedgehog character of mine. I once wanted to change it to Blaze to have a single word name like all Sonic characters, but ever since the creation of Blaze the Cat abandonned the idea. I didn't abandon the idea of a single word name though.

I eventually made my real name public, but only where it's needed.

As for how I choose to act like online, it's not that different from how I usually act in offline (if there are any differences). I've never RP'ed as my character. In fact, I don't think I've assigned any personality to it (unless mine counts).

I've always wanted to do something with it though, like a comic. But I hardly have time anymore..~

^ I indeed still have you imprinted as Sonicolas, and I only joined the fandom in 04. It's amazing how fixed such personas are on our minds! I see your black hedgehog and the style with which it's drawn, and I associate with it a memorable name. Even without the name, I still "know who you are".

It's part of the reason I've avoided a name change in most aspects, despite no longer being interested in DragonBall Z. Almost everywhere I'm still SaiyanHajime, or variants.

Edited by Arrow

Oh, names? I see. Right.

I started out as 'Katu'. I was that wherever I went. Then, I discovered, and joined, youtube. But alas, the Katu lala Kulu chain was goin' around, and Katu was already taken. So, I created 'KatuTheKat'. I'm still that to this day.(plugplugshamelessplug)

A few sites and a taco later, I came to dA. Again, I used KatuTheKat.(MOARSHAMELESSPLUGGING)

Here's where the new one comes in.

I had been frozen on Subeta(Accidentally), and I had no idea what to put for a name. Remembering a japanese song(I think it was the jap opening to pkmn D&P) and a part of it, I drew out a word. My memory was slightly wrong, and what was 'Daijobu' became 'Daisoku', and thus, I became that. I still use Katu sometimes, if purely for nostalgia reasons.

Yup.