Awoo.

Sonic and Tails R

antyep

This episode was edge of your seat good! The line delivery and every thing was on point and eggman was so intense in this one. This has the stakes I always wanted in the sonic franchise. Shine on guys this was amazing! 

The insert song is out.

I've been rather lukewarm about this series tbh, but having the opening riff lead into a full lyrical theme is the type of shit I love from this series.

• Nice Smile 2

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The insert song is out.

but having the opening riff lead into a full lyrical theme is the type of shit I love from this series.

Absolutely. I still enjoyed the series a lot but thats definitely the kicker.

Tried to enjoy this series but the plot is... something and Tails just doesn't sit well with me. Episodes 5 and 6 were the best as Ryan gets his Sonic voice back here. 

Sad to see the series is almost over. Made me feel like a kid again honestly which let me look past the problems. Felt kinda like dare I say a small scale SA3. All the returns, Drummond kicking it out of the park, and Mike allowed to really show off his chops instead of being held back. The song is a banger too.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LunchPolice said:

I am seriously obsessed with this song. It's so good.

I've been listening to it every day since it came out, multiple times a day.

10 hours ago, charmsb said:

I've been listening to it every day since it came out, multiple times a day.

Me too! Glad I'm not the only one to fall into the depths xD

I finally got to listen to the whole series so far. It was great fun to have a whole Sonic adventure read out by people who worked on the series, even if only in a limited function. Ryan is still a little rusty to me, but the real star for me has been Mike, actually giving a sinister performance as Eggman.

And Fly With Me is such a great song. It's good to here Tony Harnell singing a Sonic styled song again.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far I've been treating this as little nostalgia trip with couple of cute moments, but Episode 9 genuinely gave me chills.

It's ridiculous to think that Sonic games could sound this good for years now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, Kuzu said:

The insert song is out.

I've been rather lukewarm about this series tbh, but having the opening riff lead into a full lyrical theme is the type of shit I love from this series.

I stopped listening after the car chase because the series wasn't clicking with me but oh, man this song is great. It's been a long time since Tony's done anything Sonic related and Emi has a great voice too.

Maaan this is some of the best Sonic stuff we've gotten from the community in a while. I really hope Emi does something of this scale again sometime, but I can imagine it's been a hell of a lot to handle.

The Finale's up. A cute send off and interesting direction for Tails. I also liked how Mike got to play a more down to earth Eggman for a moment that's stripped of the flair for the mean time.

It's a fun series overall that does have the handicap of Radio play being less interesting than a comic, animation, or game. Though with fans animating scenes perhaps it could get fully animated one day. Who knows. It has it's ups and downs but what truly shines is the fun fanservice voice cast and the honest to goodness sincerity. Something I feel the series mostly lacks now a days. It is slowly getting it back I feel, even the modern stuff. Yeah I know the flaws but it just feels good to go back to the era I cherished most and feel right at home. 

Ryan Drummond really kills it and Mike gets to show the side of Eggman I missed. Emi does a great job as Tails as well. I hope to see more sometime in the future. Who really knows.

• Thumbs Up 2

It was a bitter sweet send off, but I only really got sad when I heard Ryan after the end credits. I don't know if there's gonna be a 'next time'. Kinda maybe shed a tear.

I only listened to episode 1 back when this series started, and posted my thoughts at the time, but then got distracted. So I'm gonna knock the series out and give my thoughts along the way!

Re-listening to episode 1, I still had a great time with it!

Sonic's and Eggman's banter was still great, with Eggman being both a capable enemy and still throwing out witty one-liners the whole time. Emi really strikes a nice balance with writing his character, and at least so far, I'm a fan of how she handles him.

Tails - who I expect from the title will be a pretty important character in the story - was pretty good as well. His little moment of geeking out over explaining how tractor beams work was genuinely cute and funny.

Knuckles has this calm, wise vibe about him - at least so far. Though I appreciated the little hints of his and Sonic's competitive nature as well.

I'll be leaving my thoughts on episode 2 - and the others - soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

Episode 2 complete.

This episode was less action-packed than the first, which is fine. Definitely more focused on character relationship stuff, with a bit of the Emerald plot moving forward.

Lisa Ortiz reprising her role as Amy was a surprise, and - while she was mostly just her for the standard "crush on Sonic while he tries to get away" shtick, it was still nice to hear her again.

Tails's insecurities have frequently been a plot point in various Sonic media, with some handling it better than others. Tails doesn't get too down on himself here, and Sonic definitely comes off as a supportive friend during his moment of self-doubt.

Eggman's brief appearance toward the end definitely has me intrigued. He and Sonic have each restored an Emerald each, and Eggman's Emerald is leaking energy. Wonder what that means!

Onto episode 3!

Episode 3 done!

Man, cops in the Sonic universe are always such blowhards. I love how they ditch whatever other crime they're solving to go chase Sonic for speeding.

Sonic's carefree funloving attitude is really on display here, and I love it. Basically just doing City Escape again(complete with an improvised skateboard) is a little on the nose, but eh, that's fine.

Eggman steals the show as usual. He goes from jolly to stone-cold intimidating in an instant, and it's really effective. I also love the implication of Eggman's threats - that he's genuinely willing to let his longtime enemies live if they back off and stay out of his way. Not that they ever would, but it shows that power-hungry pragmatic side of Eggman, whose goal is conquest rather than destroying Sonic for its own sake.

The corrupted Chaos Emeralds are an interesting idea as well. Very intrigued.

Episode 4 complete!

While I've never been super into Silver as a character, his performance was definitely good here. A part of me kinda wishes the Egg Hammers had somewhat more emotive, less "robotic" voices (like Orbot or Cubot for example), but I get Emi's approach to making the Badniks a little more serious in this portrayal. It's fine.

Just as an aside, I like how the series is making time for Sonic's various friends and allies. Even if they have small parts individually, it's nice to see each of them get bits of focus in the story.

The Chao were a nice little inclusion too. Gives Silver a good reason to break off from the team.

Sonic reassuring Tails and their little moment at the end of the episode was really heartfelt and nice. Small, slow moments between the action like this are really good and it's something I'd like to see more of in official Sonic media.

Episode 5 done. Let's see...

Great to see Eggman again after his absence in the previous episode! (I love how Eggman just crankily yells at Sonic to go away.)

Honestly really interesting to see Sonic challenge Eggman to a race. They're enemies and the fate of the world hangs in the balance, but they're still so competitive at heart. Eggman and Sonic have such a clash of personality, and their rivalry is on full display here. (Loved the little nod to Metal Sonic as well) And of course Eggman would cheat by sending his robots after Sonic. I wouldn't have it any other way!

And whoa, they did a Team Blast! Nice to see a gameplay move actually worked into the story.

I don't know what Eggman did in the end, but I'm intrigued!

(I'd say I was surprised to see Tikal again, but I saw her in the video thumbnail later in the playlist)

Anyway, that's all for now! I'll post my thoughts on the remaining episodes later!

Episode 6

Cool to see a new Egg Carrier.

"When fast thinking if of the essence, I'm the essence of fast-thinkin'" - Good callback to AoStH of all things.

I always thought GUN worked better as a somewhat corrupt, shady military organization rather than the noble good guys that Shadow and 06 portrayed them as. S&TR really fits that image of GUN, and I think it works well here.

SPEED HIGHWAY RAP SONG? OKAY SURE, I'M INTO IT!

Honestly really good use of GUN as the bad guys. Makes me wish the games had stuck with this angle for them.

...oh. Oh. Shadow's a high-ranking GUN guy and these guys were just rogue idiots. Eh, guess that's still fine.

Episode 7

Aw yeah, Egg Carrier time!

BIG! Now it's a party.

Eggman's conversation with Tails was really well-done. Genuinely complimenting Tails on his ability was a nice touch, and I like how Eggman toes the line between being gentlemanly and just being a huge jerk. The boss fight with Tails was also great.

Oop. Eggman bamboozled them!

Okay, series over! Eggman's the winner! Oh ho ho ho ho! Nothing else to see!

Now that the series is over, I can say that Sonic and Tails R was a great time! Especially the ending! So bold! So daring! So- Okay, okay. I know there are three more episodes. Let's continue.

Episode 8

Sonic and Tails have been vaporized! Or have they?

A nice breather episode after lots of intense action. Nice to see Tikal again.

Aw, geez. Eggman accidentally supercharged Sonic and Tails. That's the opposite of vaporization!

Episode 9

Super Sonic and Super Tails vs. Eggman. Heck. Yes.

EGG GHIDORAH? Yes, incredible.

The battle was super cool. Great quips from Eggman along the way ("Down this barrel!") and clever problem-solving by Sonic and Tails. Good to see Chekov's Tractor Beam return from episode 1. Eggman's respectful "eulogy" for his fallen foes before he crushes them was great - totally badass.

The heroes pull through for a nice triumphant victory, and we get a nice satisfying resolution to the battle and conflict at large.

See, look at that. You can have a "Sonic Adventure"-like story tonally and still have an Eggman final boss. It's even still a giant dragon for you guys who want a Super Sonic vs. Kaiju battle!

The song was also nice.

Episode 10

Alright, time for the real finale.

I honestly really enjoyed Eggman's cordial departure here. Emi did a great job depicting Eggman as a true threat, but also keeping his respectful, affable side. Such a great balance, and a nice respectful sendoff for the doctor after his big climactic showdown.

Tails speculating about Eggman going super - now there's something to think about!

BIG! He's back! Such a welcome face with words of wisdom for the ending.

Anyway, good satisfying ending where we see the characters wrap up. Most Sonic games have really short ending sequences, so this felt nice - getting a little more time to close out with everyone.

Anyway, great series, would recommend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, this was a great series and a wonderful labor of love by fans to how the series could be.

Though maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel some sort of ennui seeing Tails progress as a character again after so long following Adventure 2 when he was just... stopped. It just felt so odd.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well Tails slowly slid into the background after SA2 when the series started focusing on other characters, and even when he was brought back as a prominent supporting character, he's relegated to tech duty.

So yea, Tails hasn't actually gotten much focus or development in 20 years. But Emi is very clearly biased towards Tails and wanted to give him his due, and I think it was well deserved for him.

Lord knows the canon material isn't going to treat him this well, so its fine for fans to pick up the slack.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Well Tails slowly slid into the background after SA2 when the series started focusing on other characters, and even when he was brought back as a prominent supporting character, he's relegated to tech duty.

We can thank Dimps for keeping his status as a playable hero up a little bit in that timespan. The Advance games, and even - eugh - Sonic 4 gave us what the 3D platformers kept skimping out on.

And of course there's Mania, but that's a "different Tails" I guess.