Awoo.

Does Sonic still have his powers and skills from the past

Meta77

6 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

This is why everybody needs to subscribe and click the bell on my YouTube channel =p

But to address the topic. 

It's not just powers and skills, there's also some personality traits, like apparently Sonic is a keen reader, whilst we rarely see this in the games, in the wider official media we certainly do see it.

What I think happens is that... As time passes by, some people at Sega who don't directly work on the games, know and have seen that certain characters have certain powers and abilities as well as traits, they still believe these are active today, so when they get quizzed on 'how should Sonic be' they say "Well there's this... this and a this..." not knowing it's been retconned or just no longer used.

Would explain a lot of the dialogue that the statue at Tokyo Joypolis says.

I think you have the right of it

On 9/13/2019 at 9:26 PM, DabigRG said:

I'd say Lost World was justified.

Forces, on other hand? Well, that game has a list of stuff it doesn't really try.

Justified or not, its hard to include Chaos Control as a plot point when the Emeralds themselves are absent.

We can't in good faith call Sonic out for not using Chaos Control when the means and the methods have been unavailable to him as of late.

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Justified or not, its hard to include Chaos Control as a plot point when the Emeralds themselves are absent.

We can't in good faith call Sonic out for not using Chaos Control when the means and the methods have been unavailable to him as of late.

Oh, I was just talking about the emeralds in general. 

TBH, Sonic had to be in pretty specific situation to use the Chaos Control (using a Fake Emerald in SA2, dual-chaos-control in 06) and nearly all the other times, we don't see him use it at all, even when he could as he have Emeralds. So I think it's pretty safe to say that he won't be able except in special situations.

For other moves, like any game, it depends of the gameplay and it make sense to not have all the Sonic artillery in plateform games they aren't adapted for (and tbh even some are similar so it's not that a problem for me, for instance the Homming Attack of Sonic Lost World some something inbetween his old homming attack and the light attack). It's more in games like Chronicles where that kind of thing annoy me, as it would be the place to reuse a lot of his capacities, as it's an RPG.

A reminder that, once upon a time (in S&K), Sonic was able to transform into his Super (or Hyper) form when all seven Chaos Emeralds were safely on the altar of Hidden Palace Zone at Angel Island. 

He did this while Angel Island and the Emeralds were still fallen to the ocean, and he himself was in outer space. Then he did it again for the ending pose, after Tails had flown him a fair distance away from the Emeralds' resting place.

Modern Sonic basically isn't the same Sonic as SA2 Sonic, so I would be VERY surprised if he ever uses Chaos Control in a modern game, just as I would be very surprised to ever see Hyper Sonic in a new game.

Modern Sonic has spammed Chaos Control in the comics. Its clearly not something Sega has a problem with allowing if/when the story calls for it.

If the need arises, there is nothing to say he wouldn't whip it out as a last resort - like he always has.