Awoo.

What is your favorite 'type' of Sonic?

Myst

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I was actually thinking about characters like Naruto when I wrote that, but I suppose they raise an interesting point. Ichigo and from what I remember Yusuke are definitely less expressive and aggressive.

With that said, what IS the definition of a shonen protagonist?

Conan and a lot of Slice of Life Romance Manga are classified as Shounen so it's hard to define it , unless you mean Fighting shounen 

It feels like there should be different categories of sonic based on how different some of the eras and many interpretations of the same character exist. But in practice this is hard to actually do in any logical way.

One of the glaring inconsistencies in your OP is adventure sonic and modern sonic. You used a game like unleashed and claimed that was "adventure", when unleashed has much, much more in common with generations which is modern by your definition. And as is commonly understood, the unleashed and generations models are identical. So clearly you are wrong here. Sonic 06 Sonic is also visually different than SA1 and SA2, and those games if you take into account their dreamcast appearances can be thought of as different from each other. The heroes and shadow models are also different from 06 and SA1.

This also applies to the classic era. There are quite a lot of interpretations of classic era sonic, from the American versions to the Japanese versions. There may be even more differences among them than the modern varieties. Heck even sonic 3 sonic is different than sonic 1 and sonic 2.

This is ultimately why SEGA decided to just stick with classic and modern because the defintions get nonsensical when you start trying to reduce it further. 

I dont even like the separation of sonic really, but if we're going to do this we may as well not have any categories whatsoever. Just pick your favorite individula instance of the character and stick with that.

My all time favorite is probably between sonic 3 sonic and the in game model for SA1 sonic. I like the darker blue hue as opposed to the early classic versions. I could do either brown or green eyes honestly, either way is fine. I also like the proportions of the character. Sonic got much too tall later in the series and he's supposed to be a short hedgehog that curls into a ball.

I also love the sonic CD version for the expressiveness of the character. I think when many people reference that as a ideal for sonic, they are really talking about that as well as the slick animations of his acrobatics. When you watch it it just feels like Sonic boiled down to the bare bones of his essence. What he should be doing and wants to be doing. I think this same animation and expressiveness could also work with a subtly different art style as well. And for in game models I tend to lean SA1 as the best most logical proportions for the character (in 3D anyway).

Honestly, Classic Sonic is only differentiated because of the combination of being how the series started out before it got it's big shift with Adventure, being an established playstyle people had been wanting back in shape since, and because they call him something when they decided to make Generations as an anniversary game.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

It feels like there should be different categories of sonic based on how different some of the eras and many interpretations of the same character exist. But in practice this is hard to actually do in any logical way.

One of the glaring inconsistencies in your OP is adventure sonic and modern sonic. You used a game like unleashed and claimed that was "adventure", when unleashed has much, much more in common with generations which is modern by your definition. And as is commonly understood, the unleashed and generations models are identical. So clearly you are wrong here. Sonic 06 Sonic is also visually different than SA1 and SA2, and those games if you take into account their dreamcast appearances can be thought of as different from each other. The heroes and shadow models are also different from 06 and SA1.

This also applies to the classic era. There are quite a lot of interpretations of classic era sonic, from the American versions to the Japanese versions. There may be even more differences among them than the modern varieties. Heck even sonic 3 sonic is different than sonic 1 and sonic 2.

This is ultimately why SEGA decided to just stick with classic and modern because the defintions get nonsensical when you start trying to reduce it further. 

I dont even like the separation of sonic really, but if we're going to do this we may as well not have any categories whatsoever. Just pick your favorite individula instance of the character and stick with that.

My all time favorite is probably between sonic 3 sonic and the in game model for SA1 sonic. I like the darker blue hue as opposed to the early classic versions. I could do either brown or green eyes honestly, either way is fine. I also like the proportions of the character. Sonic got much too tall later in the series and he's supposed to be a short hedgehog that curls into a ball.

I also love the sonic CD version for the expressiveness of the character. I think when many people reference that as a ideal for sonic, they are really talking about that as well as the slick animations of his acrobatics. When you watch it it just feels like Sonic boiled down to the bare bones of his essence. What he should be doing and wants to be doing. I think this same animation and expressiveness could also work with a subtly different art style as well. And for in game models I tend to lean SA1 as the best most logical proportions for the character (in 3D anyway).

I believe the op was referring to the different personalities of Sonic rather than the gameplay styles and the graphical engines.

On to the topic: I disagree with IDW Sonic being lumped together with Modern Sonic.  Modern Sonic is much more "smug" and nonanimated while IDW Sonic is more cocky and lively. He also shows a wider range of emotion, such as having sympathy for Mr. Tinker which wouldn't feel very genuine with his current games' personality. I think Boom Sonic actually fits with Modern Sonic's personalty more which is kind of ironic since Boom Sonic was supposed to be different character from mainline game Sonic when in actuality he was written almost exactly the same. He's just Modern Sonic with bandages.

Sorry if the categories were a bit off.

Unleashed, to me, felt like an Adventure kind of game, with a dark monster villain, an epic quest, and Super Sonic finale. Whereas Generations and Colors had a very lighthearted, cartoonish vibe to them. While there was humor in Unleashed, It also had its moments of 'edge' which I felt was comparable to SA1/SA2/Shadow & '06.

Basically the point of this topic was what kind of tone do you like most in Sonic media. Serious, goofy, specific animated adaptations or the more modern stuff done by Pontac, Graff & Roger Craig Smith.

SatAM & Archie were a bit 'edgy' and serious like the Adventure games, but the universe & characters were so vastly different that I felt they didn't belong together.

The thing that ties Underground to SatAM & Archie to me, is the post-apocalyptic setting, and Robotnik's SatAM design, (plus the term 'Freedom Fighter' was used in Underground as well) Underground does have a slightly sillier feel, but its still that same kind of universe as SatAM & the comics.

Boom was pure comedy and while not as surreal and off-the-wall insane as AoStH, still had that lighthearted feel. There's no real danger or high stakes in Boom, save for the occasional episode, (like the series finale)

On 8/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Strickerx5 said:

I'm going to have to ask you to rework and clarify this man. As it stands, this really is more of a list topic with its railroaded responses.

Done.