Awoo.

Best (GAME) Story in last Deacade?

MetalSkulkBane

9 hours ago, Pinkolol said:

Colours DS.

the translator works (except for Violet Wisps but they're explained by 'they're not understandable because Eggman modified/'killed' them' not because they wanted to stuff a joke in there about salad or something like the Wii version), they actually meet the Wisps in cutscenes and talk about them (As mentioned with Violet Wisp, and Rocket Wisp even allows Sonic to reference Knuckles as a joke and this is mandatory), Yacker's disappearance in the story is mentioned, and Yacker has a few character moments with Sonic (the first few cutscenes of the translator, one extra with the cyan laser in Aquarium Park is literally just a character-moment cutscene off the top of my head). I shouldn't have to mention they added extra with the Mother Wisp, and also that Yacker post-credits in a scene where they're automatically translated for clarity is telling the other Wisps how cool Sonic was so that he can remember him.

I've honestly said it's the best version of Colours for years now. Where people say Black Knight was the last good Sonic story is where I just sneakily add Colours DS, because it's literally the last instance of that writing we ever got.

This isn't even considering the other characters but yeah stuff them in there too.

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Sonic Colours. Simple , entertaining and well written - especially Cubot and Orbot. Great game too.

You know, I'm glad you clarified that.

I think I mentioned this somewhere recently, but I don't mind the Wisps. Mainly as things within the series's world/lore/whatever, as gameplay itself is another issue, but yeah. And while I do genuinely appreciate and still respect Colors for just being a straightforward game with a simple story, I do think a genuine not-weakness-so-much-as-oversight was that the Wisps aside from Yacker(somewhat) aren't much in the way of characters.

So it's nice to hear that, in addition the Mother Wisp being a thing at the end, the DS version actually takes the time out to do stuff with each of the other Wisp types.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:00 AM, Pinkolol said:

Colours DS.

I may be biased, it was the first game I bought. although, I remember distinctly not wanting it, as the other games sounded more interesting.

The story doesn't try to be juvenile by shoving jokes where they aren't appropriate, the translator works (except for Violet Wisps but they're explained by 'they're not understandable because Eggman modified/'killed' them' not because they wanted to stuff a joke in there about salad or something like the Wii version), they actually meet the Wisps in cutscenes and talk about them (As mentioned with Violet Wisp, and Rocket Wisp even allows Sonic to reference Knuckles as a joke and this is mandatory), Yacker's disappearance in the story is mentioned, and Yacker has a few character moments with Sonic (the first few cutscenes of the translator, one extra with the cyan laser in Aquarium Park is literally just a character-moment cutscene off the top of my head). I shouldn't have to mention they added extra with the Mother Wisp, and also that Yacker post-credits in a scene where they're automatically translated for clarity is telling the other Wisps how cool Sonic was so that he can remember him.

I've honestly said it's the best version of Colours for years now. Where people say Black Knight was the last good Sonic story is where I just sneakily add Colours DS, because it's literally the last instance of that writing we ever got.

This isn't even considering the other characters but yeah stuff them in there too.

Honestly it made me way sadder when Generations 3DS was just a less flashy version of the console version with the same script because of it. It was the last handheld to truly feel like there was an ounce of thought put into the story.

Honestly, and I wouldn't be surprised if I get a lot of disagreement, but nothing has entertained me since. Nothing. Because they're always trying to shove some reference in there and I can't stand it.

Hence why I haven't bought a game in over a decade without returning it if I have.

Even worse was that Lost World had EXACTLY the same script as the Wii U version. And well, there are:

* Boom games, which had a lot of silly gags but little to no nods to the past. Rise of Lyric is more serious than the Pontaff-penned portables. Gameplay (and visual) wise, it is complete dreck though.

* I’d give an honorable mention to Forces for at least trying to be more serious than usual.

Had Sega not rushed and cut a lot of the story 06 it could have been good.

But honestly I would have to say adventure and maybe adventure 2 if you remove the tails sections and that odd space ride where knuckles loses the emerald again. Worse stories imo were colors, generation, boom. but lately as with those games sega seems to like the more gimmick and goofy dumb type stories with a lot of humor to sell it.

Sonic Free Riders it was one of the last Sonic games where Amy thinks about Sonic primarily and she doesn't have the personality of a wet blanket.   

• 1 year later...

(My apologies, I’m bored again)

I’m pretty sure Unleashed was a decade ago, but of the ones you picked either Lost World or RoL.  And not just because RoL is my 2nd favorite in the franchise.

Unleashed was 12 years ago, it' not that easy too check. I specifically wanted to look at post-Black Knight period.

Rise of Lyric is your 2nd favorite in the franchise????????? You are aware this is a somewhat avant-garde claim that could use unpacking.