Awoo.

Sonic Mania Modding

Gemster312

Well, in fact this isn't so surprising, looking that the game uses the same engine found in Sonic CD (2012), and we have a few programs to hack it, and looks like to fit perfectly in Sonic Mania, you can found one of these programs here.

The file Data.rsdk is the same used in Sonic CD, but obviously, the size are different, extracting it, you can find almost everything used in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 3

Sprite mods are starting to come true.

People were able to remove Sonic's sprites and turn into a... Thing. (A box with colors)

Looks like the DRM didn't stop anyone. That's one thing I like, Sonic games will eventually be cracked like a Geode in he end.

6 hours ago, Solister said:

Well, in fact this isn't so surprising, looking that the game uses the same engine found in Sonic CD (2012), and we have a few programs to hack it, and looks like to fit perfectly in Sonic Mania, you can found one of these programs here.

The file Data.rsdk is the same used in Sonic CD, but obviously, the size are different, extracting it, you can find almost everything used in the game.

Yo, how do I extract it?

I downloaded retrun and every time I run:

retrun x Data.rsdk -2

I get an "Error creating directory during rextraction! Invalid argument"

Can't find anything online for assistance.

There's a tool floating about now that can access the game's decrypted files; the game is fully moddable. That was fast!

Already seen a few sprite rips. Exciting times. 

• Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, Gemster312 said:

Yo, how do I extract it?

I downloaded retrun and every time I run:

retrun x Data.rsdk -2

I get an "Error creating directory during rextraction! Invalid argument"

Can't find anything online for assistance.

You are using -2 in the end of the command, use -3 instead, this is the Sonic Mania command. So, your command needs to look like this:

retrun x Data.rsdk -3

You can also use -d=xyz to extract to some other directory, where the xyz means the name of this directory, if this directory didn't exist, it will create automatically.

But, I didn't found many things,  many files are corrupted, there only five audio files that really works. Fortunately, I found other program that is compatibly with Sonic Mania files called X-Ripper, with this program I ripped the full OST of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tool that can unpack/repack Mania's Data.rsdk, opening it to modding. Sprite hacks are already a thing, but apparently they're only working with... GIMP. Probably something to do with GIF format, I'll look into it if I can. 

• Thumbs Up 1

They honestly should have added that from the start considering it's exactly how the final boss plays and super sonic already breaks the game anyway. 

Extracting the Data.rsdk with another program, I find a few things, at least, interesting...

It seems that the game would have Scrap Brain as playable level:

PT6WuQH.gif

I remember reading that on Sonic Retro, but no one had uploaded a image.

Also, sorry, I know that this is a Modding specific topic, but I need to post this in somewhere.

On that note (and sorry for keeping the "derail")

ULGph72.jpg

7UxwQPQ.jpg

Someone on /v/ posted this, apparently Hyper might have been considered at some point?

EDIT: Maybe we need a thread for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Solister said:

Extracting the Data.rsdk with another program, I find a few things, at least, interesting...

It seems that the game would have Scrap Brain as playable level:

PT6WuQH.gif

I remember reading that on Sonic Retro, but no one had uploaded a image.

Also, sorry, I know that this is a Modding specific topic, but I need to post this in somewhere.

Or the Scrap Brain was considered to be the site of Titanic Monarch at first and then it was changed to be in Little Planet instead. As ending where it all began.

2 hours ago, superman43 said:

Or the Scrap Brain was considered to be the site of Titanic Monarch at first and then it was changed to be in Little Planet instead. As ending where it all began.

I don't have sure, as I read here, it seems that this Scrap Brain sprites was leftovers from the 2013 version for Android.

And well, it seems that there's nothing much to find in the game files, it seems my job is finished for now. Here, just some few additions that aren't in the website:

KJwU670.png

Unused Studiopolis Sprites

And well, I don't have much sure about this, but I think that can be interesting:

HiddenPalaceObjects.gif

Hidden Palace from Sonic 2 (2013) on the game.

Also, the original name of Press Garden was Pulp Solstice.

• Thumbs Up 1

PAflCzH.gif

At a panel, it was stated that the original name for Sonic Mania was "Sonic Discovery"; The logo art for Sonic Discovery is still in the game.

I have the files I ripped from X-Ripper, but I don't know what to do with them.

I have the thing to apply mods but I don't know how to MAKE mods.

I don't know how to mod the sprites myself, but...

If anyone makes a mod for playable Eggman I'll be really happy.

Anyone modded the music ? Not that Tee Lopes work is bad or whatever, but I would like to play the game a bit with few custom remixes.