Awoo.

Does Sonic have Super Strength to an extent?

ShadowSJG

12 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Let me be more specific, does Sonic have enhanced strength?

Considering someone like Cream can carry both Big and Amy, and Charmy can carry both Vector and Espio, both with ease, I'd say that they all have different levels of enhanced strength. 

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Sonic and Shadow are both as strong as Knuckles is fast.

You're assuming that being able to carry Big and Amy is out of place for Sonic's world, when we don't exactly have much in the way of civilians to compare them to.  Again, cartoon logic.  Not exactly exciting, but there's nothing to indicate it means any amount of enhanced strength, especially since Cream and Amy are often considered the "normal" characters, having no exceptional powers or deformities that grant them extra abilities.  For a counter-example, Rouge says to Topaz in one episode of Sonic X that she needs to lose some weight, indicating that it's difficult for Rouge to carry her.  We can make the assumption based purely on a visual perspective that Big is probably heavier than Topaz (though it's not like Topaz is exactly overweight herself), therefore realistically speaking, Cream should have difficulty carrying just Big, let alone Big and Amy.  However, cartoon logic dictates that weight is flexible.  On that note, we have no reason to assume that the flight characters in Sonic Heroes carrying the other two members is even plot-relevant as it could very well be (and just like Knuckles' speed in SA1 and 2, it probably is) just a gameplay mechanic.

I think we're conflating silly cartoon and game tropes with actual measurements and story-driven reasoning.  I feel if these characters had "enhanced" strength or that the unrealistic feats they accomplish were supposed to be considered spectacular in the context of the series, they would probably come to light more often than they really do.  Not a game goes by without Sonic bragging about his speed, or Knuckles (when he's in it) threatening to punch some poor fool.  But Sonic's ability to not be melted into a fleshy puddle when he runs at top speed, as well as Cream and Charmy's ability to lift more than what someone of her size, stature, and physical fortitude ought to be able to, are never brought up anymore than it would be in an episode of Bugs Bunny or pretty much any cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 5