Awoo.

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice review thread

Badnik Mechanic

Actually the definition of a cycle is "a series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order" and since everything since 2009 has been at least decent except for those two, that means the cycle is broken.

The original meaning of "the Sonic Cycle" refers to fan reactions to Sonic games, a cycle of getting one's hopes up and then having them dashed. It doesn't have any relevance to the discussion of a game that was never hyped up by large numbers of people to begin with, which is exactly what Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is. And using the term to mean "Sonic games haven't been good for a while" is needlessly confusing, since many people have a different idea of what the term means in their head. It's better to just say "this can be the start of Sonic games being good again" if that's what you mean.

Basically, don't talk about "the Sonic Cycle" here. The term is far more confusing (not to mention emotionally charged) than helpful.

• Thumbs Up 9

The problem is each time the cycle is broken its remade, Sonic Boom in main series or not did not help sonics reputation.

3 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Right now i will take average reviews, thats fine as even average and playable is a good start to break the sonic cycle.

As for me i am unlikely to play it unless it goes to android.

I rather not support nintendo these days

Well tough luck on the Android part because there's no chance that Fire & Ice will be on it and besides, how would the game even work on a Android device?

Yeah because those are high-selling and well-known games (Sonic 4 aside).

I mean, if Fire & Ice is going to be on mobile so should Shattered Crystal.

Let's be real here, SEGA are not going to port any of the Boom games onto another devices because they're not going to get a profit from it. If you want a Boom game on your Android, Dash 2 is the way to go.

Hey mobile can give them a meal ticket, its certainly easier to find someone with a iphone than a 3DS and there is a market for it.

But I doubt anyone's willing to pay like 40 bucks for Fire & Ice for their phone, that's just being silly. 

It's gonna be on the 3DS and only on the 3DS, as I already said there is Dash 2 if you want your mobile fix.

Who says anything about needing to be $40?

Dude it could have a delayed release in a few years as sure the game would be older but people play old games all the time on mobile.

Its called emulation :D

They can be converted, Final Fantasy IV's DS port made it to the mobile marketplace.

Even nintendos going to have a mario game on iOS

Super Mario Run is a game built for mobile devices, it's not a port.

But this is going off topic, I don't see SEGA porting Fire & Ice into mobile because there's no demand for it nor do I see SEGA having any reason to do so.

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

They can be converted, Final Fantasy IV's DS port made it to the mobile marketplace.

Super Mario Run is being built from the ground up it's not a pirt regardless of having NSMB U artwork

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

A port and an emulation are two completely different schools of thought. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

A port and an emulation are two completely different schools of thought. 

True but it can be done, in any case only the future will say where things will go.

Sorry for derailing the topic on my end.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad this didn't totally bomb, even if I'm much more interested in other Sonic games on the horizon. Looks fun for what it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fire & Ice may not be raking up in sale but it is pleasant to know that it's generally considered as a decent game.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, Soni.exe said:

Fire & Ice may not be raking up in sale but it is pleasant to know that it's generally considered as a decent game.

Yeah, it's not going to single-handedly save Sonic's reputation or anything, but it's not giving many reasons to complain either, and I can definitely appreciate that. Hopefully things will only get better from here for the franchise. As for me, who knows, maybe I will buy it sometime when I get a Nintendo 3DS and it goes down in price; the aesthetics of Boom are extremely disappointing to me compared to the rest of the franchise (which is an odd complaint, but it's honestly something that strikes me as I usually have really positive feelings about Sonic aesthetics), but it still looks fun enough to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's certainly a good start in showing that SEGA and company weren't just spouting BS when they claimed they'd be taking up new policies to improve their games' quality.

I consider this game, to hopefully be the nice appetizer for the main course and desserts coming out in different parts of 2017.

A good game that's given the Boom series a legit good game in their library, so Project 2017 should be able to continue, heck even bolster up the good trend, the main series has been on, and Mania aught to be swell too!

• Thumbs Up 4