switch_chara_bomb.png

Bomb Mode

• Thumbs Up 1

New Analysis Video by GameXplain

• There's a Mecha Meta Knight Boss Battle
  • There's also a clone of King Dedede that acts as a Boss
  • The last 2 Robobot Armor Modes are Mic Mode and ESP Mode

• 3 months later...

So, I got Planet Robobot when I was on Holiday, alongside Pokemon Omega Ruby (Which is gonna be my official attempt at getting back into Pokemon games since the original Ruby on GBA). But anyway, this is a Kirby thread, so let's talk Kirby.

Prior to Planet Robobot, the only Kirby games I had played was Kirby's Adventure on Virtual Console (Completed), Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (Completed), a small part of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Squeak Squad (Completed) and a small part of Kirby's Epic Yarn. So I've jumped in Planet Robobot with prior knowledge of the series, but without playing the supposedly best game Return to Dream Land (Which I will definitely considering getting on Wii U's virtual console if it's anywhere near Robobot's quality). 

But anyway, let's talk about this utterly fantastic game.

I sadly missed out on Triple Deluxe when it released but decided to get Planet Robobot when I had the chance due to wanting some new 3DS games to play, and having heard tons of people on here call it the best of the series to date. While I haven't finished it yet (I've just made to Area 4 of the game), I can definitely see why people are saying this. This game is one of the most wonderful platformers I've played in 2016, alongside the 2016 remake of Ratchet & Clank. It just ticks all the right boxes for me. It's still the fun and traditional Kirby gameplay. You run through levels, you suck up enemies, you steal their powers and unleashed all mayhem through the levels with said powers. Some levels are designed different to place specific focus on one power up, such as a level designed for racing through it with Wheel, or a ice cream factory filled with lava blocks that you need to use Ice to progress through. But it also has the virtue of adding more to the gameplay that doesn't impede the fun or gameplay. 

This is of course Kirby's newfound robot armor that's surprisingly similar to a certain other series....

tumblr_o3hj6jiyG61rmgt1qo1_400.jpg

mega man planet robobot

But anyway, the robot armor that Kirby wears might sound like a gimmick at first, and I wouldn't blame you for assuming that due to the fact it's present in more or less every level at one point or another, however the game succeeds in something that is extremely hard to get with these type of gimmicks. Instead of another playstyle that feels like it's fucking around with the actual Kirby gameplay we got the game for, it instead feels like an extension of Kirby's abilities and gameplay. It still controls like Kirby. It still feels like a Kirby game. You have all your same abilities in the armor (with the exception of infinite jump, you can only double jump in the armor), and even better? You still have copy abilities in the suit, and even they feel like an extension of Kirby's gameplay. For example, if Kirby has the wheel power up, we all know he can turn into a very fast moving wheel who can drive on water. If his armor gets a wheel power up? The armor turns into a full car with claws on the front with the ability to jump between the foregrounds. The armor also has the power to do things such as break through bricks, unscrew massive screws in the scenery which can activate platforms and such, and more. The game just does such a good job with this as it's really something that if done wrong would turn into an annoying gimmick that kept interrupting the good parts of the game. Luckily, this turns out to be just as fun as playing as Kirby. If I had one criticism, the armor does take a few levels to get really fun (In area 1, where there wasn't as many copy abilities, I was thinking the armor was a bit overused, but as soon as the better copy abilities hit, that's when the armor got really fun to use.)

Graphics are pretty good on the game as well. I was playing on New3DS so I'm not sure if there's any noticeable graphical/technical differences that would be on the original 3DS but considering it's a Kirby game, I heavily doubt that. I've also not encountered any glitches thus far in the game, so it's a really well built game as well. Graphics look like a slightly downgraded Return to Dreamland, but that's still pretty damn good in my eyes.

And the OST? Oh my god, the OST. It's absolutely wonderful. One of the best I've heard actually. A lot of the OSTs just stand out in my mind because they're so catchy and fun to listen to, my personal favourites so far being....

This game is just fantastic, and it's the first time in a long while I've been really happy with a Nintendo game (I think the last ones I considered really good honestly was Paper Jam, and Splatoon)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've also only just played (and 100%ed) Planet Robobot, and would agree that it's an excellent game.  I had heard some criticism that it felt like an iterative sequel to Triple Deluxe, but I'm not entirely sure I see it; it's clearly reusing the same engine, of course, but it's not like it needed a new one, and there's so much new brought to the table that it's hard to think of it as the same game even if it has many of the same staples.  Quite aside from the brilliant mech armour, which provides many a fresh experience that almost, but not quite, turns the game into a puzzle game, then visually everything has been given that robotic overhaul; it's an absolutely gorgeous game in which every screen is interesting to look at.  While there are a few reused bosses from Triple Deluxe, there are also reused bosses from other Kirby games entirely which haven't just been brought over from the Triple Deluxe coding, so the few bosses that are just visiting from Triple Deluxe feel like part of a logical package of broader series tribute.  The extra modes and minigames are great fun, too (it's amazing how doable even The True Arena is with practice).  It's a relatively short game, even with all the side content - but it's an intense experience that doesn't outstay its welcome.  I wish more games could be like this.

I'm not sure why there hasn't been more conversation about this game here since it's been released, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Planet Robobot is a nice now to wrap up the 'modern' series of games (post Return to Dreamland). It's quite clearly the most gorgeous and technically sound of out of the trilogy.

The mechanization aspect of the story is handled well for what the series can do and then some. Seriously there are some deeper implications and tones underneath that fleshes out the lore that this series can pull off so damn well. Robobot Armor provides a freshing spin on the mechanics and like you said, can feel like a whole new puzzle aspect in some ways. And don't get me started on The True Arena; by far the hardest of its kind in the series while at the same time the most satisfying. Here's hoping the Kirby 3D Rumble sub game is a precursor to something bigger in the works; the mechanics are there.

• Thumbs Up 2