Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 vs. Sonic X versions

Yoko/葉子

We all know the two major Dreamcast Sonic games were incorporated into the Sonic X anime, so why not share thoughts on how some scenes or aspects were better or worse between versions of the stories? Be sure to give detail on why.

To start, when comparing the SA1 versions, I liked how in the anime, Knuckles and Sonic had to team up to defeat two of Chaos' forms. It made Chaos seem like more of a threat.

The anime also had the advantage over the game by giving Chaos more facial expressions, as it made him feel more real and alive.

Though the game took it's time with explaining Chaos' past via Tikal's spirit rather than rush it.

Another advantage for the game in my opinion was how the characters remember scenes differently, wheras the anime had one scripted route. This was cool by letting the player have their own opinion over canon whether Sonic or Gamma won their fight among other parts.

So yeah, they both had ups and downs.

I did not see the SA2 adaptation completely, so I can't comment.

I haven't seen the adaptations. Either that, or it has been so long since I have seen Sonic X that I don't remember.

I do like the thing you said about having different perspectives though. You aren't just restricted to one specific viewpoint of the story.

There also isn't any Chris Thorndyke in the game, so that's a plus.

I admit I liked some of the bells and whistles Sonic X added to SA1. The script was more refined and less clunky (at least the Japanese version) and there was more emotion from the somewhat better animation.

I admit I also liked Sonic and Knuckles' team up in the SA1 adaptation, it added development to Knuckles' loner image (even stated in his theme song) and learning to work with others. Tails also seemed more developed in his growing from his dependence of Sonic (which is saying something considering how bland he was the rest of the time in the anime). Gamma I think was arguably the best handled in the anime (sadly marred in the dub version), I especially liked how they handled his ending. Amy complimented that well too. I liked that 'Lily' was more than just a wobbling model like Birdie was, emoting and connecting with her (it even cries about it's parents). There was more meaning to Gamma's sacrifice that way.

SA2 I wasn't as fond of. The dehumanised versions of Sonic and Shadow in the anime I don't think helped. So much of the emotion in the story was ruined and Shadow looked much more like a Jerk Sue since he suddenly went from cold, sadistic and sinister (and nothing against beating the crap out of a little boy just for getting too close) to a sudden hero, lacking any of the conflict and solemnness of his game counterpart to make it work (compare his final scene with Rouge for example). Sonic's death tease was also ruined by his collected demeanour throughout, you knew he had already figured his way out easy, destroying what was one of Eggman's best moments.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think both adaptations were pretty awesome, definitely the best moments of the series for me.

I'd actually love to make a fan edit of the two and cut out the....Sonic X'y bits....and trim them down to self contained movies.

I think both adaptations were pretty awesome, definitely the best moments of the series for me.

I'd actually love to make a fan edit of the two and cut out the....Sonic X'y bits....and trim them down to self contained movies.

Someone's already done something like that with the Adventure 2 adaption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ToZdrjz_xo

I've only watched the first couple minutes but as far as I can tell they've replaced the voices and music with their game equivalents wherever possible and cut out Chris Thorndyke, among other things.

I actually hate the adaptations of the Adventure games. I feel like a lot of drama was actually lost. Not to mention, I never liked the soundtrack for Sonic X. And yes, I AM talking about the Japanese version here. Not to mention, all the little details drive me crazy. Like how they didn't use the game's Egg Carrier, and replaced it with a crappy looking purple one. Or how they replaced the Tornado II/III with the hideous X-Tornado, because they goofed and gave Tails the Tornado II/III BEFORE the Adventure adapt. Or how they replaced Amy's key moment in Adventure 2 with Chris Thorndyke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7aoKGHh7k

I know this is the English dubs, but I don't care. This goes the same for the Japanese dub of X. The original was better.

• 4 years later...
On 6/5/2015 at 2:42 AM, shdowhunt60 said:

I actually hate the adaptations of the Adventure games. I feel like a lot of drama was actually lost. Not to mention, I never liked the soundtrack for Sonic X. And yes, I AM talking about the Japanese version here. Not to mention, all the little details drive me crazy. Like how they didn't use the game's Egg Carrier, and replaced it with a crappy looking purple one. Or how they replaced the Tornado II/III with the hideous X-Tornado, because they goofed and gave Tails the Tornado II/III BEFORE the Adventure adapt. Or how they replaced Amy's key moment in Adventure 2 with Chris Thorndyke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7aoKGHh7k

I know this is the English dubs, but I don't care. This goes the same for the Japanese dub of X. The original was better.

I agree so much, much of the depth from the original plots is lost and is ruined even more by the way they portray the characters in general in the series, animation and soundtrack also don't help at all.

And yes I also talk about the Japanese version.

Could we also throw in the Archie versions and Fleetway SA1? Fleetway SA1 went in a radically different direction, and from that and the Archie ones, I can understand why “Another Time, Another Place” became a thing, along with IDW apparently deciding the games happened “as-is”, but with some considerations for Three+ Worlds. 

Archie actually incorporated the newer lore into their extant universe rather well, but in some cases not well enough. 

The one thing about the SA2 adaptation I really appreciate is how we got to meet the GUN soldier who shot Maria, and learning how his life was impacted by his actions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fair amount of Sonic X on people's brain this year. Good idea, though.

I like how the reporter Lady(Scarlet?) interviewed an old Heavy Dog in the SA2 adaptation. 

Oh, and unpopular opinion: I actually kinda liked how they worked Chris into both.

On 6/4/2015 at 11:14 AM, E-122-Psi said:

Gamma I think was arguably the best handled in the anime (sadly marred in the dub version), I especially liked how they handled his ending. Amy complimented that well too. I liked that 'Lily' was more than just a wobbling model like Birdie was, emoting and connecting with her (it even cries about it's parents). There was more meaning to Gamma's sacrifice that way.

Oh yeah, they did add Amy meeting Big and witnessing Gamma's death. Those were nice.

On 6/5/2015 at 1:42 AM, shdowhunt60 said:

Or how they replaced the Tornado II/III with the hideous X-Tornado, because they goofed and gave Tails the Tornado II/III BEFORE the Adventure adapt.

Oops, lol.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Could we also throw in the Archie versions and Fleetway SA1? Fleetway SA1 went in a radically different direction, and from that and the Archie ones, I can understand why “Another Time, Another Place” became a thing, along with IDW apparently deciding the games happened “as-is”, but with some considerations for Three+ Worlds. 

Archie actually incorporated the newer lore into their extant universe rather well, but in some cases not well enough. 

I gotta get back to Fleetway at some point, since that's waaay off from what I understand.

As for Archie, yeah, that was pretty cool as well from what I remember. Even Gamma disappearing retroactively left the door open for Sonic Universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fleetway’s SA1 had Chaos being a Drakon prosecutor who was sealed inside the Master Emerald in ancient times. Sonic is brought back to the past by Tikal, where he learns that Knuckles was around during that time as a tribesman (before eventually, somehow winding up in the present day).

Chaos and the Knuckles Tribe were the only aspects to be carried over. There was no Station Square or Egg Carrier or anything.

Also, Big made a cameo near the end.

• Thumbs Up 1