Awoo.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (20th November 2015 / 3DS)

Junko

I've never played the Mystery Dungeon games (watched the anime specials tho XP) since I've heard mixed opinions on them but presentation wise this Mystery Dungeon looks really good! I'll see what the reviews are like and if it's decent I might pick it up as my first Mystery Dungeon title!

I thought I was the only one! I'm also thinking about giving this a go.

If the localized version leaves out gender choices again, I swear to God...

8.jpg

I like how the Hub Town looks so far.

Looks like Klefki may be in charge of opening Treasure Chests.

If the localized version leaves out gender choices again, I swear to God...

Wha? Why the hell would the English version leave out Pokémon gender choices? o_o

Wha? Why the hell would the English version leave out Pokémon gender choices? o_o

I really have no idea. Gender choice was a thing in the games before Gates to Infinity, though they also had that personality quiz that chose your Pokemon and gender was a big part of it, in Gates, they just let you choose what Pokemon and gender you and your partner was. The omission of gender entirely in the localized version of Gates was bizarrely arbitrary.

I really have no idea. Gender choice was a thing in the games before Gates to Infinity, though they also had that personality quiz that chose your Pokemon and gender was a big part of it, in Gates, they just let you choose what Pokemon and gender you and your partner was. The omission of gender entirely in the localized version of Gates was bizarrely arbitrary.

I think it was because of the personality quiz. I believe you could choose your gender in GoI's Japanese version, but in the first 2 games, your gender also played a part in what Pokemon you wanted. Want to be a Chikorita but you're a male and answering those questions truthfully? Never going to happen.

I think it was because of the personality quiz. I believe you could choose your gender in GoI's Japanese version, but in the first 2 games, your gender also played a part in what Pokemon you wanted. Want to be a Chikorita but you're a male and answering those questions truthfully? Never going to happen.

I always said 'screw it' with answering honestly and just tried to get the Pokemon I actually wanted.

Anyway, hell yes, a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game!

I love the PMD games. I'd rank them as one of my favorite spin-off series, honestly. Yes, the gameplay is simple and repetitive at times, but the stories have been better-written and more emotionally-captivating than what we've got in the main games.

The art's looking nice. It could be smoother, but maybe it'll look better when I actually look at it on the 3DS screen. I mean, the sixth gen games looked fantastic, so hopefully this one will as well. Hub world looks nice.

And it looks like we're going to have a wide choice of starters again. Good. I hated the fact that Gates to Infinity was limited to the BW starters, Pikachu, and Axe. Nothing against those Pokemon, but I wanted to be a Charmander dammit! Good to know there seems to be much more of a variety of Pokemon in general than the last installment.

And please tell me this game is going to have good music. Rescue Team has one of my favorite soundtracks in gaming and the rest of the series have yet to dissapoint me in this field as well.

Looking forward to this one!

• Thumbs Up 3

They didn't remove it, they refer to you as a male no matter what you are in... I'm not sure where, but I think it might have been in the postgame?

Anyways, this looks great! Are those multiple towns I see? Because that would be amazing. Shaymin Village in Explorers, while small, was really fun to go to.

Anyways, there's more stuff now.

tumblr_npa1d4wWIN1qkl2pjo1_500.png

tumblr_npa1d4wWIN1qkl2pjo2_400.jpg

tumblr_npa1d4wWIN1qkl2pjo3_400.jpg

tumblr_npa1d4wWIN1qkl2pjo4_400.jpg

tumblr_npa1d4wWIN1qkl2pjo5_400.jpg

Pokemon turning to stone... Well, that sounds ominous.

I wasn't all that bothered by the limited Pokes in Gates to Infinity because the typing was still spread pretty evenly, but I guess they realized they didn't have an excuse anymore when X/Y provided a 3D model for every Pokemon ever.

Okay, I've moved onto Explorers of Darkness since I last posted, and it's become pretty adamantly clear to me that these games really need some ability to send recruited teammates off on missions while the main party is off doing other things. Because you're going to be using the same two Pokemon nearly the entire game anyway, it's really hard to get supporting team members anywhere near as strong as them, to the point that it's often more efficient just to recruit stronger members than to train the ones you already have. Hell, that's not even accounting for story missions where you can't even take other Pokes in for some reason - I was just forced to do 5-6 dungeons as me and my partner alone, and by the time I came back out I was practically 10 levels stronger than anyone else in my team.

Obviously I have no idea how this game's going to handle partners and story missions, but being able to send everyone off to do work independently would be a massive help. Hell, just make the player and his partner build up a whole guild ala Wigglytuff and work with that. I'd hit it.

...Why is this a bad thing again? It's not like the other games in the series EVER mentioned your gender. Like, ever. Besides, it seems like you can kind of choose the gender of your partner with the whole 'cool/cute' thing ala Animal Crossing.

Actually, having played Blue Mystery Dungeon lately, I'm pretty sure the game refers to you as an it at some point. That... makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, not gonna lie.

For how trivial it would be to impliment I'm not sure where there isn't an option for it. How the hell does Attract work if there isn't even any set genders?

I guess for things like Attract it's one thing.....

Though, I do believe they mentioned something in the most recent Treehouse about the personality test. Maybe you'll pick your gender there?

• 3 weeks later...

Boxart looks cool. Mega Charizard Y is always a plus.

Figures they'd incorporate the Mega-Evolutions in this one. Anyone willing to guess they'll make Mega Stones attainable post-game for clearing certain dungeons?

EDIT: Also seems Giratina might be integral to the plot this time around judging from that one brief cutscene with his shadow appearing.

• 2 weeks later...

img_01.jpg

A load of new information and screenshots have been released about Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. Information is currently being translated but we have added the new screenshots to our pre-release screenshot gallery which can be found by clicking the link:
-Connection Orbs have replaced the previous Discussion Board. As you make friends, you can do requests. This is seen with the web of Pokémon seen during previous trailers. You can even find Legendary Pokémon through this. When you have completed a task for a Pokémon, it opens up paths for more tasks, and more and more and so forth.

-You can use the Majin Lamp item to summon Hoopa into a dungeon. It can be either form and can call in various Legendary Pokémon as assistants

-Some character details have been revealed, too. As revealed at the Treehouse Live event at E3, Pancham and Shelmet are bullies at a local Pokémon school, often picking on Goomy. Deerling is popular among the class, but is very blunt. Espurr is an intelligent student at the school. Simipour is the principal of the school in the town and seems to understand the children. Watchog is the vice principal. Audino is the doctor who heals you, is often serious but ends things in a joke and Farfetch'd is a serious teacher.

So it seems like we might be part of some Academy.

Interested in how the Connection Orbs will contrast from the Request Board. 

EDIT: Some New Official Artwork from the Japanese Website

img_01.jpg

img_02.jpg

img_03.jpg

img_01.jpg

EDIT #2: New Coro Coro Information

-Mega Pokemon can break down the walls in Dungeons

There are new items called Lapis and Ringle. The Ringle is a hold item which has Lapis put into it. Lapis can only be found in dungeons and disappear when you leave the dungeon. An example is the Power Up Lapis which increases your Pokémon's strength and Protect Up reduces damage received and Barrage Protect protects you from multiple hits in a turn

Edited by Sonictrainer

• 1 month later...

The US release date is November 20th, while releasing in Japan on September 17th.

No word on the official European date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game is now out in Japan.

It turns out that if you don't like the Pokemon the Personality Quiz gives you, you now have the option to cancel it and pick your own Starter manually.

• Thumbs Up 2