Awoo.

The MOTHER Series Topic (No Crying Until The Lock)

PSI Wind

The Mother series is probably what I would call a good experience, but not a good game. There's a lot of things I like about them, but all of those qualities tend to be offset by the archaic battles, the obnoxious difficulty, and a very common tendency to get lost. As much as I like EarthBound, I wouldn't call it a favorite RPG of mine by a long shot. There are other games I think do similar things the Mother series attempts, but in a much more fun way.

I'm glad I played them, but they're not that fun honestly. I get much more frustration out of them than enjoyment. I would buy a collection if it were released, but mostly due to its novelty. Itoi is a very talented storyteller, but I feel his abilities would be much better complemented in an RPG better suited for the masses. I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to risk another physical release in the west.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Mother series is probably what I would call a good experience, but not a good game. There's a lot of things I like about them, but all of those qualities tend to be offset by the archaic battles, the obnoxious difficulty, and a very common tendency to get lost. As much as I like EarthBound, I wouldn't call it a favorite RPG of mine by a long shot. There are other games I think do similar things the Mother series attempts, but in a much more fun way.

You really think so? I'm kind of surprised, actually.

The battles are pretty basic, yeah, but I think they got it right in Mother 3: The Slotmaschine Healthbar is really unique and sometimes even thrilling (if your partymember is basically killed, but you can still heal him if the slotmaschine counter didn't hit zero yet) and the Rhythm attacks add something too. Sure, those things don't make battles complex or anything, but I think it's really enjoyable. Plus, the "Kill an enemy from behind and get the EXP immediately" method in Earthbound is great.

Getting lost.. Again, something Mother 1 didn't do well since it rarely told you how to progress, but Earthbound and Mother 3 did a great job with that. I have to admit, there was one time I got lost in Earthbound and I had to search for a while, but it's not like it was a common problem or something.

And difficulty... Sure, you have to grind a lot in Mother 1, but yet again: Earthbound and Mother 3 weren't bad in that regard. Yes, I still had to grind for a bit, but not much, not much at all.

I don't get those complaints, really. In regards of Mother 1, I completely agree with those complaints, that game aged really badly. But I think Earthbound and Mother 3 (especially Mother 3) did a great job in ironing out those mistakes and are still great games, even to this day.

• Thumbs Up 4

If there's an entry I think ironed out most of the things I complained about, it's Mother 3. I played the first two games almost back to back, and even in EarthBound I encountered several instances where I had to stop what I was doing and grind for a while, which is a major reason why I can't really get into most JRPGs, but it felt especially more of a hassle here, because even with all the time I put into battles, I still struggled during the middle of and late into the game.

Also not a fan of how "randomized" battles feel at times. Often an enemy would throw me a curveball and if I can't go back to level up some more, I have to hope that he doesn't use that attack on my next attempt.

Admittedly I've only played Mother 3 up to Lucas's second or third chapter, but it felt easier and less reliant on levelgrinding up to that point. It's still very difficult for me to play though, mostly due to the presentation inherent in the series.

I'm glad I played them, but they're not that fun honestly. I get much more frustration out of them than enjoyment. I would buy a collection if it were released, but mostly due to its novelty. Itoi is a very talented storyteller, but I feel his abilities would be much better complemented in an RPG better suited for the masses. I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to risk another physical release in the west.

Isn't that an anti piracy method? Considering how stupidly expensive it is nowdays, I'm assuming you played it on an emulator.

ah, ok.

I've never played Earthbound, or Mother, or whatever you prefer to call it. But I've seen a lot of stuff about it, and it looks pretty weird.

I think this might be a (possibly remastered) compilation of all three games. If it's for 3DS, imagine those neon PSI attacks in 3D... great light show there, I tells ya.

Also, how many are willing to bet this will be Japan only? Or that America will get it, but Europe will be considered to be full of lowly peasants who don't deserve it, and therefore it will not get it?

As much as some people may not want to admit it, Nintendo has had reasons for not pushing for more western releases of the series. Mother 1 was localized well past the NES's lifespan, EarthBound bombed, and Mother 3 was one of the last major GBA games in Japan, so its situation with M1 was similar in that it was far too late to localize it and expect any return. EarthBound hasn't seen light on the US/EU Virtual Console due to music issues. Not to mention that the series is fairly niche outside of Japan; its popularity lies squarely with its fanbase and the "controversies" surrounding its lack of localization.

I'd like to believe there is a good chance for a western localization of a Mother compilation for the 3DS, but I don't expect it to do amazingly well in sales.

Lately, I've been reading through a screenshot LP of Mother 1 (as well as watching some gameplay videos, on the side), and I must say this: it certainly doesn't look like a game that I would be able to put up with after a while. I mean, even by the standards of the time it was released in, it looks rather ... well, boring. Mainly, I can't say that I'm exactly cool with all the random encounters; granted, I never did like random encounters in any game, but this game is positively crazy about them, especially near the endgame!

• Thumbs Up 1

I played through Earthbound on an emulator a long time ago.  Y'know, this game is somewhat of an enigma for me.  It has some of the most basic, uninteresting gameplay one can ask for in an RPG.  But for some reason I just really like it.  It's probably the atmosphere.  It's so quirky and weird, yet it's kinda creepy at times, with some genuinely creepy music at times.  It all just feels very unique.  Sometimes it's funny, other times it's unsettling.  I like that.

The gameplay is nothing special at all, but the quirky and odd nature of its world keep me hooked.

I've been meaning to play through Mother 3 on an emulator, but I haven't gotten very far.  The gameplay is a bit more interesting; there is a rhythm element to combat, and there are a few other nice additions here and there.  But it hasn't really sucked me in like Earthbound did.  The story might be a bit better plot-wise - it seems more solidly paced with a bit more complexity - but it feels like it's missing some of the creepy quirkiness of EB.

In a gameplay sense, I can see where some of you would find them very boring.  In EB's case, I personally look past that since I love everything else about it - something almost no other RPG can get me to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later...
  • Nintendo sent out a Nintendo Direct!

(skip to 22:10)

• "We're bringing EarthBound to the VC in America and Europe!"

• The EarthBound fans went wild!

• Nintendo's awesomeness went up by 255!

• Oh baby! That rocks!
Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 6

Those really are the best news today IMO. Not only does Earthbound get finally re-released and we can buy it for a price that isn't incredibly expensive (I assume...), it happened because Earthbound fans showed their love for the game and Nintendo listened! I just can't describe how good that feels. I will pick it up right when it is released.

Earthbound for Wii U? *fangasms*

EDIT: 250th post! w00t

Edited by Sheriff Woody

I really hope this turn of events motivates Nintendo to get some Mother 1 and 3 (3 at the very least) translations over to the west, and maybe even make a fourth installment in the coming years

I really hope this turn of events motivates Nintendo to get some Mother 1 and 3 (3 at the very least) translations over to the west, and maybe even make a fourth installment in the coming years

Or ask Tomato to let them use his translation :V

Yeah, that's weird. If it wasn't music or something, then why did Nintendo take so damn long to release it overseas? o_O

Anyway, I'm so happy to hear this is coming out in Europe! Instead of paying more than a 100 dollars on a cartridge, I can play it on the Wii U for a much cheaper price! TwT

• 2 months later...

EarthBound's gameplay is very basic, but with the "fast text" option I find it pretty fun since the battles can take place at such a high speed. Plus, the dialogue when fighting enemies can be pretty dang funny; and its not as much of a pain whenever you level up some and go back to places (I thought it was great that when you're more powerful, weaker enemies actually run away from you :V ).

I don't know, this game has a really.. I guess special feeling to it. Like, its really emotional, and weird; because its VERY funny and clever but at the same time there's this lingering bittersweet and somewhat sad feeling under it all (as well as that "looming sense of pure evil" feeling most HAL games have (especially at their endgame)). What the Mother series doesn't have in gameplay it basically makes up for with amazingly good stories (with insanely good writing), wonderful sense of atmosphere, charming art style and really really good soundtracks.

That said, I still need to actually play Mother 1 and 3. I mostly read up and watched footage of them, but I'm waiting to experience them fully after I'm done with EarthBound, which I think I'm 3/4s the way through with. But yeah, EarthBound. It's great; and if anyone really gets that interested in playing it and has a Wii U I'd suggest purchasing it to help support getting the first and third ones outside of Japan too.

Edited by Azookara

Mother 1 is incredibly dated. It has terrible difficulty balance (even moreso than EarthBound ever did), minimal story in comparison to the sequel unless you play the GBA translation, and it's even more confusing on where to go than in the later games. Using a guide is practically mandatory at several points.

I had the advantage of playing Mother 1 before EarthBound, so I wasn't phased by these differences quite as much as I would been had I played EarthBound first like most people.

Also, here's a tip for anyone who's playing EarthBound the first time. Minor non-story spoilers, but I'm adding the tag just in case people don't want to know, but I still recommend looking into it if you want to avoid making a dumb mistake later on.

There's a point in which the game asks for your name. Input your real name (just your first one). Don't use a nickname or some jokey name. You'll regret it if you do.