Awoo.

Dr. Strangehog, or How I Learned to Stop Being Cynical and Just Enjoy Sonic Games (aka The Cynicism Topic)

T-Min

Losing Pontac and Graff means we lose their Eggman; I don't think I can handle that yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

With it all laid out right there, it's really not hard to see why we, as a forum and as a fanbase, are for the most part quite cynical. Those are the general statements. So I guess here are the personal questions:

Do you think this is deserved?

How much faith do you have in Sonic right now?

Do you agree with the cynicism, and if so, what would it really take to restore your faith?

Would it just take a good game on the level of Generations - polished, pretty, well-designed, and fun, but ultimately safe - or do you need something more ambitious and grand to reignite your interest?

Do you think that the supposedly well-received games like Colors and Generations were ultimately part of the problem in and of themselves, or that they simply weren't enough? Or do you think they marked a renaissance and that what came afterwards didn't negate it?

Is there anything specific you want from the series that you think you will get at some point in the future?

Did you, perhaps, enjoy Lost World and/or Rise of Lyric, and therefore very little of this applies to you at all?

I guess what it all boils down to is: Do you think the cynicism is justified (wholly or partially) or not, and why?

While I am still fairly optimistic about the series, I can agree that the massive amounts of criticism is well-deserved. Though I feel that some of the criticism comes off as nonsensical bashing of the games but most people do have pretty valid reasons why the recent games aren't too great.

As I said before, I still have pretty high hopes for the series but that's probably because I don't share the mass amount of dissapointment most members here have but even then, I haven't lost ALL faith in the series. Though Lost World and Rise of Lyric were a bit underwhelming for me and were not great games, especially Rise of Lyric.

I agree with some of the cynicism but I feel that some are a bit too cynical and aren't really all that constructive and again, just give me a good game with overall good everything and I'm fine but if they are a bit lacking in some aspects but overall has more hits than misses, I can still enjoy it.

I can enjoy a good game that's fairly safe and I'm sure most people can agree with that but if the series want to be back at a pedestal, it has to be grand and very ambitous like Sonic Unleashed.

I'm going to go with the latter, Colors and Generations are good games but due to the fact, they were playing it pretty safe, Sonic Team couldn't go all out with it. Also there's my personal issues with these 2 games as well, Colors, while a good game, isn't a good Sonic game. Very slow-paced and traditional platforming, a story that could be very fun to watch is filled with pretty crummy jokes, a very floaty double jump that can be troublesome in some segments and etc. Generations has probably one of the worst stories in the series because of how painfully basic and dull it was, it was very dissapointing. The game also lacks any worthwhile content and just feels incredibily underwhelming.

There are some aspects I think that will happen eventually once Sonic Team finds a playstyle that's flexible and fun (which the Boost lacks the former). Once they do find that playstyle, I can expect multiple characters, a better written story and the obvious things the series rarely fails, great visuals and music! In the meantime, I can be satisfied with the Archie comics and the Boom TV show until then.

I did enjoy both, Lost World and Rise of Lyric actually. People might probably might laugh at me for saying this but I'll honest with myself, despite knowing that RoL was a bad game, it was pretty fun to play especially when you play it with co-op! The combat in that game was fairly diverse though the Werehog had much more moves but it's FAR MUCH better than 06's pitiful and dull excuse for combat. Lost World U is a game that I can't see myself enjoy but I don't really hate it either, I just don't find myself liking the game a whole lot. It really does suffer due to the massive amounts of experimentation and lacks very little sense of direction of what it wants to be. Heck, I found the 3DS version better than the U version but then again, another laughable unpopular opnion. Guess I'm full of it. :/

Overall, the series is a shadow of its former self but I still don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. And I also very much agree with the complaints of the series but I just wish some people can be a bit more constructive with their complaints instead of nonsensically whine about how the latest game sucks ass and there's nothing worthwhile when it there is something worthwhile to it. Again, just saying my thoughts out loud.

My view is more nuanced than complete positivity or cynicism. There's certain things I'm confident about and others that I'm...well, not.

Getting the negatives out of the way first...

I don't think we'll be seeing a game in the near future that has a lot of my biggest wishes for the series. I do think ST might surprise me there; in fact, I'm fairly confident they probably want to make games that would do these things, but with the current position SEGA is in these days, I can't say I expect much. When it comes down to it I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than constantly hoping for Sonic Adventure 3 certain things that aren't likely.

On the other hand, I'm not outright unhappy with the way things are. My apathy towards the Boom games aside, there hasn't really been anything to turn me off the series since '06. I'm still generally interested in seeing what Sonic Team does next even if there's a lot of things they could do that would make me even more enthusiastic about new games in the series. Until that happens I'll just have fun with the games and hopefully have fun discussing them.

Also, it helps that there's the comics, the Boom cartoon, fan works, and other Sonic stuff that I enjoy. Even if something happens with games, I can always just shrug it off and focus on something else in the franchise instead until the series is back on track. Such is the beauty of long-running franchises that have presence in multiple mediums, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 4

but there is absolutely no excuse for games like Sonic Colors being considered the standard for this series in this day and age.

It was a good, solid game that was well liked by the general public and scored well with most critics, so...i don't know, SHOULDNT that be the standard??? Shouldnt we WANT consistent good games. Now i get what you're saying that the games should be like Mario Galaxy level quality on every release (ive long since given up on that idea personally) and the series shouldnt settle for just "good"  but I have no real idea why Sonic Colors of ALL games is the one that's considered "unacceptable" as the standard, of all the games in the series you could pick out.  Games like SLW shoulnt be the standard (highly experimental, flawed, etc), games like Colors should be what the basic requirements for the series should be, ie a good game at least.

As for my own cycnism there's not much to say. I thought SLW was fine if very flawed, Boom is so far removed from the regular series I can just pretend it doesnt exist. I still really liked Gens and Colors and don't retroactively find anything obscenely wrong with them like a lot of people in this topic do. Episode II, Free Riders, the Olympic games are just minor bullshit that doesnt matter. Pontac and Graff arent the best writers but I have no real hate towards them since they actually HAVE done some good here and there (I have thought, will think, and always thing that Sonic today is more entertaining and more fun then he's ever been in the main games since SA2, Eggman also). So like...idk man, im just waiting for the next game and hope it's good. I dabble in other places and fandoms until the next game is announced (heck if anything ive kinda gotten more cynical and jaded towards fandom which is why I don't take part in Sonic discussion almost at all anymore). 

I don't buy the idea that Sega "doesnt care", or at the vey least Sonic Team doesnt care, they do care, they wouldnt trying making a completley new brand for Sonic if they didnt care, they wouldnt try experimenting with diffrent things in one game if they didnt care, they wouldnt have a Con specifically for Sonic and Sonic fans if they didnt care. Im not saying they were all the RIGHT choices to make that yeilded in sucsess, I just dont go with the mindset of "I dont like this thing that they did, ie they dont care about Sonic because they're not focusing on what I like about the series".

Overall id just say, add some fucking characters besides Sonic back in this series please.

Am I missing something with Sonic here then? Because I'm pretty sure that going for not only that Conch but also that trap capsule when Tails told him to lay off both of them perfectly audibly comes off as pretty idiotic to me.

Except in the first case, Sonic was already halfway to the Conch before Tails began to explain anything, and Sonic was already moving to the capsule and Tails literally didnt have time to say anything which is why he took the bullet for him. Fair enough if you think that was idiotic of him (even though if it was ANY OTHER instance Sonic would've been right to do those things he did, hence why he probably figured it would be fine) but then that just goes back to him having some flaws, flaws that he DOES address later on verbally. It's why he swallows his own pride and works with Eggman despite Tails' protests, because he knows he messed up and doesn't want to do so again. It just kinda bugs me that people are so quick to throw Pontac!Sonic under the bus for being a shallow "flanderization" but when he finally does show some hidden depths it's just swept under the rug, but that's not the topic for this argument.

• Thumbs Up 5

While I enjoy looking up peoples' opinion on the games from time to time, a long time ago I learned that it just matters what you like, and don't hold your breath on getting what you want when the next Sonic game comes around the corner. Thanks to SEGA and their seemingly countless attempts at tackling Sonic in a new direction, it has split the series in soooo many fractions that it would be impossible to please everybody. Of course by nature you couldn't do that with any game for any franchise, but Sonic's fanbase is so split up that pleasing even the large majority is a hard task. Throw in that they still don't know what to do with the hedgehog and everybody is just a confused mess.

All fans what something specific. Some may be genius ideas, some may be genius ideas on paper, and some might just be plan stupid. Regardless if SEGA listens to any of this is beyond me, but I personally feel that the only way people are going to somewhat stop being cynical of Sonic is that they stick with one pretty solid idea and put all their money in to evolve it slowly game by game. They somewhat did this with Unleash's style and while the fanbase is pretty split on that game, it's what went on to create Colors and Generations, two Sonic games that most argue are the best in Sonic's 3D history.

My own personal cynicism? Boom needs to be done and over with as a game series at the least, since Sonic isn't successful enough as a game franchise to have multiple universes, I think anyway. Concentration on idea core idea would be fantastic to me, and I honestly see a lot of potential in combining Lost World and Unleash's style. I'm a firm believer that the Adventure style wasn't as great as our nostalgia goggles make them out to be and isn't going to translate well to modern gaming. Honing in on a visual style not unlike the Genesis era or Lost World in conjunction with polishing a workable gameplay style will potentially help it gain traction to be a large "everybody" game again like what Mario is to many.

But like I said, I'm just one of the few fish of many, and while I have what I'd think would be grand, could be balls to many others, and that's fine. I can say one thing that the Sonic franchise is always a surprise at least since we never know what's around the corner, but I wish SEGA wouldn't take stereotypical Sonic theme song lyrics so literally about "not looking back," since they need to figure out something :v

• Thumbs Up 2

It's difficult for me to NOT be cynical about Sonic because as Sami, Verte and Kuzu mentioned already the series is just not the same anymore. This isn't the Sonic I fell in love with all those years ago but a shadow of gameplay cliches and copying off other, better platformers like Mario. The lacklustre stories, boost2win and sola Sonica started to get tiring even when Generations came out and I won't be surprised if the next game ends up much the same.

Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom were the last straw for me and I've lost almost all interest in any forthcoming Sonic games. Fuck the SEGA PR who've said for all these years "we know Sonic, we know his roots blablabla" because it's all BS!

• Thumbs Up 3

It was a good, solid game that was well liked by the general public and scored well with most critics, so...i don't know, SHOULDNT that be the standard??? Shouldnt we WANT consistent good games. Now i get what you're saying that the games should be like Mario Galaxy level quality on every release (ive long since given up on that idea personally) and the series shouldnt settle for just "good"  but I have no real idea why Sonic Colors of ALL games is the one that's considered "unacceptable" as the standard, of all the games in the series you could pick out.  Games like SLW shoulnt be the standard (highly experimental, flawed, etc), games like Colors should be what the basic requirements for the series should be, ie a good game at least.

I think you misinterpreted my original statement a bit(which tends to happen a lot online unfortunately, yay anonymity). I didn't say that to imply that games like Sonic Colors are bad(which is something I said in  the rest of my original post that you so conveniently ignored :V) I said that because every game after Colors has modeled itself after it; the simplistic, and lackadaisical approach with no real ambition behind its design than to simply get by on standard conventions. 

You're right, games like Colors are basic and should be the bare minimum of what's acceptable, but the problem the series hasn't done anything to break out of the mold it has created and has just decided to model itself after it and sit complacent. I don't really thing anyone should be satisfied with a series, Sonic or any other franchise, doing the bare minimum to succeed. One or two games is fine, but we've had three games with this approach, so I think some people have a right to get fed up if they never care for this approach in the first place. 

And going off a bit here. Soniman, why do you constantly single out the smallest and most insignificant parts of posts? Out of everything I said, you single out my one criticism of Sonic Colors, after I said I never thought they were bad games and wholly admitted they were good and functional. Look, I'll quote it just so you can see:

Its not even like I feel the games are bad, they're fun and perfectly functional games and that is honestly what the series needed after putting out shovelware for years, but there is absolutely no excuse for games like Sonic Colors being considered the standard for this series in this day and age.

Like holy shit dude. Normally I'd just blow this off, but you constantly do the same thing all of the time. I'm really tired of having to explain myself like this. I get it, you like Sonic Colors, you probably think its god's gift to the series and you are perfectly free to feel that way. But stop taking even the smallest bit of criticism about it and blowing it out of proportion.

Its just a video game dude, chill out lol.

Like holy shit dude. Normally I'd just blow this off, but you constantly do the same thing all of the time. I'm really tired of having to explain myself like this. I get it, you like Sonic Colors, you probably think its god's gift to the series and you are perfectly free to feel that way. But stop taking even the smallest bit of criticism about it and blowing it out of proportion.

Its just a video game dude, chill out lol.

://

Okay fine, whatever you say. I wasnt trying to attack you, I was just asking or clarification on why it shouldnt be the "acceptable standard" but yeah fine, take it as a personal thing if you want. Ill just be scarce again

I did, hence my last post. 

ANYWHO, yea. Like I said. Games like Colors are the bare minimum of what I'd want out of the series. 

You mean that last post that was completely dismissive towards him and dodged the core of the issue altogether? I read it, and my point still stands. Tone down the shitty attitude to people, and I'm talking in regards to your whole attitude, not just in this topic. Everyone is sick of it.

• Thumbs Up 9

I wouldn't count a dismissive and smug "lol whatever" as knocking it off. :V

Personally while I am more critical of Colours nowadays I don't think it's unacceptable standard for the series, at least in the sense that I'm fine with Sonic Team B's games being smaller scale. The problem is that SEGA doesn't market these games as being smaller titles, and of course they're priced just as highly as games like Unleashed and Generations. Fix these issues and, well, maybe people wouldn't have been quite as upset about more experimental titles like Lost World. Maybe.

• Thumbs Up 2

You mean that last post that was completely dismissive towards him and dodged the core of the issue altogether? I read it, and my point still stands. Tone down the shitty attitude to people, and I'm talking in regards to your whole attitude, not just in this topic. Everyone is sick of it.

I don't feel like I was being actively malicious or trying to attack anyone, and if you feel I was, then I'll apologize and work on it. Cool. ok.

So how did we get here? What really went wrong? 

tumblr_nlqe0sOgUq1sgbu3ro1_500.jpg

What went wrong is we have a fucking idiot who acts like he's a visionary or some shit and has to make every game unique rather than make 1 coherent style and mix it up.

I don't get it. Why is it so fucking hard to say "Momentum, rolling, running, platforming" Instead of "Alien Transformations, Parkour, QTES, Waggle controls, OSU! in RPG form. Just make sure it has boost pads"

As much shit as I give it, I think they had something going with Heroes. But no, let's fucking scrap that and turn Shadow into Donte before Donte, give him guns, that the shit kids love.

I don't fucking understand. I really fucking don't understand why these goddamn morons can't take a fucking hint after a decade and a half.

• Thumbs Up 3

Personally while I am more critical of Colours nowadays I don't think it's unacceptable standard for the series, at least in the sense that I'm fine with Sonic Team B's games being smaller scale. The problem is that SEGA doesn't market these games as being smaller titles, and of course they're priced just as highly as games like Unleashed and Generations. Fix these issues and, well, maybe people wouldn't have been quite as upset about more experimental titles like Lost World. Maybe.

To be fair, Colors was apparently not even the main attraction of that year anyway since they kept downplaying it as something more for children and Sonic 4 as a title for the hardcore. Pricing would have somewhat addressed the issue in that it would've tempered expectations about the rough value of the product, but with that game's success and the subsequent use of its general design principles going forward, the price isn't actually the only issue. 

The entire series has taken on the direction of even more simplistic stories, a more easy-going gameplay direction and lack of challenge (there practically isn't a difficulty curve anymore; the same skill threshold you went in with is the same skill threshold you basically need going out, meaning it's six hours of just doing the same thing over and over without being called on to be tested or learn something new that adds depth or novelty to the current proceedings), the outright refusal of marrying these two things into one experience, and the eschewing of or the inability to achieve the mechanical depth of something like Mario or even Rayman to make up for this disconnect.

For fans of the elements, philosophies, and titles of the older direction, there is very little for these new games to offer to actually stimulate us. There's no challenge because the games refuse to give us one since they're moreso for smaller children versus a wide family audience consisting of younger and older players. There's no sense of adventure because we're not being given constant reason for why we're going from place to place or partaking in most particular stages. There's no interesting story to witness firsthand because Sonic Team refuses to write one with any real intrigue or plotting under the guise that we're not supposed to care to that extent. And of course the rest of the characters have been abandoned, so anyone who actually likes anyone else aside from Sonic, Tails, and Eggman has less of a reason to be entertained.

Further frustration occurs when it basically feels like you're arguing against the idea of sheer technical competency. Colors and Generations not being bug-fests or inconsistent in design comes across as literally the only things mattering to a gameplay experience. Subsequently, debating against this come across as fans simply not caring that the games got mechanically better or wanting something that is worse, when really this is, in a way, irrelevant. Sonic Team doing their base job of not sending out a broken product, to me, is like over-praising a window worker at a fast food joint for merely giving me my food. This is the most basic responsibility of the job, and thus it's not something that calls much attention to yourself. As a result, I don't remember most people giving me my food. But I do remember the people that go above and beyond to actually smile at me or host a small conversation. It's not that we don't want good games, or are even incapable of appreciating what good games have done for the franchise's reputation. We want the technical competency of today with the continuity and challenge of the past.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 7

I just want to be mesmerised by a Sonic game again. In this case, Mario never disappoints because those games always try new things yet they still focus on what makes Mario important; the platforming. Sonic is just...eh. It's not ambitious anymore, it's always the same bland game nowadays and what gimmicks they have usually fall flat on their face.

• Thumbs Up 1

last sonic game i was hyped was Unleashed because of how much I loved Sonic rush and Sonic Rush Adventure. it did turn a bit disappointing. Yet is sonic fast on these 2 new games? i do not believe this, l enjoyed also Sonic Colors and Generation, what did bother me in Colors was the map screen but maybe i do go too much far. am just someone who enjoyed sonic games as the best. yet i dont see anything hype about sonic boom or Lost world.

Like I said in my "Is Sonic Team 2015 passionate and have an understanding of the series?" topic that was lost to the wipeout, the big problem is that no one aside from fans like Taxman seem to know how to make a proper Sonic game anymore. Sonic Team seems to only be able to make something passable when they play it safe and barebones, Dimps hasn't made anything worthwhile in a long time and Bioware wasn't able to make even an RPG that knows how to make the genre fun(And that's sad, they're freaking Bioware).

You would think ex Naughty Dog developers would be able to bring back that edge, but even BRB failed us.

Unless SEGA finds a developer that knows the series and what makes it good, I don't think the cynicism is ever gonna stop, neither it should, cause like I always say, if we ourselves don't demand high quality then SEGA won't either.

• Thumbs Up 1

People have been demanding high quality since 06 and yet the best games to come out since them are barely popular around here anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because there's more to a good game than just technical polish. Design, tone, and intent matter as well, because we want our emotions stimulated beyond what clean code can give. It's the reason why just about every person here has a favorite game that isn't Tetris, even though by all accounts Tetris is the most perfectly designed game we have. Hell, did Tetris even show up on the Top 100 List at all?

• Thumbs Up 4