Awoo.

Earth: Year 2066 "Looks like Terminator & Johnny Five's lovechild"

Badnik Mechanic

• 3 weeks later...

Unless Steam decides to get their shit together it's more like "we have some time till the next nightmare arrives"

Unless Steam decides to get their shit together it's more like "we have some time till the next nightmare arrives"

Well at least this mess is over with, I honestly hope that the creator of this POS gets his account banned, this wasn't just some prank after all this was a misleading scam to rip people off.

*Reads Kotaku article*

Good. I'm glad Valve took the game down. My hope is that this scum is charged for his crimes against humanity for releasing this "thing" on Steam.

EDIT: Okay, before more people take that last comment I made the wrong way. It would supposed to be a joke, a really stupid one, but it still it came off really stupid. I really should've worded that last comment better. Of course I don't want that developer to be jailed or anything. I'm sorry if you guys thought the comment came off rather ignorant.

But in all honesty, that's still no excuse for the game to come out the way it did and being charged $19.99. I'm still glad Valve pulled the game off of Steam and rightfully so. I still wonder what'll happen to the developer after this false marketing though.

Edited by Electro Pipe

The thing is...

They pulled this due to false advertising.

Not for the developers abuse of the moderating system. Not for the price point. Not for the quality of the game. Not for the main problems it showed both as a game and as Steam's Greenlight service.

• Thumbs Up 5

To be fair, you can't really police subjectively bad games, even horrendous ones like this.  The developers being shitty and abusing features to make the game look better... that is crappy behaviour but it is a separate thing from the product itself (not like certain much bigger companies aren't guilty of this - doesn't justify it but point is no-one ever gets away with it).  And of course, developers are entitled to charge as much as they like for their product - again, it's not a thing that you can objectively police.

False advertising is the one thing Valve can safely and objectively say that justifies taking the product down and offering refunds.  Valve are already aware of the issues with Greenlight but it's probably hard to address them when a load of games are currently at various different points towards release throughout the system.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing is...

They pulled this due to false advertising.

Not for the developers abuse of the moderating system.

One could argue the latter falls under the former to an extent. At least as far as Muxwell's moderating is concerned anyway, IE: editing universal criticism into blind, unfaltering praise, and getting his pals in on it to make the game sound better than it really is.

On one hand I say let these idiots dig their own grave and prevent themselves from ever making a profitable game again, but on another, frankly, I don't think they should be given this much control over steam forums to start with if it's getting to such an extent that it's starting to affect Valve's reputation on top of their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, you can't really police subjectively bad games, even horrendous ones like this.  The developers being shitty and abusing features to make the game look better... that is crappy behaviour but it is a separate thing from the product itself (not like certain much bigger companies aren't guilty of this - doesn't justify it but point is no-one ever gets away with it).  And of course, developers are entitled to charge as much as they like for their product - again, it's not a thing that you can objectively police.

False advertising is the one thing Valve can safely and objectively say that justifies taking the product down and offering refunds.  Valve are already aware of the issues with Greenlight but it's probably hard to address them when a load of games are currently at various different points towards release throughout the system.

Kinda like how they eventually nailed Al Capone on tax, I guess?  Many crimes were committed, but only one was definitely proveable.

The issue I have with the way Steam is currently set up and how theres a lack of control is that it goes against why steam was so great to begin with and a big problem games have in general.

Buying games, be it in store or via an online store/service require a lot from the buyer in terms of knowledge on the game or how the service works in order to find out if the game you are buying is in a playable state.

For example, if you get a game on the PSN, XBLA or the Nintendo store, you are at least guaranteed that the game will run, that it'll work. Though you can't guarantee there won't be any bugs or major issues. Odds are if it's on there it'll work and be functional, though there are one or two examples where stuff on there doesn't work or has major problems (fallout 3's DLC comes to mind).

However, because it has some kind of QA on it, despite it being a closed network it does stop this wild west style of service which Steam is slowly turning into. Anyone can get their game on a professional looking store front which has established itself as being the place to go for games.

But now it requires that the buyer checks and checks again to make sure that the game is likely to be in a working acceptable state as well as that it's from a developer who knows what they're doing.... 

And as of two hours ago... that it actually stands a chance of being a finished product!

Steam needs both a form of quality control and some way to respond to stuff like this quicker. Developers should not have as much power on their forums as they currently do, certainly not so that it allows for them to censor and remove criticism of their products.

• Thumbs Up 3