Awoo.

The Best of the Rest?

Kuzu

So with the confirmation that Boom is its own continuity, that generally means there is some free reign with the characters this time. While the basic personalities and dynamics seem to be the same among the current characters, there are some noticeable changes; Amy seems less Sonic crazed, no mention at all about the Master Emerald.

So it could stand to reason that some of the other characters could get a similar treatment. Basically, how do you feel the rest of the cast will be written in this new continuity, what do you think they'll look like given the designs shown? What are your wishes for how the cast to be written? Any particular bit of baggage from the main continuity you wish to be ignored or explored?

• Thumbs Up 5

I think the characters that need the most re-done back story are Shadow and Silver. They are not bad characters and have really cool abilities, but their back-story's are so convoluted and personalities so bland, a re-write of them should be done. For example, have Silver not be from the future but to just be a regular friend to Sonic and Company and for Shadow to simply keep his history from SA2 and leave it at that (not stupid Black Arms BS or any of the time traveling shit from Sonic 06).

I could also see Blaze re-written to be part of Sonic's world (same with Marline) rather than in an alternate dimension and for maybe a funny love triangle (this show is a comedy, so poke some fun with shipping characters together for an episode :)) between her and Amy over Sonic (Amy is much more "saner" in Boom, so it could be funny to see her get worked up over Sonic in a natural way).

As for redesigns, I guess make the other hedgehogs taller to match Sonic's new height and for them to have cloths that represent their personalities (Shadow ironiclly having some type of Sun Glasses, Espio having a complete Ninja get up, Charmy looking like a hyper active kid, ect) and have them be faitful to the games. Other than that, I think things will be fine :). It really looks like outside of Knuckles redesign, these guy's "get" what makes the Sonic world Sonic, so I'm very interested to see how they do other classic Sonic characters :).

Let's worry about the quality of writing for these first four characters before we think about throwing more characters into the mix.

• Thumbs Up 2

In all seriousness I think Fang be a great fit for this universe, especially since he'd hardly need a redesign at all anyway to fit in with the new ones. I'd be happy to see his return.

Let's worry about the quality of writing for these first four characters before we think about throwing more characters into the mix.

Who's writing them this time around, anyway? Do we have specific names yet for who's on the project?

• Thumbs Up 2

We don't even know the extent to which they're rewriting the main quartet's backstories yet.  For all we know, there could be nothing to indicate that any previous Sonic game is non-canon.  Or they could ignore the rest of the cast and only use new characters tailor-made for Boom.

Given this, I think it's more interesting to think about how other characters would be designed, visually, rather than how they'd be written - since we know what the design standards for Boom are.  Though we can only really be confident that there'd be a lot more detail.  In which case... it would probably be hard for them to resist giving Shadow scars.  Silver would have a whole load of space-y future-y get-up, Blaze would have a bunch of bangles, stuff like that.

I'd like to see Silver become the unlucky underdog. He always seemed to have the personality of the typical shonen hero who never gives up and wants to save the world without losing his friends. And for the comedy, he would fail at everything, mostly due to bad luck. He's not incompetent, it's just that fate has a way of bending him over and finding him in the alps.

That's just how I would see Silver working in this universe without anything drastic being done with his character. One of the things that bothered me about Silver is that there was little worth in any of his conflicts, and for such a flat character, conflict is key. 

As for hidden depths, the show could explore how he got his powers later down the line and how that shaped him in the future.

As for his design, make him have a glowing jumpsuit like the comics gave him. Or anything futuristic.

If Shadow shows up, no aliens. That's it. That's all you need to do. Add some banda sports wrap, ditch the angst or at least downplay it, play up his arrogance, and we're good.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh I guess the rest could be improved literally just by actually doing stuff with them, compared to how things are now. :U But in all seriousness, a lot of the supporting cast could do for a bit of development. I suspect Boom might have a lot of these characters show up from time to time, but we'll see.

Who's writing them this time around, anyway? Do we have specific names yet for who's on the project?

I'm wondering this as well. I've heard of one or two writers but not anything like, say, the cartoon's showrunner, or the animation studio (I think it's one in France or something?). I think everyone's mostly in the dark about the game developers, aside from some big names.

Also my thoughts on the core cast since this made me think of them as well

If this Sonic has the temper that a lot of Sonic Team Sonic bios mention, I'd like to see it play into things more often. As long as it's relevant to his character and the plot, of course. I'm mostly thinking of the Adventures here--in Adventure he was almost never in control of the situation, Eggman was ahead of him for most of the game and it really got on his nerves. And then there was his hatred of Shadow in SA2...

Make Knuckles do stuff. Granted him being along for the ride in the game tells me this may have been addressed, but I don't think it can be said enough. Aside from that, I just hope they don't go the "angry Knuckles" route and focus more on his rivalry with Sonic. On a related note, Sonic actually talking to him would be nice.

Part of Amy's character is undoubtedly her feelings for Sonic, but it isn't her only character trait. Based on what we know so far I'm not too worried about her, or Tails, tho'.

Eggman I'm possibly concerned about. I mean there's apparently going to be another villain in the game, which...could go either way. Who knows, they might do something new with that classic 3D Sonic trope, and I'm sure he'l be awesome anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Shadow shows up, no aliens. That's it. That's all you need to do. Add some banda sports wrap, ditch the angst or at least downplay it, play up his arrogance, and we're good.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh I guess the rest could be improved literally just by actually doing stuff with them, compared to how things are now. :U But in all seriousness, a lot of the supporting cast could do for a bit of development. I suspect Boom might have a lot of these characters show up from time to time, but we'll see.

I'm wondering this as well, I've heard of one or two writers but not anything like, say, the cartoon's showrunner, or the animation studio (I think it's one in France or something?). I think everyone's mostly in the dark about the game developers, aside from some big names.

Also my thoughts on the core cast since this made me think of them as well

If this Sonic has the temper that a lot of Sonic Team Sonic bios mention, I'd like to see it play into things more often. As long as it's relevant to his character and the plot, of course. I'm mostly thinking of the Adventures here--in Adventure he was almost never in control of the situation, Eggman was ahead of him for most of the game and it really got on his nerves. And then there was his hatred of Shadow in SA2...

Make Knuckles do stuff. Granted him being along for the ride in the game tells me this may have been addressed, but I don't think it can be said enough. Aside from that, I just hope they don't go the "angry Knuckles" route and focus more on his rivalry with Sonic. On a related note, Sonic actually talking to him would be nice.

Part of Amy's character is undoubtedly her feelings for Sonic, but it isn't her only character trait. Based on what we know so far I'm not too worried about her, or Tails, tho'.

Eggman I'm possibly concerned about. I mean there's apparently going to be another villain in the game, which...could go either way. Who knows, they might do something new with that classic 3D Sonic trope, and I'm sure he'l be awesome anyway.

Shadow was only angsty in Heroes/Shadow the Hedgehog. In his original appearance he wasn't angsty (he did think about the past a bit, but it wasn't really angst and he was quite arrogant and always trying to beat Sonic).

Shadow DOES need to be closer to antagonist/rival in this series (and in the main series) than he has been portrayed, though.

Making Shadow not horrendously awful would be a pretty great way to kick things off.

I think Shadow was only portrayed really badly in Heroes-Shadow. Despite '06 being pretty bad, Shadow was portrayed fairly well I thought.

After '06, other than Generations Shadow hasn't even appeared in a main game. When he does pop up again I do think they need to fix up his personality a bit and showcase his true motivations for helping. I also think that he should be a proper Rival to Sonic.

But as far as backstories are concerned, honestly, at this point I'm actually seeing this series more of an alternate future rather than a full-on alternate continuity. Its possible they will just ignore anything that happened in the main series, not sure just yet. Personally, though, I hope they keep the backstories (even Shadow's stupid alien backstory) and only bring them up once in a great while (Shadow's backstory doesn't need anything more than a passing reference), instead expanding on the characters in new ways.

Assuming this is the case, in one episode focus on Angel Island and how GUN is safely guarding the Master Emerald to help Knuckles so he doesn't have to feel burdened by it all the time. Just small hints. Knuckles should still be guardian of the Master Emerald.

Granted, we don't know if GUN will even appear. I'd like to hope they will and that's how Shadow and Rouge would primarily clash with the heroes. And if GUN is off doing other things, Shadow and Rouge wouldn't have a reason to appear very often, primarily only coming into play on days off where they'd mess with the heroes.

For characters like Silver and Blaze, it'd be harder to keep around if they're in their own time/universe. Which may in fact be for the better; if they stick to their alternate dimension/time, that allows them to only appear once and a while.

Am I thinking to into it? Well, the idea was to discuss, right? Personally, I can't see much of this happening. I'd rather have this happen in the main games anyway.

While I wouldn't say that I want Shadow to show up, I am curious as to how they'd rewrite him, assuming that they wouldn't just insert an ARK into the Boomverse and redo his existing origin story. Without an ARK, a Gerald, a Maria, or a GUN, he'd be practically an entirely different character. Maybe it'd get them to put more focus on him being a rival to Sonic, rather than it being something that's more told than shown.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blaze and Marine show up, since I think they're interesting characters and the state the main series is in (both in-story and IRL) doesn't really lend to them appearing very often. Just snip the whole alternate dimension thing out of their backstory, have them come from some neighboring kingdom or something.

• Thumbs Up 5

You know what I would find funny? If they kept the alternate dimension for Blaze and Marine, and have Boom Sonic be referenced as the second Sonic to show up there. 

I get the feeling that Boom is going to be a lot less like the main series continuity than people are maybe expecting; more The Legend of Spyro than Ultimate Spider-Man (in content, not in a meta sense). SEGA's masterplan seems to be to make the two universes obviously distinct from each other, and retelling the same stories as the main games but less badly or referencing the events of those games as having happened in Boom's past would only muddy the water. Probably make it more difficult for the new writers to tell whatever story they actually want to tell, too.

I'm expecting any other characters who make the leap from SEGASonic to Boom to be even more different than the main five. Maybe similar in rough concept - Boom Rouge would still be a flirty thief (but not a spy, I bet), Boom Blaze would still be a socially awkward princess, Boom Cream would still be Amy's polite buddy - but the designs and details will probably be more likely to serve the needs of the story rather than the other way around. I'd be willing to bet a decent amount that if there's a Boom Shadow, he'll be an evil clone cooked up by Dr. Eggman or a new villain rather than anything to do with GUN or the ARK or the Black Arms or Mephiles or anything remotely like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

In all seriousness I think Fang be a great fit for this universe, especially since he'd hardly need a redesign at all anyway to fit in with the new ones. I'd be happy to see his return.

I can agree with this obviously, although I think making him a little taller and lankier like his archie appearance would be good.... and for some reason I see him with a bandoleer, not sure why just do

I get the feeling that Boom is going to be a lot less like the main series continuity than people are maybe expecting; more The Legend of Spyro than Ultimate Spider-Man (in content, not in a meta sense). SEGA's masterplan seems to be to make the two universes obviously distinct from each other, and retelling the same stories as the main games but less badly or referencing the events of those games as having happened in Boom's past would only muddy the water. Probably make it more difficult for the new writers to tell whatever story they actually want to tell, too.

I'm expecting any other characters who make the leap from SEGASonic to Boom to be even more different than the main five. Maybe similar in rough concept - Boom Rouge would still be a flirty thief (but not a spy, I bet), Boom Blaze would still be a socially awkward princess, Boom Cream would still be Amy's polite buddy - but the designs and details will probably be more likely to serve the needs of the story rather than the other way around. I'd be willing to bet a decent amount that if there's a Boom Shadow, he'll be an evil clone cooked up by Dr. Eggman or a new villain rather than anything to do with GUN or the ARK or the Black Arms or Mephiles or anything remotely like that.

Honestly, I'd rather they not go the route of an evil clone and instead redesign Shadow to look more distinct from Sonic rather than make him even CLOSER to Sonic. The way it stands now, Shadow isn't a clone of Sonic, he just resembles Sonic. In my opinion, making Shadow an "evil clone" would be a much, much worse option.

I'd rather than redesign Shadow a bit and make him more distinct from Sonic, but he can still be a villainous rival. I won't mind if they connect Shadow to Eggman's backstory a bit in this new series so long as they do it well, but I don't think Shadow would be good tied down to Eggman in any way; he should be his own character.

The main thing I would want them to keep, though, is Shadow's connections to Rouge and maybe Omega. Have them appear separately at times, but I think that a revamp would be a great way to put Shadow and his own companions into a proper rivalry with the main cast of characters.

As for others, I think it'd be cool if they made Cream a bit older and perhaps have less of a connection to Amy. At this point in time Amy is basically one of the main team, and that I LIKE. I want this to happen in the games, too. Amy is typically just a "tag along" in the games because she's chasing Sonic. Sonic's team is Tails and Knuckles. I like the idea that Amy is officially part of the team, as well which is something I want to carry over into the games.

And Blaze I can see being a rival to Amy as well if she were to appear.

One thing I wouldn't mind in the backstory is a hint to Amy's original games appearance, where its talked about that she was (and still is) in love with Sonic, but she's matured and gotten over her obsessions over Sonic now and officially became a part of the team rather than just tagged along. If Sonic had a past relationship with Blaze (even if its nothing more than being friends), I could see Amy and Blaze having a bit of a rivalry from that.

EDIT: Actually, on the note of Rouge, I really do like the idea that if this is significantly different, Rouge is a petty thief who constantly tries to get in the way of the heroes. I could potentially see her being a partner (perhaps former) of Fang if they did decide to bring Fang back. That'd be an excellent way to bring him in and give Rouge a bit of backstory as well.

Either Fang backstabbed Rouge and she later teamed up with Shadow, or Fang is a fourth member of Team Dark and all of them act as rivals to Team Sonic. Of course they might just not have a full rival Team, either, but I figured that they might do that and each individual character appears as antagonists on their own here and there and other times team up to fight the main heroes.

Not sure, just speculation. I want Fang to return back in the main canon as well, honestly. He'd be a great antagonist character.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, Team Sonic don't seem that much different from their Sega portrayals; Sonic is still a braggart, Tails is his happy go lucky sidekick, Knuckles is the muscle and friendly rival, and while we're not too sure of Amy yet, they seemed to have kept her spunk. That and Eggman seem virtually unchanged aside aesthetically.

In my eyes, if Shadow & Rouge were to show up, I'd think they'd be a sort of anti-hero rival team to Sonic's group; they actively are against Eggman, but do things their own way and clash with the group over it. It doesn't really require altering Shadow's backstory or personality either, but rather his role and dynamic.

I think the keyword when it comes to a lot of this stuff is simplicity. The Boom cartoon is going for 11-minute episodes with minimal continuity, so if a character's going to show up there at all, the basic facts of their existence need to be relatively easy to get across in a very small amount of time so the show can get on with telling a story.

I actually feel like Big would make good sense in Boom, since he's got zero backstory baggage and it looks like there'll be plenty of non-action NPC animal characters for him to fit in with, unlike in the main series where everyone else is either a superhero or Cream's mom.

I think the keyword when it comes to a lot of this stuff is simplicity. The Boom cartoon is going for 11-minute episodes with minimal continuity, so if a character's going to show up there at all, the basic facts of their existence need to be relatively easy to get across in a very small amount of time so the show can get on with telling a story.

I actually feel like Big would make good sense in Boom, since he's got zero backstory baggage and it looks like there'll be plenty of non-action NPC animal characters for him to fit in with, unlike in the main series where everyone else is either a superhero or Cream's mom.

Well its not like 11-minute episodes don't have 30 minute dramatic ones, even the prequel game is gonna be slightly more focused on narrative. I really don't believe that the entire show is gonna be so light on continuity, some things have to stick. Even Adventure Time gives some backstory for the characters while keeping the pace.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, Team Sonic don't seem that much different from their Sega portrayals; Sonic is still a braggart, Tails is his happy go lucky sidekick, Knuckles is the muscle and friendly rival, and while we're not too sure of Amy yet, they seemed to have kept her spunk. That and Eggman seem virtually unchanged aside aesthetically.

In my eyes, if Shadow & Rouge were to show up, I'd think they'd be a sort of anti-hero rival team to Sonic's group; they actively are against Eggman, but do things their own way and clash with the group over it. It doesn't really require altering Shadow's backstory or personality either, but rather his role and dynamic.

Agreed, I do think that Shadow and Rouge would be the anti-hero rival team to Sonic's group. The question, though, is who would they add with them? Omega would be an obvious third, but "Amy" is officially part of Team Sonic now. The original team was Shadow, Rouge, and Omega to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. With Amy, they'd have to find another character added to Shadow's team to make them a full-on rival team.

I brought up Fang before, and I don't mind Fang, I think he'd be a great addition. I don't necessarily think he'd fit with Shadow's team, though. Personally I think Blaze would be good; she'd be a rival to Amy and she's the more reserved type of character. The only problem with Blaze is she's in an alternate dimension (unless they just ignore the alternate dimension bit) and she's never really interacted with Shadow.

Fang would be more of a villain, so unless Shadow's team was made outright villains (I can see them being antagonists, but not villains), Fang wouldn't fit well with them. If he were to fit, though, I'd see him as Tails' rival, Rouge as Amy's rival and Omega as Knuckles' rival. Overall I still think Blaze would be a better fit.

The other option is Silver... I just don't see him being a rival to Amy.

Of course, there's no guarantee they'd go this route at all. I just think that, if they have a rival team, there'd be one more to rival Amy as well and Rouge is usually Knuckles' rival. In the typical set up, I would see Omega as Knuckles' rival in strength and Tails' rival in intellect/gadgets (due to being a robot and being the more techy one in Shadow's team). With Fang as an addition, Fang would probably be the more techy one due to using technology constantly in his past appearances, and with Blaze she has shown outright rivalry with Amy.

At the same time, again, if they do have a "rival team," I don't expect them to appear very often, and in fact, they'd probably only have a couple of them appear here and there occasionally and only have the full team assembled during specific events.

Well its not like 11-minute episodes don't have 30 minute dramatic ones, even the prequel game is gonna be slightly more focused on narrative. I really don't believe that the entire show is gonna be so light on continuity, some things have to stick. Even Adventure Time gives some backstory for the characters while keeping the pace.

Based on the prequel it does seem to have more backstory and narrative than what we've first been led to believe. Although it'll be based on more humor, it does still appear there will be continuity as well and I can imagine some episodes being two parts, making a full 22 minute episode.

Agreed, I do think that Shadow and Rouge would be the anti-hero rival team to Sonic's group. The question, though, is who would they add with them? Omega would be an obvious third, but "Amy" is officially part of Team Sonic now. The original team was Shadow, Rouge, and Omega to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. With Amy, they'd have to find another character added to Shadow's team to make them a full-on rival team.

I brought up Fang before, and I don't mind Fang, I think he'd be a great addition. I don't necessarily think he'd fit with Shadow's team, though. Personally I think Blaze would be good; she'd be a rival to Amy and she's the more reserved type of character. The only problem with Blaze is she's in an alternate dimension (unless they just ignore the alternate dimension bit) and she's never really interacted with Shadow.

Fang would be more of a villain, so unless Shadow's team was made outright villains (I can see them being antagonists, but not villains), Fang wouldn't fit well with them. If he were to fit, though, I'd see him as Tails' rival, Rouge as Amy's rival and Omega as Knuckles' rival. Overall I still think Blaze would be a better fit.

The other option is Silver... I just don't see him being a rival to Amy.

Of course, there's no guarantee they'd go this route at all. I just think that, if they have a rival team, there'd be one more to rival Amy as well and Rouge is usually Knuckles' rival. In the typical set up, I would see Omega as Knuckles' rival in strength and Tails' rival in intellect/gadgets (due to being a robot and being the more techy one in Shadow's team). With Fang as an addition, Fang would probably be the more techy one due to using technology constantly in his past appearances, and with Blaze she has shown outright rivalry with Amy.

At the same time, again, if they do have a "rival team," I don't expect them to appear very often, and in fact, they'd probably only have a couple of them appear here and there occasionally and only have the full team assembled during specific events.

I think they should just use Shadow & Rouge honestly; Omega was just added to fill a third slot for Sonic Heroes, but beyond that their dynamic didn't evolve much. Not that I am against Omega being added, but the dynamic has always been primarily Shadow & Rouge, if Omega were to be added, they really need to give him some characterization so he meshes with the other two better. 

As for who's a rival to who, just keep what's already established; Sonic & Shadow, and Knuckles & Rouge. Tails & Amy can act as "sub-Rivals" so to speak, but I don't really think its necessary for them to have a rivalry with anyone. 

I wonder if the Chaotix will show up anytime soon. Out of all the characters who'd fit in a comedy based continuity, you'd think they'd be the best group to show up.

I would like to see some added personality traits to Cream the Rabbit. I don't find her that bad as a character, but "look at me, I'm cute" is really all I get from her. Yeah, she may be one of the cutest Sonic characters, but she also feels like one of the most one dimensional. Give her some elements of sarcasm and a sense of humor, I would appreciate that. Give her a totally new outfit too, her dress would not fit in with Sonic Boom's art style and other new character designs at all.

I would not mind seeing some added complexity of the Chaotix as well. Vector can remain untouched for all I care, but maybe play with his greediness and goofy personality a bit. Tone down Charmy's obnoxiousness so he isn't one of the most annoying Sonic characters anymore, and make him a useful part of the team for once. As for Espio, don't focus on just the ninja aspect of him, and make him a bit more arrogant and humorous, until it inevitably bites him in the ass.

Oh, and don't give Espio a completely cliche' Ninja outfit, for the love of god.

I would like to see some added personality traits to Cream the Rabbit. I don't find her that bad as a character, but "look at me, I'm cute" is really all I get from her. Yeah, she may be one of the cutest Sonic characters, but she also feels like one of the most one dimensional. Give her some elements of sarcasm and a sense of humor, I would appreciate that. Give her a totally new outfit too, her dress would not fit in with Sonic Boom's art style and other new character designs at all.

I would not mind seeing some added complexity of the Chaotix as well. Vector can remain untouched for all I care, but maybe play with his greediness and goofy personality a bit. Tone down Charmy's obnoxiousness so he isn't one of the most annoying Sonic characters anymore, and make him a useful part of the team for once. As for Espio, don't focus on just the ninja aspect of him, and make him a bit more arrogant and humorous, until it inevitably bites him in the ass.

Oh, and don't give Espio a completely cliche' Ninja outfit, for the love of god.

Ninja's were more prone to dress like common citizens than to dress in dark clothes. That idea was popularized by stage hands in plays that wore blank and were just supposed to "be ignored" until eventually the idea came in to make some actually affect the play, popularizing the modern ninja.

Plus, well... rule of cool and all.

Yes, I did the research. :P

Espio should have a bit more of an arrogant attitude, and he shouldn't wear stereotypical ninja outfits. But they'll probably make him do that anyway if he does appear. Chaotix should definitely appear as comic relief bumbling detectives, though. Personally, I think the Babylon Rogues would be good comic relief recurring minor antagonists.

• Thumbs Up 1

For Shadow, keep the backstory or make it similar, but ditch the Black Arms aliens. Like completely. This is the one place Shadow can completely forgo it. And don't be too proud to make him laugh, smile, put him in funny situations with other characters, etc. He doesn't need to be dark and broody all the time, even Batman emotes more than that.

For Rouge? Well, make more use of her than Sonic Team has, and make her as independent but capable of teamwork. Really, not that hard to top.

Big? I don't like him outside of Archie Comics where he is absolutely awesome. If anything, use the comics as a reference for this character, but all in all he shouldn't be too hard to improve.

Beyond that, the only other thing I can say for them is to just not make any of the characters suck. And make more use of them than being cheerleaders. With this being story heavy, and with people who worked on Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet and Clank, and whoever else is doing the script for the TV series, this really shouldn't be too hard. It amazes me how Sonic Team consistently fail at this, so this will definitely convince them to get their act right once and for all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For Shadow, keep the backstory or make it similar, but ditch the Black Arms aliens. Like completely. This is the one place Shadow can completely forgo it. And don't be too proud to make him laugh, smile, put him in funny situations with other characters, etc. He doesn't need to be dark and broody all the time, even Batman emotes more than that.

For Rouge? Well, make more use of her than Sonic Team has, and make her as independent but capable of teamwork. Really, not that hard to top.

Big? I don't like him outside of Archie Comics where he is absolutely awesome. If anything, use the comics as a reference for this character, but all in all he shouldn't be too hard to improve.

Beyond that, the only other thing I can say for them is to just not make any of the characters suck. And make more use of them than being cheerleaders. With this being story heavy, and with people who worked on Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet and Clank, and whoever else is doing the script for the TV series, this really shouldn't be too hard. It amazes me how Sonic Team consistently fail at this, so this will definitely convince them to get their act right once and for all. 

Shadow, Rouge, and Omega can all work independently and as companions. I definitely don't think they should eliminate Team Dark either in the games or in this new series (assuming they appear, and I doubt they'll be absent) and Shadow and Rouge should still have that fellow companionship. At the same time, they don't ALWAYS need to be together. Sonic Chronicles was a decent take on this, though I think they distanced Shadow and Rouge a tad bit too much as the two barely interact with each other.

In the games, I almost want them to retcon the Black Arms deal in a future title where its revealed Black Doom barely had anything to do with Shadow's creation. Although I'm sure most people would rather it not be brought up at all. It definitely doesn't need to be brought up in this series, though. They can talk about Shadow having been in suspended animation for fifty years a bit if they want, perhaps referencing Professor Gerald, but only when directly discussing things related to Eggman's past.

And yeah, Shadow can show emotion, too. A wide variety of emotions. He can have somewhat of a cocky sarcastic personality at times, which he does show in both SA2 and Heroes a bit (primarily only in the Team Sonic vs. Team Dark intro; of course the battle dialog completely contradicts the intro cutscene :P).