Awoo.

NES Remix (1 and 2) (Wii U) - WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S A SEQUEL ALREADY

Cola

I was hoping for my dream HD remaster of the original Legend of Zelda. I was dissapointed.

That's not really a big loss...

• Thumbs Up 1

It is though.

Most of the Classic NES games play like shit. Black Box games are no exception.

I imagine dumbasses would bitch about them "SULLYING THE BEAUTIFUL ORIGINALS DX", but they really do control like complete shit. Zelda 1 and Metroid especially.

We already have Zero Mission, it's way past due that they give one of their most popular franchises the same treatment.

They missed a big opprotunity.

I'm pretty interested in getting this, however I'm not interested in spending 15 dollars on it I don't think. I mean it is 12 NES games, but as far as I can tell there's no actual way to play the regular came (would be a neat unlock for doing all of one game's challenge though). It looks like a great pick up and play game, though that said I kinda wish it was on 3DS.

I think my favorite part of the game though is how many challenges teach you about the game. Many of them show you the game secrets that would otherwise be hard or near impossible to find on your own (like some of those hidden bombed caves in the original Zelda) without looking up on the internet. I guess some might say it'd ruin the magic of discovering this shit on your own, but we're coming up on 30 years here in a few years on a lot of these games XD.

The actual remixed challenges though is what has me personally. Playing Link in the classic Donkey Kong sounds fucking amazing, and can't wait for what other crazy ideas hide in there. Again, I just wish there was the full game, especially with some of these crazy ideas, but *shrugs*.

IDK maybe I'll pick it up later if I'm that bored, but I still feel like it should've been like 10 bucks, at max even. $15 is a bit steep for something like this me thinks.

Yeah I'd like this more if there was a way to play the original, untouched games as a bonus. They're available via other means, but it would be a nice way to round out the package.

I can understand the originals not being available.  If they were I'm pretty sure there'd be no reason to sell them separately at all without putting a hefty price tag on this, it'd be kind of a no brainer as to whether to buy NES Remix or buy all the NES games you want individually if the total price was more than NES Remix.

I caved and bought this because it looked really quirky.  It's fun so far, haven't played much yet though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can understand the originals not being available.  If they were I'm pretty sure there'd be no reason to sell them separately at all without putting a hefty price tag on this, it'd be kind of a no brainer as to whether to buy NES Remix or buy all the NES games you want individually if the total price was more than NES Remix.

Really I'm just tired of Nintendo charging 4-5 bucks for NES games and $15 is the amount I'm willing to pay for twelve of them. Plus, they hardly ever do compilations, let alone worthwhile ones; had Nintendo charged $1-2 per game in the first place, this would have made for a nice collection title, even if it was priced 5 dollars more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say I am quite interested with this eShop title, looks quite fun and challenging for an assortment of 16 NES games, but I am holding out until I hear some impressions before I go and purchase this title.

Really I'm just tired of Nintendo charging 4-5 bucks for NES games and $15 is the amount I'm willing to pay for twelve of them. Plus, they hardly ever do compilations, let alone worthwhile ones; had Nintendo charged $1-2 per game in the first place, this would have made for a nice collection title, even if it was priced 5 dollars more.

I am not an avid Virtual Console buyer unless they are on sale, given at certain promotions, or if their original cartridges are extremely rare / expensive to acquire (ie. Earthbound). The 3DS' Ambassador's Program and the Famicom 30th Anniversary promo are the only VC games I have ever opted for. Aside from their standard prices which are a bit too unbalanced, I am more keen on building a retro collection myself, hence why I end up sparing the Virtual Console.

Also, a cross-buy system would benefit a hell of a lot to the Virtual Console catalog, as I can play the same game I purchased on both my 3DS and the Wii U without having to pay twice. Integrating the Nintendo Network IDs and the eShop Wallets is certainly a good first step, yet I hope they ever bring the aforementioned cross-buy functionality...

I have it, and it's freakin' addicting. I've been playing for hours and still haven't unlocked all the games. There's got to be at least 50 or so remix challenges to go on top of it (haven't gotten all those either). This was made by the devs of Retro Game challenge, so if you liked that I'd suggest you look into it. I love it myself.

It's still pretty fun and a great pick-up and play game but it's still somewhat flawed.  If you're used to the refined controls of the Mario 3/Mario Advance versions of Mario Bros., prepare for paaaain.  Mario controls terribly, it's near unplayable.

I also found the first Pinball remix (10,000 points with one ball) brutally chance based and unfair, likewise for the first Golf remix (get to the green in two strokes or less x3 - I got so many Game Overs).

It's still pretty fun and a great pick-up and play game but it's still somewhat flawed.  If you're used to the refined controls of the Mario 3/Mario Advance versions of Mario Bros., prepare for paaaain.  Mario controls terribly, it's near unplayable.

I also found the first Pinball remix (10,000 points with one ball) brutally chance based and unfair, likewise for the first Golf remix (get to the green in two strokes or less x3 - I got so many Game Overs).

When I played the original Mario Bros. unlocked on Super Mario 3D World a few weeks ago, I remember having a hell of a lot of trouble controlling Mario: he felt way too stiff to control his jumps. I even struggled on my attempt to perfect the first bonus stage. On my revisit to Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB3) for the Holiday Gaming Awards, I played the Mario Bros. remake and the controls were way more refined indeed.

Does this mean some of the NES games featured in the mix got the exact same controls from their original release too? I would like to hear more examples, since I am interested on buying this game sometime soon.

Yeah all the NES games appear unaltered here.  Even the Remixes don't have their controls refined, they just have visual effects and minor tweaks added (playing as Link in Donkey Kong seems really cool but it's basically just "beat this level without jumping" - you can't use your sword).

• 1 month later...

Sequel Incoming, and this time it has games people actually want to play.

Now the sequel I might actualy get, though it also depends on price point..... although I wonder if you who already own the first shall get a discount on the sequel

a wild fact sheet appears

Take on rapid-fire challenges from classic NES™ games remixed with mind-bending twists.

Play as Link™ while running from Boos, nab coins as Kirby™ in Super Mario Bros., and much more! We’re talking epic gameplay set pieces from the likes of Kid Icarus™, Metroid™, Super Mario Bros.™ 2, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™—the list goes on!

Tackle the best parts of beloved retro games like Punch-Out!!™ Featuring Mr. Dream and Super Mario Bros. 3 while sharing videos of your greatest feats in the NES Remix Miiverse™ community.* NES Remix 2 also features two exciting new modes. The unlockable Super Luigi Bros. stars our nervous hero, Luigi™, and dares players to beat each level of the original Super Mario Bros. backward! The other new mode has you trying for high scores in three rapid-fire levels from different NES games, using the scoring system from the 1990 Nintendo World Championships.

Conquer redesigned and twist-filled 8-bit challenges

Features snippets of a dozen more 8-bit Nintendo games

Replay stages to improve times and unlock more challenges

Take on two new modes: NES Championship and Super Luigi Bros.

Share your accomplishments with Miiverse™ online communities*

*Broadband Internet access required for online features. Learn more at support.nintendo.com.

I still haven't downloaded a copy of the first game, but the second installment has got very interesting choices ranging from Super Mario Bros 2, USA and 3 to Kid Icarus, Metroid, Zelda 2 and even Kirby's Adventure. May actually drag me into a purchase this time, especially with Kirby's Adventure bundled in the mix (cannot deny it, love that game so much). X3

Ya, but if Kirby ends up in Metroid, what happens if he and a metroid meet? who shall eat who, and what would happen if he asorbed a metroid?

Ya, but if Kirby ends up in Metroid, what happens if he and a metroid meet? who shall eat who, and what would happen if he asorbed a metroid?

Hmmm... you know, Kirby meeting a Metroid was actually done back on Kirby's Dream Land 3...

cameo_kd301.gif

Ice ability is the answer to kill 'em all.

Although if we have to push the boundaries... I think a Metroid Kirby would be insatiable and deadly. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

New trailer for NES Remix 2.

Owning both NES Remix and its sequel unlocks Championship Mode within NES Remix 2

I may never get my Mario 2 sequel but it looks like I'll have SOME new contexts/areas to play Mario 2 gameplay with here, yay.