Awoo.

Interview with Ken Pontac & Warren Graf.

Kuzu

I hardly think a few lines of dialogue from one cutscene that was never brought up again qualify as "an important part of the story"

That and how Tails feels about Sonic regarding it drive or color basically everything he does in the story past that point.

Neither does Sonic messing up and making up for his mistakes, because he doesn't. He rushes in, fucks up, feels bad about it, then does absolutely nothing. Then in Silent Forest he rushes in, fucks up, feels bad, and still does absolutely fucking nothing.

It's only "nothing" if you expect him to come right out and say "boy I sure was dumb for rushing in and I definitely won't do it again!". They have something of a subtle touch here, not the 10-ton club of games like Heroes.

or Tails getting over his jealousy and starting to respect Eggman,

Because he was kind of justified in feeling slighted and Eggman isn't really respectable.

or Sonic learning to respect Tails.

Literally not even paying attention to the game now. Skip to about 27:35, the cutscene after the last boss, since Youtube's being a pain about linking to a specific time.

Continue ruling Lost Hex?

This'd be a fine explaination if there was any inkling of life beyond them even existing on Lost Hex.

This'd be a fine explaination if there was any inkling of life beyond them even existing on Lost Hex.

There's sheep. e: and worms. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's sheep. e: and worms.

And the small animals too, if they existed on Lost Hex before Eggman showed up.

Edited by Briraka

Please. People. It's obvious. Tails is a gifted mechanic who can fix a bi-plane propeller with a tooth pick, but his one flaw is his lack of knowledge of robots. For some reason, he seems to believe making robots is the same principle as breaking them. That's why he screwed up.

Yes I am being sarcastic.

It is surprising that they would have to write the story on their own like that, aka not be given the background information needed to make the stories better. They did a good job with what they had of course. I do think, if they already haven't at this point, they should be given a full set of history for them to study during the time between the current game and whenever the next game is asked of them. That way, no matter what script Sonic Team would want them to follow, they would at least have all the proper background info and knowledge to fill it in as needed. You can always fill in a requested story with your own material as long as you have the background material and knowledge to fill the gaps between the main story points and the little information between them.

Also, I'm glad they are showing some more of the smarty butt Tails in this game. He needs to put his foot down against Sonic a bit more I feel yes. He isn't perfect, since he has picked up Sonic's show offy habits after being around him for awhile, in that he wasn't that careful with the robot he stuck the head onto and nearly gets himself offed in return. He is smart, but some of Sonic's habits do appear to have rubbed off onto him over time. Even he can get sloppy, plus, someone with a high IQ can still miss obvious things that a more simple person may find obvious to them, but to the genius, may not be fully clear because they are way over thinking it.

As for the sheep, I'm not sure why sheep don't like hedgehog's so much. ^^;

It makes me angry.
He got a job as "Scenario Writer" and he even bother to learn story of the franchise. And it shows his "professional" skills.

Let's give a script to monkey and give her a banana. The result will be the same and even more profitable.
It's better way than ruining a franchise and feed the fans sluggish plot.

I personally hope that after all this history fans come to their senses and create a petition for his dismissal and bring back Shiro Maekawa.
Edited by Mefiresu

1:Petitions never work, especially int he context of the Sonic fanbase

2: Who is Shiro? I assume he's the writer of the Adventure games considering everyone who isn't fond of the current staff wants a similar Adventure tone of writing again.

It makes me angry.
He got a job as "Scenario Writer" and he even bother to study story of the franchise. And it shows his "professional" skills.

Let's give a script to monkey and give her a banana. The result will be the same and even more profitable.

I personally hope that after all this history fans come to their senses and create a petition for his dismissal and bring back Shiro Maekawa.

It doesn't matter what Pontac or Graff does.

Sonic Team write the story. 

It makes me angry.
He got a job as "Scenario Writer" and he even bother to study story of the franchise. And it shows his "professional" skills.

Geez, rude much?

I think the stories could also be written better when it comes to narrative details, but at least give him some credit for trying with what he had (which was essentially jack shit provided by Sega), even if it isn't your cup of tea.

And on top of that as Scar said Sonic Team wrote the story. They could bring back Shiro and ban Pontac and Graff from the HQ grounds and nothing would change.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

Yeah, the story has such a mixed bag of stories that all you really have to know are the character personalities and their background and it doesn't really matter what you do with the story.

It would help to study older games to get an idea on both the general activity level of the characters, as well the fact that it was common for there to be a specific reason for the task of completing each level. Personality isn't the only thing that makes a story.

• Thumbs Up 5

Would that really solve anything? I mean, if Sonic Team is really as apathetic about having a cohesive narrative in a Sonic game as they apparently are, then this wouldn't really do much of anything (except probably make the dialogue and characterization worse).

... as well the fact that it was common for there to be a specific reason for the task of completing each level.

Is it that common?

The only 3D Sonic game before Unleashed that kind of lacked that level of agency was Heroes, and even then the teams were constantly following someone anyway for their own personal reasons. Otherwise, someone was getting kidnapped, some town was getting destroyed, someone was following the B-plot along, someone was trying to infiltrate a place. I don't particularly remember the 3D games being stuck with some overall problem that you merely had to clean up.

It would help to study older games to get an idea on both the general activity level of the characters, as well the fact that it was common for there to be a specific reason for the task of completing each level. Personality isn't the only thing that makes a story.

True, but the personality does play a huge part and really the story can still be pretty good even without knowing completely all of the past games stories.

True, but the personality does play a huge part and really the story can still be pretty good even without knowing completely all of the past games stories.

I'm not saying get rid of personality, or that the writers have done a particularly bad job in that department. I'm saying even with interesting characters to go around, the actual plots aren't as interesting as they used to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

It makes me angry.
He got a job as "Scenario Writer" and he even bother to learn story of the franchise. And it shows his "professional" skills.

From what I can tell, the stories Shiro had a hand in were Sonic Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic  06, and Zero gravity. That's not really a very good track record. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Does anyone else find it quite intriguing that the Adventure games never crossed Pontac's path during his research?