Awoo.

SOE's Linda Carlson: "We will ban anyone from the PSN for actions taken on any social network"

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah I'll probably make a separate email for PSN and not link it to anything if this is true. That way there's no way they can spy on me for that reason. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm guessing the alternate account would work, but as others mentioned, scouting around for bullies on other sites and trying to link them to people using your product would be a total waste of time and require more than one person full time just browsing online looking for bad people doing things like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this policy would have been great for all the screaming 8 year olds on call of duty threatening to kill others and fuck their moms in the ass, but they're on xbox. I'm not an ass to anybody in general really so this won't effect me, unless they function like Club Penguin's banning system...

Would people stop this "They are only on Xbox" myth? You can encounter this on every system, granted its rarer on Nintendo systems but still happens on PSN and PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Might be reactionary to the whole "Online Bullying" situation. There have been a few very prominent cases of people who were abused on twitter/facebook etc. committing suicide. Stuff like this is getting in the news more and more.

And I'm pretty sure that they're going to investigate such situations prior to actually throwing down the ban-hammer. But that's just me being optmistic.

Anyway, if its a huge enough issue, take to Twitter. Sony are surprisingly responsive to this kind of thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure they have people out in the community who you can contact, specifically for this purpose.

EDIT: I'm sure they don't want much bad press after their initial PR successes.

Edited by Scar

I see this as a great thing; I imagine there are a lot of people out there playing a game online with some buddy's, only to get harassed by some prick over and over again (think the annoying COD kids on XBL), running the experience. This is Sony's way to mandate light control over that and provide a great online environment for there users (the PSN community in general is great; when I played COD Black Ops, didn't here a single annoying kid that people find on XBL so often).

It also tries to solve the greater issue of online bullying and with the PS4 having a very Facebook/Twitter-esc message system, I would imagine them generating road-blocks to prevent that bullying to be on there service. Them tampering with peoples Twitter/YouTube/Facebook accounts for this type of thing is interesting (as those services are out of Sony's control), and while it at first generate frustration to the PSN community, there's always the option to separate your Email from you PSN ID, so there shouldn't be much issues there :).

• Thumbs Up 1

I see this as a great thing; I imagine there are a lot of people out there playing a game online with some buddy's, only to get harassed by some prick over and over again (think the annoying COD kids on XBL), running the experience. This is Sony's way to mandate light control over that and provide a great online environment for there users (the PSN community in general is great; when I played COD Black Ops, didn't here a single annoying kid that people find on XBL so often).

It also tries to solve the greater issue of online bullying and with the PS4 having a very Facebook/Twitter-esc message system, I would imagine them generating road-blocks to prevent that bullying to be on there service. Them tampering with peoples Twitter/YouTube/Facebook accounts for this type of thing is interesting (as those services are out of Sony's control), and while it at first generate frustration to the PSN community, there's always the option to separate your Email from you PSN ID, so there shouldn't be much issues there smile.png.

I just... I don't understand how you can see this as "great" at all.  I read your message several times over and still don't see a single positive thing about it. 

Don't get me wrong, I hate the nature of online gaming.  I don't like the hostile environments and all the offensive slurs being passed around like particularly gross-tasting candies, but this is not the way you prevent that.  This is invasive and tyrannical.  I pay for a service so that I can have access to the online capabilities of games and DLC's and the like, not to be monitored to ensure I'm a good little angel in all aspects of my life, especially on platforms that are completely out of their jurisdiction.  Aside from the most obvious factor (that it's not their business anyway), there's simply too much room for error and confusion for this to ever be a good idea.

Sure, you could "remedy" the situation by just having a separate email for PSN, and not connecting it to your social media accounts, but that's completely counter-intuitive.  I can't speak for everyone, but I know a lot of us like to... I don't know... personalize our consoles?  When I own my own console, I really like to make it my own.  I connect to social media sites because I want to use it on my account.  There is absolutely no reason why anyone should have to be afraid to use certain features because of the actions of the company who shouldn't have even been snooping around in your personal sites to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 2

The hell? It's none of Sony's business what I do elsewhere. I don't get why they'd even think it'd be a good idea to say this. Did they really expect this to get good press?

I just mean that its good that Sony is trying to make there community safe, but you guys are right that they shouldn't look into our other information from other services (as that's outside of its feld, they only have full control over PSN). I didn't mean to start things up, just thought that its good that they are playing a role in the fight to end cyberbullying (which is a very bad thing, and to have that happen under Sony's servies would give them quite the bad image).

I just... I don't understand how you can see this as "great" at all.  I read your message several times over and still don't see a single positive thing about it. 

Don't get me wrong, I hate the nature of online gaming.  I don't like the hostile environments and all the offensive slurs being passed around like particularly gross-tasting candies, but this is not the way you prevent that.  This is invasive and tyrannical.  I pay for a service so that I can have access to the online capabilities of games and DLC's and the like, not to be monitored to ensure I'm a good little angel in all aspects of my life, especially on platforms that are completely out of their jurisdiction.  Aside from the most obvious factor (that it's not their business anyway), there's simply too much room for error and confusion for this to ever be a good idea.

Sure, you could "remedy" the situation by just having a separate email for PSN, and not connecting it to your social media accounts, but that's completely counter-intuitive.  I can't speak for everyone, but I know a lot of us like to... I don't know... personalize our consoles?  When I own my own console, I really like to make it my own.  I connect to social media sites because I want to use it on my account.  There is absolutely no reason why anyone should have to be afraid to use certain features because of the actions of the company who shouldn't have even been snooping around in your personal sites to begin with.

Your right there, as we spend hundreds of dollars on our systems and games, we have the right to do was we please with them and the platform holder "watching" us as we play our games or use other services like Facebook/Youtube/Netfilx is really unnerving.

Your right there, as we spend hundreds of dollars on our systems and games, we have the right to do was we please with them and the platform holder "watching" us as we play our games or use other services like Facebook/Youtube/Netfilx is really unnerving.

With how these companies are acting over their console and games these days, they really would love it if they could control every single aspect of the games and consoles. They definately don't want us doing as we please with our consoles, thus where all that DRM stuff has come from lately from what I've heard people tell me. We are sort of in the middle of all this where we as customers want to do what we want because we bought the product, and the companies want to control every aspect of it and not let us do anything, saying we don't own the things we bought.

And where as if I'd made a console, the games would be decently priced with a proper discount and resale system in effect so that piracy wouldn't exist in the first place [or at least be considerablly lowered].

And where as if I'd made a console, the games would be decently priced with a proper discount and resale system in effect so that piracy wouldn't exist in the first place [or at least be considerablly lowered].

A swell idea, if you didn't care about losing the business of several major publishers.